Scale Hardware is back..

markjj

Western Thunderer
I don't remember ever paying that much but I stand corrected it normally comes in a large envelope with a stamp on it lol I know that much

JimG

Western Thunderer
Mark,

I think the International post for the US has got quite steep. Here's an excerpt from Bob's invoice last April

Products
------------------------------------------------------
2 x 0.4 mm Head Diameter Rivet Brass Qty. 100 (RVT-04-B) = $20.00
1 x 0.5 mm Head Diameter Rivet Brass Qty. 100 (RVT-05-B) = $10.00
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $30.00
International Shipping (First Class Mail): $14.00
Total: $44.00

I also had a slightly larger package from Smoky Mountain last autumn and the international postage was $23.50 and a recent CD sized package from Andy Reichart at Proto:87 Stores in the US had a post and packing charge of $16. It looks as though $16 and upwards might be the current scale of postage from the States.

Jim.

markjj

Western Thunderer
It certainly has Jim at this rate it would be cheaper to fly over and pick them up :).
I don't buy my rivets from the US anymore I get mine from Poland now although they are somewhat shorter than the ones from Scale hardware but they fit perfectly where I need them and far cheaper.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I always found the shank on the scale hardware too small aswell.. Had to double the price of the rivets themselves for drill bits!

JB B

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
It certainly has Jim at this rate it would be cheaper to fly over and pick them up :).
I don't buy my rivets from the US anymore I get mine from Poland now although they are somewhat shorter than the ones from Scale hardware but they fit perfectly where I need them and far cheaper.
What is the website of this address?

Len

simond

Western Thunderer
JB,

I suspect Len means the Polish supplier, and even if he doesn't, I'd be grateful...

Mark, can you please?

Best
Simon

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
I've ordered 0.8mm simulated Hex head bolts and 250 0.7mm rivets. I received an e-mail from Marvin to inform me that they are currently out of rivets, but had sent the Hex head bolts AND refunded me $11 on postage.

"Hi Ian,

That refund was due to a reduction in my shipping costs! You still have the Rivets coming…

Regards,

Marvin"

markjj

Western Thunderer
Well my bolts and nuts finally arrived today after getting a card from royal mail telling me I have a £15.50 charge to pay on top of the $37 I paid for the 4 packets of brass dust lol...

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Seems like their would be an opening for a UK source of scale hardware. Duty, VAT & Royal Mail import charges make placing low value orders from The US very expensive, once we are out of common market, we could be faced with a similar situation from EU suppliers.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Well my bolts and nuts finally arrived today after getting a card from royal mail telling me I have a £15.50 charge to pay on top of the $37 I paid for the 4 packets of brass dust lol...
Thats terrible, how can the government justify charging 100% duty/VAT etc on a small envelope which could be delivered as standard mail? It is not as though they are protecting a British manufacturer of the same products. It reminds me how lucky we are in Australia that the government decided not to collect GST on parcels with a value below $1000 because they worked out it would cost more to do so than the revenue would bring in. There are murmurs every so often about lowering the threshold, and also raising the GST above 10%, but it hasn't happened yet. The postal service is mostly very reliable here - the only package I haven't received was a $100 order from Scale Hardware which never appeared, probably because the envelopes they used to send the orders in were so much smaller than a standard DL envelope size. I am still hoping 5 years later it will be found down the back of a mail sorting machine, but probably not.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Of the £15.50 charge £8.00 is the Post Office handling fee just to tell you there is VAT to pay!! This is charge I object to.

If I want these small parts I'll either use Prime Miniatures as in post 33 above or the MasterClub parts from Historex Agents in Dover. Historex Agents

Stevesopwith

Western Thunderer
Having ordered simulated nuts to the total of $115, (inc $25 shipping), I've just had to pay £24.06 Customs and Handling charges. :eek: