4mm Unnamed freight only shunting layout

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

Firstly, you can be forgiven for rolling your eyes because I've not got a great track record when it comes to layout building. My other two threads have shambled along with plenty of peripheral modelling, but little in the way of actual progress (little = none).

Three things happened recently. Firstly I posted on my Talerddig thread and was amazed by the fact people actually cared. Secondly, TMC had a boxing day sale and Hornby Ruston's at a very good price and finally Rob (NHY81) suggested I do something "quick and simple".

In order to try and capitalise on this, I've planned a very small, very simple layout. I figure that if I can make some progress with this, it may encourage me to work on the other two layouts at some point too.

Dimensions are dictated by offcuts of wood I have, nothing clever here, and equally the track is some bits I already have.

This is the trackplan:

IMG_20201228_180233.jpg

The top right siding will have some kind of warehouse/goods shed as a background and I also want to make a representation of a local building (my pic):

IMG_20201228_180332.jpg

My initial thoughts were to make a dockyard type scene, but I ruled this out because of the additional work required to make inset track - just the sort of thing that will derail any motivation I have.

Track will enter the scene top left, and possibly between two buildings - think Caeharris (I have a photo but not sure if I can post it as it turned up in a Google search). Again, subject to change.

Finally, I'm not going to overthink or worry too much about accuracy or I'll just stall again. Today has been spent building the baseboard frame (1000 x 300mm) in the kitchen, much to my wife and daughter's bemusement.

Anyway, enough rambling - I can only cross my fingers that I'll actually follow through with this layout this time...

Matt

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
Nice 1 Matt, I’m in a similar vein following Robs lead on my current board. Although I’ve gone correctly spaced sleepers! That’s slowing me up! But seriously considering @NHY 581 Robs pokey finger point operation and just fishplates and no droppers! Good luck keep going just a bit a day helps as I’ve found out the last 4 days.
Cheers
Ade

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Great idea Matt, SheepBloke has a lot to answer for! This is my Christmas break project, again built as a quicky to get me motivated again for working on Pencarrow.

IMG_20201229_120407_1.jpg

I also used ply I already had kicking around the garage, stock from a previous exhibition layout and various other materials / part complete projects stashed away.

I bought the balance of the track, some RTP buildings (plus some donated by a friend) and the remainder of the bits and bobs were 'given' to me at Christmas.

Refreshing to get something done quickly and make use of RTR and RTP stuff.

matto21

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the comments!

I've been following your quick project Chris, mine isn't going to be as impressive though!

To the bemusement of my wife and two year old daughter, I built the basic framework for the baseboard in the kitchen yesterday. Not finished yet because the aforementioned family selfishly wanted tea.

The trackbed itself will be slightly raised to avoid the "flat board" look that my other two layouts will have (if they ever get finished!).

Buildings and stock just plonked for visual purposes:

IMG_20201228_212112.jpg

IMG_20201228_212143.jpg

IMG_20201228_212158.jpg

IMG_20201228_212625.jpg

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
More kitchen table modelling tonight. I've used the time to make some simple card mock ups of some structure ideas, to see how they would fit into the available space. This isn't something I've tended to do in the past.

Firstly, a "panoramic" view:

IMG_20201229_225830.jpg

The building at the left, intended to be a view blocker, will be embedded into the scenery, as the ground will slope down towards the baseboard edge. Therefore the rear wall could ultimately be taller. I can't really expand on this idea more until the ply track bed is cut to size.

IMG_20201229_225744.jpg

The building to the right will be some kind of warehouse/goods shed and is actually based on the one that appears on Barrowfleet, just shorter. The tin building would be roughly in the centre of the layout.

IMG_20201229_225758.jpg

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
I've made a bit of progress since my last post. Firstly, the left hand side building wasn't going to work as intended. It just looked awkward. I've replaced this with a house and road and I think it'll work better visually.

I've also made a start on the backscene, sides still to be added. I don't think I'll bother with an off-scene fiddle yard, I'll just keep it self contained for simplicity.

All buildings are just for context, unlikely any of these will be used. For example the house needs to be slightly higher I think and I also think it's a bit crowded.

IMG_20201231_184142.jpg

IMG_20201231_184048.jpg

IMG_20201231_184435.jpg

IMG_20201231_184103.jpg

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
This kitchen table project has made rapid progress up to now. Now have a simple paper backscene to hide the corners and a foamboard track base so I can bury any structures.

IMG_20210102_163217.jpg

The next stage is the challenge for me, and the stage at which other projects stall - tracklaying.

Progress will undoubtedly slow after tomorrow as I'll be back in work.

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Progress has slowed right down since returning to work - I only had 9 days off but Xmas feels like a lifetime ago already!

I've settled on what I want the overall layout to look like.

IMG_20210116_222526.jpg

I've also made some progress with the left hand building. The shell has been constructed and clad in embossed plastic sheet. I forgot to remove sections to allow me to insert embossed lintels so I'll probably have to resort to using the laser cut card ones that came with the kit.

IMG_20210120_200815.jpg

The roof is only a mock up here, hence being a bit too small. I'm also undecided with the chimney stack. I think two would be overkill but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Slow but steady progress with one of the structures.

Combination of various bits and bobs including embossed plastic and Modelu guttering and drainpipe fittings - putting these together is one of the fiddliest tasks I've done recently but worth it.

IMG_20210131_195223.jpg

IMG_20210131_195248.jpg

I obviously need to do the roof and window sills before anything else.

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Very nice building Matt.

Are those white metal chimney pots?

Rob

Oops, sorry Rob, yes they are - from Lanarkshire Models.

I've been a member here since 2017. In that time I've shared ideas for layouts, I've built buildings, detailed locos and weathered wagons but never actually done anything that could be classed as layout building.

Well now I have.

This weekend I've not only cut the flexi track to length, I've also soldered dropper wires and drilled holes for primitive point control. I've even put it together to see if it works (it does!).

It's nothing clever or impressive - it's two wires to the controller and basic wire in the tube point control. But that's all I need.

Screenshot_20210403_203542.jpg

Screenshot_20210403_203527.jpg

I really don't like the Code 75 points, especially when used with bullhead track but I a) lack the space to use bullhead points and b) lack the ability to build my own so they serve a purpose.

I have tweaked a couple of visual weak spots though. Firstly I've removed the sticky out bits for hand control. I've also trimmed the sleepers either side of this which are moulded over-wide and finally filled the holes into which point motors would clip. Small things but worth the effort in my opinion.

Screenshot_20210403_203514.jpg

I might even get it all stuck down this weekend at this rate!

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the comments all!

Adam and Martin: thanks for the show of faith, but soldering two dropper wires to the underside of the rails stretched me to the edge of my abilities so believe me when I say that building track is beyond me!

Matt

garethashenden

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the comments all!

Adam and Martin: thanks for the show of faith, but soldering two dropper wires to the underside of the rails stretched me to the edge of my abilities so believe me when I say that building track is beyond me!

Matt
I'm pretty good at soldering, but soldiering dropper wires to the underside of plastic sleepered rail is a challenge. There's not much space, you need to get it hot enough to melt the solder but not keep it hot for long enough to melt the sleepers. Its not a good representation of soldering generally, which is a shame as its often the first thing modellers get exposed to.