12":1ft Modelling..... Kettles In Blue

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
A title very much tongue in cheek, however this is the season of frivolity and the real reason for this topic will become apparent soon.

Some English Electric Type 3s (for that was their "moniker" at that time) were delivered with steam-heat capability and that capability required a volumous tank for the "raw" steam... a tank which was separate from a similar-sized tank for diesel fuel. Some Class 37s (for that is a contemporary collective noun) were delivered without steam-heat capability and most books about the technicalities of the Tractors (another collective noun for the engines) seem to agree that such "cold" machines did not possess the steam-heat boilers. One aspect of the refurbishment programme which produced the Class 37/4s was the installation of electric train heat capability and the provision of extra diesel fuel capacity. However, to this confirmed Kettle-fan-ician there are some questi0ns here which I think might need to be answered before Son gets too far with his JLTRT model of Loch Rannoch (37408).

[1] Type 3s which were delivered without steam-heat capability... what were the visible differences of those engines relative to the contemporary steam-heat fitted engines? eg. buffer beam pipework, water tank provision, water tank filler points, steam-heat boiler exhaust port.
[2] Type 3s which were delivered with steam-heat capability... what prevented boiler water being put into the fuel tank and vice versa? Where was the storage for the boiler fuel?

[3] Which of the Cl 37/4s were created from engines with steam-heat capability and which were from engines without that feature?
[4] For a Cl 37/4 which was converted from an engine with steam-heat capability, what visible changes to appearance before / after conversion were the result of removing the steam-heat capability and converting the water tank to a diesel fuel tank?
[5] If a Cl 37/4 was created by re-building an engine which was not steam-heat capable, what was used for the extra fuel capacity? (eg. a second "fuel"-type tank... a "water" type tank from the stores)
[6] After conversion, how many fuel filler ports were available on a Cl 37/4? (compared to the number before conversion).

Methinks that there are fewer questions in regard to the parentage of the GWR 517 class engines than building an accurate model of a Diseasel.

Any photographs which might help in understanding "what is what" will be appreciated.

Thanks for your thoughts on this topic, regards Graham

lnerjp

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham

I cannot answer all your questions, but some information that may be of help, your chosen engine was built as D6989 by Vulcan Foundary, it became 37289 before conversion to a 37/4. The fuel for steam heat boilers on a 24/25 comes from the main fuel tank and I cannot envisage a 37 being any different. Looking from the #1 end (the fan end) the first tank is the fuel the second is the water, I belive theses are just commend up with some pipe to give the long range fuel capacity. As for the buffer beams like Jordan says it's easyer to just model what you see, search google for plenty of pictures of your engine as there are quite a few detail differances.

J.P. Currently doing 37069

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham,

now that you have chosen your loco, as Jordan says, life is slightly easier. I suggest that for starters, you try and get hold of a copy of Modern Trains Illustrated Number 171 - The Class 37s - published June/July 2008 it has quite a number of decent photos (nine of your loco though) and also detailed photos whith various items named for recognition.

There is a photo of 37.408 on page 80 of Rail Portfolios - Class 37 which may help but it is a general 'train' shot rather than just of the loco. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Just did a search on Flickr and this lot came up - take your pick

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=37408

cheers

Mike