Video WW2 Diorama - Excellent weathered concrete and rusty metal.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
It’s generally accepted, that the military modelling fraternity could teach us a thing or two when it comes to scenic and weathering techniques and in my opinion, that’s certainly true in the attached YouTube video I stumbled across.

I think this guy has absolutely nailed weathered concrete and as an added bonus, his representation of flaking, rusty metal and general landscaping, is pretty convincing too. So, make yourself a cuppa, grab a handful of your favourite biscuits and put your feet up for the next 32 minutes, or so….

Regards

Dan

jonte

Western Thunderer
It’s generally accepted, that the military modelling fraternity could teach us a thing or two when it comes to scenic and weathering techniques and in my opinion, that’s certainly true in the attached YouTube video I stumbled across.

I think this guy has absolutely nailed weathered concrete and as an added bonus, his representation of flaking, rusty metal and general landscaping, is pretty convincing too. So, make yourself a cuppa, grab a handful of your favourite biscuits and put your feet up for the next 32 minutes, or so….

Regards

Dan

I enjoyed watching it too. Thanks for sharing.

The wire cutter shown in the vid is an excellent piece of kit, although I found a far more basic one on line which was essentially a laser cut kit for not much more than a fiver. I bought one as a gift for my brother in law who I encouraged to ‘get into’ modelling as a pastime in his retirement. He states it glides through the foam with ease (he struggled using a craft knife).

I’ve not tried Vallejo chipping medium; currently I own the AK version. However, this is my next purchase and comes with rave reviews which I believe produces finer results:

IMG_2156.jpeg

The only caveat I would stress to the modeller considering applying these techniques to railway modelling, is the question of scale, as many military modellers are creating pieces in way larger scales than we. In fact, I went onto YouTube to read the accompanying narrative for just this purpose and discovered that the creator is working in 1/35th scale and above. Consequently, if you’re working in the finer scales especially, I’d suggesting exercising caution with some of the techniques involved. For instance, I’ve used Maskol type products to represent peeling paint in the past in OO gauge. It’s a great effect but way, way overscale, and would be difficult to get away with even in seven mil. Again, I’ve applied ‘lumpy’ rust in four mil, but still it’s plain wrong, and the suggestion of this type of weathering with paint is more in keeping.

That said, it’s up to the individual to enjoy the fruits of their labours; it’s just that the military modellers are judged on this type of thing competitively.

Just my tuppence ha’penny’s worth.

jonte

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
The VMS varnishes are also excellent product and are my go to now, especially when using decals. Gloss before they go and matt after.

J

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I started with a basic U shaped cheese cutter hot wire cutter (Mickoos American Empire thread), it's good but near uncontrollable for straight edges etc (scenery, buildings and so on) having seen this one in the video it was mere moments before the buy me button was clicked.

Also, being a bit of a tool snob, it had to be Proxxon, I've a fair few of their tools and they are virtually bomb proof.

Yet to be used in anger; that's this weekends fun time once all the other materials I've ordered arrive.

a1b35569-7728-421f-a02b-e38e1a306714.jpg