Yorky D's Küchentisch - North Eastern - Boing! said the pantograph...

L.94
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    A slight diversion....

Not being one for things GW I acquired this Dapol O scale 57xx at the weekend, which fortunately is in the best livery they carried, to kick start a LT layout at some point.

The major item which jumps out is the incorrect font used for the numerals - it just appears too heavy. Otherwise a good model for 200 notes and saves hours of kit building. This is the non sound DCC ready version. There are some minor improvements required to make it into L.94 proper which will become evident.

The cab roof is correct and as are the electrification warning flashes. Needs a good dose of weathering.

001.jpg
    002.jpg
    This is the guts
    003.jpg
    Plenty of room to install a new speaker after removing the original speaker housing.
    009.jpg

Some detail.... Tripcock006.jpg

Inside motion 007.jpg

Cab roof held on by magnets 011.jpg

Now some necessary improvements to finish the model as L94... in addition to the post 1967 duty number brackets on the smokebox door and above and to the right of the rear left hand buffer.

Replacement of the GW pattern rear and front lamp irons to standard BR versions
    004.jpg
    005.jpg

L94 had a rivetted gutter strip at cab side and roof join. New numbers required as these are not the correct P22 Johnston LT font. They look too heavy.
    010.jpg

One thing to watch out for. The flywheel is too high on the motor shaft.
    008.jpg

L 94
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    Not Die Verwandlung (The Metamorphasis) by Franz Kafka......

.......but some improvements to Dapol's L.94 to transform it into L.94 proper...

Alteration to the cab roof line and new cabside numerals. The decals are from Radley Models and although they are outlined in black at least they are the correct font. The not quite straight (oops :oops:) rivets are from Archer Decals - what would we do without them? - and the new gutter is Evergreen styrene strip. Modified (left) and unmodified (right)
    012.jpg
    The front and rear GW lamp irons and the four fire iron brackets have been removed pending delivery of replacements from Laurie Griffin (LMS style lamp irons and GW fire iron brackets). I have also replaced the bunker number with the Radley Models decals and correcting the number spacing at the same time . I'm not bothered about the variation in patch painting and missing lining as it will disappear during the weathering process. Again new (left) and original (right).
    013.jpg

Now starting to look like L.94. This is the first wash on the body and there's still plenty to do....
    014.jpg

And here's a 4mm scale L.97 (Bachmann model) from many years ago. Again I altered the cab to the Met loading gauge.
    L.97.jpg

Weighbridge
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    This last week has been spent creating a diorama for the weighbridge office.

Bedding in and weathering the weighbridge.

The weighbridge plate was glued to a layer of card to increase it's height. This allowed the concrete ramps to be formed from DAS clay, as was the ashphalt. I used Vallejo sandy paste for the remaining areas.

The weighbridge was painted a dark grey/gunmetal mix. Several washes of oxide were then applied followed by a drybrushing with gunmetal. Which in turn was followed by a drybrushing of oily steel to polish the worn areas.

The concrete ramps were painted a yellow/cream conccrete colour whilst the comcrete apron was painted a buff/middlestone colour. This is to simulate the two colours of concrete seen in the photograph. Ashphalt was a grey colour with several white, brown and grey washes. The entire area was drybrushed with greys, and buff to highlight the loose gravel.

The guard rail was made from a scrap length of bullhead rail and not forgetting the weeds and grasses.

BW 22.jpg
    BW 23.jpg
    BW 24.jpg
    BW 25.jpg

More to do yet and the weighbridge plate still requires a few darker washes.

Weighbridge
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    Some of the final details now.

Roof slates, barge boards and soffets - as provided in the kit - and electric lighting conduit. The latter is my addition made up from 0.5mm brass wire.

BW 27.jpg
    BW 28.jpg
    BW 29.jpg

The roof slates were applied and a length of solder stuck to the apex to create a rounded top to the ridge tiles. First a coat of light grey was applied followed by a dark grey wash. Once dry this was followed by a light dry brushing of stone grey, followed by another dark grey wash and dry brushed again.BW 30.jpg

This only leaves the rainwater goods, again my addition, and the flower bed on the right end of the weighbridge to complete. And a suitable light shade for the exterior light on the left end of the weighbridge.

Weighbridge
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    Well, Biggles has finally made it......

.....(apart from the lampshade and signs - OFFICE for the door and the weighbridge notice for the wall between the door and window).

Now with rainwater goods, drains and a small garden. The gutters are made from 3mm copper tube spliced down the centre, downpipes from 2mm brass rod and the brackets are from Modelu.

BW 32.jpg
    BW 33.jpg
    BW 34.jpg
    BW 35.jpg
    BW 36.jpg
    BW 37.jpg

Weighbridge
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    Not quite lanterne rouge but the final item for the weighbridge.

I had been pondering on what to use for the exterior light and eventually knocked one up from.....

A short piece of 3mm clear acrylic rod which I sanded and polished one end to a dome with a manicurist polishing file. 3 washers and a 4mm Alan Gibson crankpin bearing. Painted gunmetal grey and a wash of oxide.

f11.jpg

Brougham
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    Something else to add to the general clutter of started but unfinished projects.

This time the Parliamentary Trains O scale Single horse Brougham which I picked up at Bristol earlier in the year. Although I have nowhere to use it on a 1968-70 layout....! I suppose a film set would be the answer...:)

The kit itself consists of several thickness of laser cut parts and five A4 pages of detailed (text and photographs) instructions . The dark red parts are 0.8mm thin MDF but the thinner 0.4 and 0.5 mm parts are of a card or a plastic/card mix. I cannot work out what the material is but when bent it holds it's shape. Included in the kit are square; 1, 2 and 3mm round brass tube for the axles and some emery paper - which is a nice touch. In my kit the card was a bit bent so I iron these between two sheets of paper to flatten them.
    Bro 01.jpg

Anyway a start was made yesterday and the progress thus far and the parts were superglued apart from the 1.0mm round tube which I soldered into the square tube:

The body is made up of three layers: Inner, outer and panelling.
    Bro 02.jpg
    Bro 03.jpg
    Bro 04.jpg

Brougham
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    The Brougham is nearing completion......

The remaining parts were completed, painted and a zap of Alclad gloss lacquer since carriages were well kept. Here are some photos and it still requires the hub caps, glazing, carriage lamps and of course a horse. In addition a liveried carriage driver would be nice but I haven't seen any suitable figures - they are either delivery cart or hansom cab drivers.

The roof is off here to illuminate the interior.
    Bro 05.jpg

Rear 3/4.Bro 06.jpg

Broadside.Bro 07.jpg

Bro10.jpg

Obligatory Peco helicopter shot to show the interior.Bro 08.jpg

And this one to put in a sense of scale. The Charles Dickens figure is 40mm high (about 5' 7'' tall) - one of my early attempts at figure painting.

Mmmmm.... not quite what I meant by horseless carriage - where's Gottlieb and Karl* when you need them!
    Bro 09.jpg

If I were to build another I would sand all the exterior panels to a smooth finish for a highly polished Brougham.... the benefit of hindsight :oops:. Ho hum.

*Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler and Karl Friedrich Benz