122 Dmu

Simon

Flying Squad
Inspired by John's fantastic Class 24 build, I have started to seriously consider attempting to build something like this in 1/32 scale:

Maybe.jpg

I'm putting it in "talk" because I'm unsure how far I might get, although the combination of its suitability for "last years of minor part of Withered Arm" combined with the fact that it would represent a complete "real train" is a pretty powerful incentive.

Either way, I have today blown up the drawings from Brian Golding's DMU book to 1/32 scale with a view to considering the options. The result is a very large piece of paper :shock:

I am now comparing the plan with photographs and thinking about how I might go about building it. I also have the 4mm Lima 121 to look at and Tim Shackleton's article on from MRJ on converting the earlier Lima (117?) model into a single unit. He makes some comment about a window being out of place on the plan, which I haven't investigated yet.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome - anyone else going to have a go?

Simon

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Now thats an interesting project :thumbs: I will be watching this one also with great interest :thumbs: :bowdown: .

I don't know about others but your 25 build has really got me thinking about a western build :scratch: . The trouble is and i'm sure i'm not alone on this, is if i were to start a build i am using time (which i seem to get less and less of) also IF i ever got it finished i would'nt have anywhere to use it :cry:

I would also be not getting on with my 7mm projects :rolleyes:

Also how would i get working bogies ? ? Can you buy the wheels ? how would you power them. ?. Or in my case, is it just better as this would be a one off, to make a static (non runner).

:scratch: Mmmmmmm just don't know whether to go ahead or not :scratch:

Rob :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor
Simon, I will do the art work for any etchings as it can easily be reduced for 7mm, BTW it should be a cracker in 1/32
my initial thought would be for etched sides and resin ends........

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

and ABC Gears (Brian Clapperton) do a traction motor for Gauge 1 with a choice of 3'7" or 3'9" wheels, so the power unit is there.

Best of luck with the project.

regards

Mike

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Interesting idea Simon , I hope you do decide to go for it ! :cool: :cool: :cool: . I will be dabbling in the world of scratch-building too , but I think I will start with some Ilfracombe influenced buildings first for my terminus :) , With regard to loco's & stock though, I would like to scratch-build/kit-bash 1200 Falcon at some stage in 7mm (something I have been considering for a while now)

Cheers Phill :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor
Whilst at the South Devon today I chatted to one of the chaps and we would be able to go down and crawl over theirs as long as we gave some notice. I got a few shots but its a bit difficult with a 3 year old clinging to your leg :laugh:

Attachments

• IMG_3268.jpg
    IMG_3268.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 141

Simon

Flying Squad
28ten said:
Whilst at the South Devon today I chatted to one of the chaps and we would be able to go down and crawl over theirs as long as we gave some notice. I got a few shots but its a bit difficult with a 3 year old clinging to your leg :laugh:

What a lovely shot, I was surfing last night and noticed that the South Devon have just outshopped their unit - just the job!

I'd definitely be up for doing a detailed survey and thank you very much for your offer of help on the etching side of things. I think I could also enlist the help of Captain Kernow, at least for a cup of tea - he doesn't live a million miles away from Buckfastleigh :D

On the other hand it is the immediacy of John's approach that is so appealing :scratch:

Either way, I can see that I might well get seduced into trying to cast an end in resin, given the amount of fiddling around I am bound to get involved in.

Perhaps we ought to combine forces to try to create a really good railcar "package" for the senior scales anyway :thumbs:

Simon

Flying Squad
Ressaldar said:
Hi Simon,

and ABC Gears (Brian Clapperton) do a traction motor for Gauge 1 with a choice of 3'7" or 3'9" wheels, so the power unit is there.

Best of luck with the project.

regards

Mike

Hi Mike

That is useful to know as I am not good at gears and motors etc and I would want it to move smoothly and quietly, thanks very much :thumbs:

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Phill Dyson said:
Interesting idea Simon , I hope you do decide to go for it ! :cool: :cool: :cool: . I will be dabbling in the world of scratch-building too , but I think I will start with some Ilfracombe influenced buildings first for my terminus :) , With regard to loco's & stock though, I would like to scratch-build/kit-bash 1200 Falcon at some stage in 7mm (something I have been considering for a while now)

I definitely remember "spotting" Falcon on the Paddington - Bristol expresses, a really good looking loco that would look terrific running into Withercombe.

