Templot - how to display radius of diverging closure rail?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Whilst my interest is GWR PW of the Edwardian period (circa 1900-1910) I think that my question might be of a more generic nature. I am building loose-heel turnouts, typically 1:7 crossing and 12' switches, in 7mm scale and using Templot templates that have been drawn for me (thank you Chris @ChrisBr and Peter @Spike ) because my computer abilities just fail to connect with the Templot computer program.

So I get given a template of a turnout with both leads of similar flexure. I shall presume that as Templot has "drawn" the curve of the rails then Templot probably has knowledge of the radius of the closures rails... and might be persuaded to display such data on the laptop screen.

Referring to the GWSG Switch and Crossing Practice publication, appendix 3, table 4, page 142, there is a table of prototype data with a column headed "Turnout Radius" (lettered "R" in the drawing at the top of page 142). What I wish to know is how to ask Templot to display Templot's value for a 7mm equivalent of "R" as used in curved turnout templates that are prepared by Chris and Peter.

thank you, Graham

martin_wynne

Western Thunderer
What I wish to know is how to ask Templot to display Templot's value for a 7mm equivalent of "R" as used in curved turnout templates that are prepared by Chris and Peter.
@Dog Star

Hi Graham,

expand the info panel, to get all the template info. Click the edit button to see it in editable form from which you can copy the details:

expand_info.png

N.B. to get an exact replica of a prototype straight turnout, you need to:

1. use an exact scale track gauge (P4, S7, etc.).

2. select the right type and size of switch, e.g. GWR old-type 10ft curved.

3. select a generic pattern V-crossing.

4. click to convert RAM to CLM V-crossing angles.

Why not ask this stuff on the Templot Club forum? :) Front page

cheers,

Martin.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Dave,

I am exhausted after spending 30 minutes on the top page whilst trying to work out if there is a discussion forum for a question about how to ask Templot for information relating to a template....

Martin's answer above may well be enough although I shall have to try to understand:-

* what pattern Vee is appropriate for GWR circa 1900-10 / 1:7 crossing / 12' loose heel switches?

* why do I need to change crossing angles from RAM to CLM?

regards, Graham

martin_wynne

Western Thunderer
Dave,

I am exhausted after spending 30 minutes on the top page whilst trying to work out if there is a discussion forum for a question about how to ask Templot for information relating to a template....

Martin's answer above may well be enough although I shall have to try to understand:-

* what pattern Vee is appropriate for GWR circa 1900-10 / 1:7 crossing / 12' loose heel switches?

* why do I need to change crossing angles from RAM to CLM?

regards, Graham
@Dog Star

Hi Graham,

It took me all of 5 seconds to hover my mouse over the forum sections and see this:

baffled_beginners.png

And about 15 seconds to search for "generic" and find a detailed discussion of the choice of crossing type:

Generic or Regular V crossing

and an explanation of the difference:

real track

Templot uses RAM crossing angles by default for practical model-making reasons. Most prototype railways use CLM angles. The difference is very small, but it affects the lead lengths of turnouts slightly. For more information see this topic on customizing templates from prototype drawings:

Customizing from prototype pointwork drawings

See also this video on the difference between regular and curviform V-crossings:

FlashBack Connect

cheers,

Martin.