Weathering examples 12"/ft

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Good thread Tony,
Who dares weather their diesel like that ! :D
Getting good reference material is essential to detailing and finishing a model. It's not something to be guessed at, we can only copy the prototype.

One subject that crops up often is weathered timber.

Weathered Boards.JPG

These are old scaffold boards of mine, that are easily 30 yrs old, have weathered naturally outside, this is European Whitewood a species of pine.
They could just as easily be the floor of a wooden wagon.
The basic colour is almost a silver dirty white and greys.

Col.

steve50

Western Thunderer
I love that timber, any tips on how to replicate that? I cant see very much 'wooden' colours there at all.

Tappa

Western Thunderer
I think the master of weathered wood is Emmanuel Nouaillier. Check out his blog at ATMOSPHERES par EMMANUEL NOUAILLIER
His pictures are NOT prototypes. :)

Michael
I've followed his work for the past few years and it is outstanding. He has had a number of articles published over the years (Continental Modeller and the now gone Military Modeller mags spring to mind). There was a list somewhere on the 'net of his published articles. I just wish his book would get printed in English.

Jeff

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Is this a bit extreme ?

Interesting. And thanks for posting. A lot of brown in there; which makes an intriguing contrast with @eastsidepilots scaffold planks.

One of the traffic ‘flows’ (more like a dribble, truth be told..) to Watkins Wharf is the delivery of COND Private Owner wagons, no longer required by late-50s BR. So I’m always on the lookout for wagons that have ‘achieved’ terminal status, but are still able to be moved.. and trying to represent the wear and tear rendered to the tired carcasses of these wagons (in 4mm) is something I’m still working on. I’d say your example might be TFG (Too Far Gone), and would have to make its way to Limehouse piggy-backed on a suitable Weltrol or similar.

Cheers

Jan