7mm Road Vehicles

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Nice work. :thumbs:

Would there be retaining bar or strap to hold the battery in its cradle?

Hi Heather,

There's nothing that stands out obvious in any photos I've found, (except for tipper bodies with twin batteries). It's been far too many years to remember with any clarity, but I have a feeling there were two small pressed plates that hooked over moulded lips on the battery sides and screwed down to the bottom of the tray.

Colin

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Eek! :eek: ...Found this whilst I was searching for another 1/2 finished kit.

Dates on posts above indicate it's been tucked away in a box for a year! :eek: Note to self... 'must finish some of my 1/2 started projects!

(Phil... Humble apologies... I promised update photos of this a long, long time ago!)

003e.jpg

001e.jpg

002e.jpg

005e.jpg

004e.jpg

....I will get on and finish it!

Colin.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Colin,

That looks really nice. I have a corgi cement mixer on my bench ready to convert in to a curtainsider. :thumbs:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I recently purchased and built these two Tamiya 1:48 US vehicles for use on my next layout set during WW2 so I can have the US army (and British army) on a training exercise in the background. Both the figures and vehicles being 1:48 it should also force the perspective a bit.

The vehicles were built as per the instructions and enjoyable to put together. They have been painted and lightly weathered with Vallejo acrylics.

Now just to find a 1:48/1:43 Italeri Opel Blitz to convert to a UK Bedford version.

USA jeep.jpg
US Jeep

USA truck.jpg
GMC 6x6 truck

Having seen the photos I need to run these vehicles over a sheet of sandpaper to flatten the tyres as if they are carrying weight, and no, I'm not going to add bulges to the tyres. It would also benefit if the canvas was scraped at the edge to make it appear thinner. Back to the workbench.....

Rippers

Western Thunderer
View attachment 32699

....I will get on and finish it!

Colin.

Cracking model Colin

Dont forget that dependingon which body style these had the roof could actually be completely translucent

https://www.flickr.com/photos/merf29/5194665537/in/pool-1734047@N24/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/merf29/5171819890/in/pool-1734047@N24/
Couple of handy shots here form Merfyns useful website!
yl2.jpg

I tend to depict this kind of roof with a paint effect on my 4mm vehicles (though remember the framing which shows through will differ depending on whether the body is contructed and painted bofore or after the roof panel is installed.
yl1.jpg

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Cracking model Colin

Dont forget that dependingon which body style these had the roof could actually be completely translucent

https://www.flickr.com/photos/merf29/5194665537/in/pool-1734047@N24/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/merf29/5171819890/in/pool-1734047@N24/
Couple of handy shots here form Merfyns useful website!

I tend to depict this kind of roof with a paint effect on my 4mm vehicles (though remember the framing which shows through will differ depending on whether the body is contructed and painted bofore or after the roof panel is installed.

Thank you,

I don't recall driving one with a translucent roof. My experience was with later vehicles like your Ford Cargo. I wonder if the fibre roof was expensive and despecified in later years? It would be interesting to know how many different coachbuilders actually built the bodies and how much latitude they had, (or got away with), with some of the specs?

Great photos. If I could find a suitable donor vehicle for the cab front, I'd love to have a go at modelling the 6 seat Sherpa pick-up that you can just see near the front. I had two of those for my team in the early 90's. Really dependable workhorses!

Colin

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I recently purchased and built these two Tamiya 1:48 US vehicles for use on my next layout set during WW2 so I can have the US army (and British army) on a training exercise in the background. Both the figures and vehicles being 1:48 it should also force the perspective a bit......

Nice kits those, Dave. Your post highlights the shortage of suitable 1/43 wheelie stuff.

Having said that, the MVs on the lovely Hospital Gates layout look just fine - I believe they are all 1/48. In fact it was this layout made me question why I'm so paranoid / obsessive about trying to keep everything 1/43. I do like the idea of perspective (remember those stunning Jack (Nelson??) LNWR dioramas of the late 60s?).

I have been collecting some 1/48 vintage heavy earthmoving stuff for my impending layout - all of which will need a bit of perspective in any case. But that is the limit - 1/50 is a degree of shrinkage too far…...:eek:

If you're after a 1/43 Jimmy to enhance the perspective thing a bit more (would look good close to the railway with your 1/48 further back), there is a bit of 1/43 MV 'RTR' stuff out there but not easy to sniff out.

So far I have found a Jeep and a couple of GMCs, marketed as either ATLAS or IXO although they are one and the same. The shopvan is a very nice IXO product but for some reason only seems to be available in that appalling circus livery. Which is a shame as the characteristic wire mesh windows are transfers so will need to be re-done somehow upon repaint. It will also get the hard cab from the cargo truck.

The gantry (No. 7 Set) in the back of the open cab CCKW is truly awful :shit: and will be reworked - one wonders how they could make such a nice job of the base truck yet simply not bother to replicate the gantry. These trucks were all about aesthetics - get something out of proportion and it throws the whole thing out - sorry I need to go and lie down now :rolleyes:

IXO ATLAS MVs.jpgIXO Shopvan.jpgAtlas No 7 Set.jpg

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Aw, if you insist...
Son has just bought one of those... supplied as "restored" in many boxes. Lesson learnt with the WC51 and a GMC illustrated parts list arrived last week (sent from Oz). I understand that the vehicle is lacking a winch (and much to my surprise there is no shear pin in the drive train between gearbox and winch mounting).

Osgood

Western Thunderer
There should indeed be a shear pin - it holds the PTO shaft U/J flange onto the winch worm shaft, so the lack of a winch might explain the shear pin's absence. Do you have the transfer box - winch PTO shaft? P58 of TM9-801.

You should be able to get a complete winch and shaft assy (with rope too) from CCKWS R US at Reading at very reasonable cost.

If all else fails I might well have a winch (no shaft) available. It was a good one but it will need strippng down and a sandblast and a rope as it was probably last used around the end of mainline steam….. and I would have to get to the front of the scrap truck to cut it off, which may be challenging :rolleyes:

None of which helps us with 1/43 versions :D

Western Thunderer
Pictures of the scrap truck please, Osbad ?. :thumbs:

Just watched The Monument Men, on the plane back from Mexico, lots of army vehicles in that.

Steve :cool: