7mm RJH GWR Railcar No27

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
A friend has been given a rather nicely finished RJH GWR Railcar and asked me if I could 'reduce the noise' :eek:

I took delivery earlier this week and took the opportunity of having a go whilst a new condensing boiler was being installed yesterday.

P1000567.JPG

P1000569.JPG

When I turned the model over I was pleasantly surprised that I did not have to remove the floor to release the bogie as it screws to a swivel plate. The motor unit is a self contained in a diecast housing - see below, which is held together with 8BA bolts.

IMG_20161006_093013-001.jpg

Removing the bolts gives you the above view. I was surprised at the small neat open framed motor (the windings are just visible either side of the top plate) I removed the two drive shafts and cleaned the gears in a meths bath and then used a toothbrush to finish off. The gearwheels on the axles were treated in a similar manner but with the meths applied with a cotton bud and then I used a scalpel to clear out the gunk between the teeth. Hob-e-lube Noly grease was then applied to all of the gears and the unit re-assembled and fitted to the chassis, pick-ups were then re-soldered to the trailing bogie.

With the top casing refitted to the motor, there is no real space for much adjusting to the set of the gear wheel on the axle but I managed a slight easing.

The model was then put on the rolling road and ran at 10v for half an hour in both directions and was much much quieter. It will be going home to Anglesey next week.

cheers

Mike