Website Swindon, 1953, 1954

AJC

Western Thunderer
I've just stumbled across this gallery on Flickr, described as a 'fantastic set of photographic images scanned from a set of extremely rare Ordnance Survey "Revison Point" books in our collection. Mostly from 1953 and 1954, these previously unseen and unpublished photographs have been of great interest to local historians and the subject of a fascinating talk by Andy Binks (Chair, The Swindon Society).'

Local Studies
Swindon Central Library
Regent Circus
Swindon
SN1 1QG

localstudies@swindon.gov.uk
www.swindon.gov.uk/localstudies
(01793) 463238

There's something for everyone here: details of obscure corners of The Works, garages, suburban streets, fields, front doors, back doors, prams, bins and the minutiae of everyday life. A fount of modellable details, the magic of the mundane.

Some examples:

Adam

daifly

Western Thunderer
What a superb, but utterly bonkers set of pictures! Lots of references to “Pipe Nails”, but what exactly is a Pipe Nail?
Hi Dan
I had to look it up earlier for me too!
Spent a couple of hours going through the photos. It's very much Swindon as I remember it from my childhood there.
Thanks Adam!
Dave

Brian McKenzie

Western Thunderer
Ordnance Survey "Revison Point" books . . . .
Thanks Adam,

I delighted in this, as it's a reminder of some past work, taking similar photos of GPS recorded locations, so that I could accurately superimpose plans on to photos to show the effect of proposed industrial developments on surrounding areas.
We even used cranes and lift platforms to suspend 'arrows' plotted in the air space to indicate where corners would be at height.

Reactions: AJC

paulc

Western Thunderer
Those photo's would have made a good skit for Monty Python . What excellent reference material though for anyone modelling that period .

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
20160326213013_04.jpgHaving been born in Swindon (Old Town) this is very interesting. Admittedly I only spent 6 months of my life there before we moved North. My parents spent most of the 1940s and some of the 1930s in Swindon, living and working in Rodbourne Road. This view towards the works would have been taken in the summer of 1964 or 1965 I think, when we visited on our way to Swanage for our holidays. I know it wasn't later as I was not yet old enough to drive.
Hoping it is of some interest, it's a colour slide, it needs careful cleaning and re-scanning really.

Last edited:

Tim Birch

Western Thunderer
Some of the set taken around Wigan show the pointer holder 'accompanied' by one of more small urchins. I bet there were some interesting conversations!

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Those OS pictures are a treasure and record detail from a long gone distant past. They regularly appear on various Oldham and Manchester forums of which I am a member. Note the pointing of bricks on that corner and a new section of drainpipe.. Obviously been hit, probably by a council dust bin wagon.

simond

Western Thunderer
Ironic that something that the OS viewed as sufficiently permanent to be useful as a specific point should end up being damaged & repaired. Perhaps the crucial corner of the vital brick remained un-damaged & un-displaced.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Not too long after the war - do you think that lower drainpipe section might be exhibiting signs of faded white paint, having been painted as a blackout marker, Larry?

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Not too long after the war - do you think that lower drainpipe section might be exhibiting signs of faded white paint, having been painted as a blackout marker, Larry?
I never saw drainpipes on street corners painted white, besides, this was a minor ginnel. But you never know.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
@Lyndhurstman's goods wagon search brings up some useful images for early 1950s wagon weathering and condition. And looking at one of the photos there appears to be an example of a signwriter misspelling the name on the side of a wagon.

ELCESAR i-dPtHC3z-XL copy.jpg

To my eye the lettering on the wagon is 'ELCESAR'. Presumably it was meant to be ELSECAR. How was this accepted into traffic? Based on the condition, it obviously stayed this way for years. I doubt it was an intentional marketing ploy but who knows.