7mm Project 33

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Scott,
Have your locos been narrowed and stretched? They seem much better proportioned than the standard Lima shell - perhaps it's just neat painting and realistic views...?
Steph

The Penguin Of Doom

Western Thunderer
Nice work on the Blue 33 Phill, improves the Lima loco no end.

If I might be permitted to join in on the cost discussion, my recent conversion of a Heljan class 33 to class 27 cost me somewhere in the region of £250 all in. By sourcing spares one can make it quite cost effective and whilst I was doing this one and our 2 × class 26s, a few lucky enquiries with Howes of Oxford yielded some quite cheap.spares in the form of spare bodies and chassis blocks etc. The removal of one motor bogie from a powered Heljan 26 yeilded the 27s power plant and 2 x PRMRP bogies made up a non powered bogie for each.

If you shop around and with a bit of luck, 7mm can be good value for money.

Cheers.

Sean.

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I must get round to going to Howes, last time I was in the shop was before it moved to the industrial estate, even remember them being in Broad Street in Oxford.

Ian G

isleofthanet

Western Thunderer
I must get round to going to Howes, last time I was in the shop was before it moved to the industrial estate, even remember them being in Broad Street in Oxford.

Ian G
I was lucky and got the last but one Heljan 33 body in green from them with no yellow panels, set of sideframes off a Cl 26 which are similar but missing sandboxes at one end, all the other plastic parts plus b beams and spare window sets etc AND their last Western body, that being a strange blue, u/frame in grey and b beams maroon!!!
Only problem with the 33 is that the body moulding is the later type with different exhaust and roof retaining clips. Some of the last 33's made were green with this later exhaust but the roof clips came later in 1967 I think.
I intend to use right angle brass for motor mounts on both and get the chassis etches from Peter Besant and build up in the normal way.
Wont be yet as have to finish the D600 which i have been working on lately.