Steam on the Sirhowy Tramroad

Chris Veitch

Western Thunderer
I’ve just bought myself the excellent Steam on the Sirhowy Tramroad from the R&CHS as an early Christmas present. I’ve saving most of it for the holiday period but it’s a beautifully presented and meticulously researched book (as you’d expect from the author) which details a fascinating selection of locomotives, mostly from railway pre-history and including plateway and some narrow gauge. Definitely recommended for students of obscure, ancient and “interesting” railway history, mostly in the early to middle part of the 19th century.

While it could be argued that it's standard gauge (which most of the routes ultimately became) the plateways are mostly 4'4" or 3'6" and there are many examples of narrower gauge feeder railways with locomotives from various mostly obscure builders such as Neath Abbey Ironworks. True to its title, about half the book covers the locomotives and their history with another two sections - one devoted to the history of the line and accompanying coal and iron businesses, and the other covering the often horrifically dangerous working practices. Heartily recommended.

Chris Veitch

Western Thunderer
Thanks for posting - it does look a fascinating book. I was looking at the details and they had "related books" from the page which suggested

Railways, Ports and Resorts of Morecambe Bay including the Ulverston Canal

which is local to me so I bought that one instead!:thumbs:
Hmmm. Always had a bit of thing for the Furness, and the archive photos down the page are lot more inspiring than the rather innocuous 70s Scotsman cover image. Might think about that one as well...

(And I'm always a sucker for a canal history - got their Shroppie book as well).