7mm The Shelf Queens Workbench

28ten

Guv'nor
Having been SHelf Queen Top trumped by Dikitriki, I have started work.....
Firstly the N11 Horsebox, the springs have been fixed in on both sides and the missing buffer has been added. Somehow I lost the compensation mechanism but a replacement has been ordered and once that is fitted, should be plain sailing....
IMG_4939.JPG

Whilst waiting for the parts to arrive I spent some time familiarising myself with progress on the Catfish.

IMG_4942.JPG

Both are to the same stage so I decided to continue with the hoppers before I go back to the brake gear. The hoppers are a very tight fit in the frames, so I spent a little time easing the tight spots. once happy the first set of angle iron was bent up using my small bending barsIMG_4944.JPG

the other side and fitting will have to wait until tomorrow

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Cynric,

the bending bars look neat and more useful than the Hold & Fold version - not seen them before, who are the stockists for these? Might as well ask the question that others will be asking, as I will not be in the queue to buy/use them.

cheers

Mike

28ten

Guv'nor
The bending bars are from Ausfwerks, but are no longer available. They are easily the best bars I have used, folding the small angle in the shot is spot on and with no little kinks, bends etc. I have a 14 inch hold and fold but this is one I reach for.

28ten

Guv'nor
Cynric,

What was/is the price they are trying to keep to for a possible fifth production run.?

Jim.
It is a while since I bought mine (2007) but I seem to recall about the £50. Not cheap for a 6 1/2 inch bending bar but the ease with which it bends tricky small parts makes it worth it.

28ten

Guv'nor
A trip to Heyside today showed some Western problems so that is back on the shelf......
  • It wont go round 6ft curves with the full brake gear - My fault I forgot to get the angle grinder to it
  • The sound is weedy - probably speakers and I have swapped to a spare with a bit more oomph
  • Driving isnt very responsive - hit go and wait 10 seconds for action and it doesnt really have any thrash, so it will be off on Monday
These arrived while i was out so I have all bases covered :))
IMG_4946.JPG
On with the Catfish and Horsebox i think:)

28ten

Guv'nor
Its not going to win any prizes but its not far off completion, the chassis is finished, it just needs steps, lamp irons, vac pipes and grab handles. I will probably finish it with small GW, as it is not really suitable for post war without some modification to the paneling, Scattergun on - a Bulldog would be nice to pull them..... IMG_4961.JPG

28ten

Guv'nor
The underframe is a bit rough, the brake linkages are representative rather than accurate. None of these are things you would notice at normal viewing distances, but comparisons with the MMP catfish are inevitable when I'm doing both at the same time.
Having said that a finished model always beats a shelf queen!!

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
And with a Cordon...so I do actually have a 4 vehicle train, maybe it needs an M&SWJR 2-4-0 ?
Fab - you can make one for me while you're at it...

Very much liking the horsebox too. Blacksmith kit? I could be tempted, and I've got the Bulldog sitting in the 'to build' pile. ;)

Steph

28ten

Guv'nor
Apart from a couple of small steps and making the interior thats it. Although I notice from the photograph the grooms steps need tweaking.
You will notice that the chassis has been primed already, I do this to stop the wheels rusting as they are trapped by the brake gear.
BTW Steph it is a WEP kit, but most of the castings are CPL and Slaters
CRW_4978.jpg
I must admit I do feel quite virtuous at getting an old project completed :) I will get on with the Catfish and finish off one of the other horseboxes next so I can paint a couple together

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
How did I miss that Clerestory when looking earlier in the week - I must have been distracted by the horse boxes. Very Nice:thumbs: