Scale 3rd Rail & F24 concrete sleepers- Now with samples

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mike, the MLVs had gone before my period, although I do like them. You'll have to send them round the layout in a few years time! But I was thinking MK3 EMUs - 319, 455, and 456 types.

Cheers

Tom

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Hi,

The 1st sample is back from Shapeways:) . The print is the Strong White Flexible material because it has a rough surface that is similar to the strange surface that builds up on the sides of 3rd rail. But probably too much so, so I'll try some FUD when I next print some. I filed the top, sprayed some paint on the sides, and then used some metallic pigment for the top surface. Here are the results.
1 Scale 3rd rail.jpg2 scale 3rd rail end.jpg3 scale 3rd rail side.jpg4 Scale 3rd rail top.jpg
Cheers

Tom

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
That really looks the part. It's going to be bloody expensive for layout quantities, though, isn't it?

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
That really looks the part. It's going to be bloody expensive for layout quantities, though, isn't it?
Not it's not too bad actually. It'd be a couple of thousand pounds if I had a die made for extruding metal. Whereas this stuff cost about £15 for 3.5m worth. So depending on how big you layout is...
... but still far more affordable that having a die created.

Cheers

Tom

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
Peco code 143FB would be usable for the chunky old SR third rail at £12.25/5.5m from C&L if you want it conducting.

Correct width albeit a bit tall, but if you make your shoes from sections of needle file it shouldn't take too long to grind it down to a suitable height, might get some decent sparks too! ;)

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Peco code 143FB would be usable for the chunky old SR third rail at £12.25/5.5m from C&L if you want it conducting.

Correct width albeit a bit tall, but if you make your shoes from sections of needle file it shouldn't take too long to grind it down to a suitable height, might get some decent sparks too! ;)
Hi Jon,

The code 143 is a different profile. You can see the difference it is as that's what's on that track above. I think the squeal of a file along the rail would be too much to put up with for a weekend. Anyway, now I've done the 3rd rail I just need a boxy bo bo loco to come along ;)

Cheers

Tom

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Looking good. Are you going to get the following cast as well? Run on / off ramps, the part on points that sort of follows the diverging rout (sorry I don't know it's proper name).

OzzyO.

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Thanks guys.

No need for junctions Ozzy as they're only in the fiddle yard on my layout plan:) . The angled ramps are a LUL thing but have been appearing at a few locations across the national network over the last decade of so. But for the majority it's simply a case of bending the rail downwards and using a low height pot to support it.

Cheers

Tom

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Hi,

As you know the 7mm market for modern(ish) modellers is a bit sparse when it comes to infrastructure items. But the 3D printing world is helping me address this. I attempted to draw these as my first piece of CAD work but CAD got the better of me so my friend Mike ended up drawing them.
Now, the results are back from Shapeways - F24 Concrete sleepers to S7.
F24 SLEEPER sml.jpg
They're printed in FUD and have turned out rather well. There is a little roughness to the surface but that'll do fine to represent the concrete texture. They're now burried in silicone so that I can make lots of resin versions for the layout. They'll be on display at Scaelforum if you fancy having a look.

Cheers

Tom

Locomodels

Western Thunderer
Tom,

They do look really good. But if you are casting in resin did you have to allow anything for shrinkage? To make them stay in gauge.

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Time will tell Paul. I have to say I've never had problems with resin shrinkage myself. I don't know if it's type specific or applicable to all resins. These sleepers are going on a small diorama board so I'll see how they fair.

Cheers

Tom

red_death

Tom has a dastardly plan for the Pandrol clips! I thought about trying to draw them as part of the holder but without cheating and filling parts in they would not be printable (and even if they were printable they would ping off like nobody's business).

Cheers, Mike

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Those sleepers look the business Tom, but have you had any thoughts on representing the Pandrol clips?

Regards

Dan

:) Plan is to have them made from 0.4mm wire in a paperclip type factory. Exploring options at the moment. Each one would be fitted like the prototype. They're only cosmetic so there's no need for them to have any holding force. There are little holes in the holders on the sleeper to locate them. This also gives the option of painting them different colours before laying, so far I've seen red, blue, purple and green versions. It explains on the Pandrol website what the different colours represent.

Cheers

Tom

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Now with a bit of paint.
S7 Sleeper sml.jpg
You can see the 3D layering on the sleeper sides, but remember this pic is about 5 times the size of the model so it's slight to the human eye. And most importantly it will be hidden by the ballast leaving only the the smooth top on the layout. There's a few tweaks to make, print again, cast, paint and then on with some track laying:) .

Cheers

Tom