7mm Syphon G Diag O.22

Ian G

Western Thunderer
The story so far, smaller battery boxes glued to floor, looking through all the pictures I have in many books they are not in all the same position, as the O 22 did not have round but oval buffers, I have sorced from my spare box an oval type from a crocodille kit, square shank white metal stock.

Ian G

O 22 19.jpg

O 22 20.jpg

pictures resized to 1024 x 768

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I managed to find a suitable length of brass fret to fabricate the brake leave and guides.
Just a spot of pipework handles and steps to be fitted.
Ian G

O 22 21.jpg

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I spent a few hours on the south Devon railway yesterday and found a syphon with a complete battery box. Loads of photos of that and a few other item's of stock

Ian G

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
Do you give them notice before going to take pics? Ive just found out theres a railway just down the road from me that has examples of wagons I'm building and I'd like to go along and get some detail pics when I can snatch a day off, but I'm not sure what the form is ... I guess I cant just turn up and start crawling all over the stock :oops:

Railwaymaniac

Western Thunderer
Do you give them notice before going to take pics? Ive just found out theres a railway just down the road from me that has examples of wagons I'm building and I'd like to go along and get some detail pics when I can snatch a day off, but I'm not sure what the form is ... I guess I cant just turn up and start crawling all over the stock :oops:
These days? - I strongly suspect you're right.

I wanted to go visit the Chinnor railway to take pix of their '08' a while ago. They were fine, but only because I had phoned up first and cleared it with them.
And even so, on a non-running day with nothing moving at all, the still made me wear a Hi-Viz and gave me someone to trail me and make sure that I didn't injure myself or the stock.

'Elf 'n Safety, eh? - Sometimes you can almost see where they are coming from . . . :eek:

Ian

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
Thats funny, Chinnor is where I'm going :D I had no idea there was a railway there, I used to do alot of mtb riding around the ridgeway but never noticed it.

I'll get in touch with them before I go, I hope to have a poke around their 08, Shark, Dogfish and a few others.

Western Thunderer
Thats funny, Chinnor is where I'm going :D I had no idea there was a railway there, I used to do alot of mtb riding around the ridgeway but never noticed it.

I'll get in touch with them before I go, I hope to have a poke around their 08, Shark, Dogfish and a few others.

Dont forget to post plenty of pics :thumbs:

Steve :cool:

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
Of course! It will be a couple of weeks so I'll post a list of stock beforehand so if anyone wants pics of anything particular I'll do my best.

Ian, apologies for the brief hijack :)

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
I was hoping to have a crawl around under it to check out the plough mechanism, and inside the van although I'm not sure how much is left of the Chinnor one - it looks pretty delapidated.

edit: TBH I could use a few hours sniffing around rolling stock for inspiration. Its not the modelling I'm putting off at the moment, its the day or 2 of tidying, recycling, cleaning and rearranging my study/workbench that I need to do before I can even start again. I hate all that domestic stuff :rolleyes:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I picked up the Kirk syphon G a few years ago along with some wayho 'American' bogies and a set of CPL corridor connections.
Information in the GW Syphon book shows 6 of these to have 9'' american bogies instead of the normal 7'' bogies, as with most of Kirk kits the plastic detail is basic, so other items picked up in recent years will be attached in due course, maily brass including the angle truss.

View attachment 20314

The syphon has been sat in my workshop for a few years in this state, the photo does not show up the dusty dirty roof.

View attachment 20315

I started constructing the corridor connections the other day, the instructions are not up to much as I found out when one set of fold lines need to be folded on the out side not the inside.
It recomends pins for the build as I could only find 20mm brass lace pins I have used 0.5 mm nickle silver rod with washers soldered at each end. areas that needed to move were chemically blackened before i got the soldering iron out, and fag paper was used between the washers and the moving parts.

Ian G
Both ends of the siphon will the covers on.

Ian a question on the CPL gangways if I may? I started mine last night and the only way that I could get the curved part C in the instructions to fit was by cutting it in half and taking approx 3mm from the middle and fitting them in two halves. I also tried folding up the strip that has all the rivets along the edge and that would need the same to get it to fit in the etched groove. I wonder what I have done wrong?

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I did the same if you look on the pic of the gangways laid out you will see a join at the top.

Ian G

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I did the same if you look on the pic of the gangways laid out you will see a join at the top.

Ian G

Thanks Ian, I am glad to see that I wasn't losing it after fitting all those bump stops....
I enlarged the shot after posting my question and thought that it looked like you had done the same.

What a shame, it's not difficult to correct once you work out what's wrong but it will be worth mentioning to Pat when I next order some bits.

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I intend on finishing my Syphon before i move and at least get a coat of primer on it, less than 4 weeks till I move to Chinnor, approx 50m from the preserved line.

Ian G

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian, just reading your post on your siphon but would like to find some information, my friend and I have two to do but we like you would like to change the underframes as well. Can you tell us the measurements (from the centre line) of the angle irons, battery boxes and dynamo?
Thanks for your help.

Len