‘Hello’…and a question.

Hello and thanks for letting me join. It seems I’m a bit of an interloper, modelling in 4mm- Scalefour and narrow gauge (I hesitate to say 009 in this esteemed company), but am enjoying and learning already from browsing the various threads here. As a self-employed architectural model maker of 30 years I’m surprised as to how hesitant I am at actually getting down to build something!
So, I have a question: after many years of not making railway related items, I want to tackle a new loco kit. On my shelf (along, it has to be admitted,with far too many other things) is a Finney Dean Goods and a Mitchell 44xx, both in 4mm. I have more or less finished a Finney 2,500 gallon tender and am reasonably pleased with the result (I’m pretty confident with soldering skills) and logic would suggest the Dean Goods, but with Guy Williams’ articles in 4mm and now your very own Heather Kay’s in 7mm, I’m unsure and wondered if anyone here has thoughts or experience of building these two kits?
Thanks again for this fabulous forum!

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hello Robert (and welcome!),

You're not the only 4mm person here - though I work in EM rather than P4 - and I'd love to see the Finney tender - others will confirm that pictures are the currency on here: get on and build the loco! I haven't yet started the Finney kit in the stockpile (a Collett Goods), but dad did the LSWR L11 and found it really very straightforward. Obviously there are lots of variations for the Dean Goods, which did you have in mind?

Adam

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Hello Robert! Welcome to the friendliest model railway forum!

I have built a couple of Mitchell Prairie kits, but both at 7mm scale. One had a lot of scratch work to backdate to a proper original 3100 class, the other is currently nearing completion to the final form. That said, I did pretty much follow Mr Mitchell's instructions. I only deviated from them as they were generally written for the 4mm kit, and you can get away with some things at the smaller scale that stand out a mile in the larger.

I would say Mr Finney's kits should hold no fears for you. Take your time, follow the instructions, and have some good clear photos of the real thing for details and inspiration. Oh, and take lots of photos to share with us as you document your progress here. :thumbs: ;)

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Welcome Robert,

I agree with Adam's opinion, difficult to see why you feel that you are an interloper. Whilst WT might have been influenced by 7mm modellers in the very early days that scenario does not hold true today for most modelling scales / gauges are represented and with skill levels from basic to maestro. What is important to say about WT is that "it works without rancour, bias, back-biting"; jump in and enjoy the experience, encouragement and entertainment.

In the early days our founder, the late Cynric (see banner to the forum home page) had just one rule and that rule stands us in good stead today - "Play nicely". If there is anyother rule then a probable candidate is due to Jordan... "no wishlist".

If you do jump in, please use a water-proof camera as WT runs on photos.

regards, Graham

Last edited:
Hi Adam, many thanks for the welcome. Here’s a pic of the tender so far -still much to do/ clean up solder/ resolve what happens to the coal rails when they meet the sides…But thoroughly enjoyable and a great lesson. As you may tell from the tender, the plan is(was) to make up the loco in early form, with S4 parallel boiler and firebox, mainly so I could feature a polished dome!

Attachments

• DEE8B54C-2450-4E09-A41A-B21F7CF0AC99.jpeg
    DEE8B54C-2450-4E09-A41A-B21F7CF0AC99.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: AJC

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Welcome, Robert. Just to re-assure you, you are not alone in modelling in 009. This excellent forum will be happy to see examples of your work in this scale as well as your work in Scalefour.

Roger

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Hi Robert

Yes, 7mm does seem to predominate but actually many of us have stashes of OO and HO just occupying space until “never”.

As Heather has said, WT is friendly and grown up. No armchair critics like other forums and lots of help and guidance there for the asking.

Some of us also like to stray way off topic but it always seems to add to the learning curve, not just about modelling but life in general.

Paul