Buildings are a really good idea, my excuse is that I haven't got my line built to where the buildings would be :lol: :lol:

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Simon said:
Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome - anyone else going to have a go?

I certainly think you should go ahead with this one Simon. :thumbs: I think there are a few of us on here that appreciate first generation DMUs and I personally, would like one of these in 7mm scale. I'd also like the driving trailer car that accompanied them sometimes, though given a choice, I'd probably go for the Pressed Steel version before the Gloucester one, as they're what I saw (a lot!), in my spotting days around Slough. :D

Regards

Dan

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Phill Dyson said:

Funnily enough, that's something I'd thought about doing too. :) I bought the 4mm Heljan version (I've no idea why really!) and was lucky enough to receive number 400 of 800. :) I suppose it ought to be easy enough to take some measurements from the 4mm version and produce some 7mm drawings to work from? Could the chassis (and perhaps parts of the body), from a Heljan 47 be used as a basis, or are they radically different?

Regards

Dan

28ten

Guv'nor
Simon said:
[quote=""28ten"":1t3upqz1]Whilst at the South Devon today I chatted to one of the chaps and we would be able to go down and crawl over theirs as long as we gave some notice. I got a few shots but its a bit difficult with a 3 year old clinging to your leg :laugh:

What a lovely shot, I was surfing last night and noticed that the South Devon have just outshopped their unit - just the job!

I'd definitely be up for doing a detailed survey and thank you very much for your offer of help on the etching side of things. I think I could also enlist the help of Captain Kernow, at least for a cup of tea - he doesn't live a million miles away from Buckfastleigh :D

On the other hand it is the immediacy of John's approach that is so appealing :scratch:

Either way, I can see that I might well get seduced into trying to cast an end in resin, given the amount of fiddling around I am bound to get involved in.

Perhaps we ought to combine forces to try to create a really good railcar "package" for the senior scales anyway :thumbs:[/quote:1t3upqz1]
Thats what I was thinking, I can see Resin ends and seats, im not sure but maybe bogies? one of the chaps told me they were nicknamed 'coffin nails' because every branch on which they were introduced closed within 2 years!!
I was far from ideal location for photographing the unit but here is another shot..

Attachments

• IMG_3270.jpg
    IMG_3270.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 89

westernfan

Western Thunderer
nice image of that 121 coffin nail aka bubble car there is still one in service with arriva trains wales it runs from cardiff queen st to bute rd or is it now called cardiff bay, imo the dmu green with whiskers and white roof ends suit them best .

Simon

Flying Squad
Dan Randall said:
[quote=""Simon"":dl4pff5q]Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome - anyone else going to have a go?

I certainly think you should go ahead with this one Simon. :thumbs: I think there are a few of us on here that appreciate first generation DMUs and I personally, would like one of these in 7mm scale. I'd also like the driving trailer car that accompanied them sometimes, though given a choice, I'd probably go for the Pressed Steel version before the Gloucester one, as they're what I saw (a lot!), in my spotting days around Slough. :D

Regards

Dan[/quote:dl4pff5q]

Funnily enough I agree with you, my personal experience was of the Pressed Steel 122, most notably a run over the Bridport branch in 1973 with a very vintage crew. But for the Withered Arm it would appear to be the 121 that was used, it is the small yellow panel with lined green and white domes that does it for me.

I guess the answer is to have one of each :eek: if this were to happen I'd start with a 121 as described above but go on to a 122 in all over blue with full yellow ends.

As I think I am right in thinking that the bodyshells were identical then if a project does get off the ground then hopefully cake can be both had and eaten :lol:

I'm just pondering the plans and considering how to attempt a basic end fabrication in plastikard - I think a cup of tea is called for :scratch:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Simon said:
As I think I am right in thinking that the bodyshells were identical then if a project does get off the ground then hopefully cake can be both had and eaten :lol:

:
The main differences are the 121 had headcode boxes & external window frames, but they had the same bodyshell & underframes..............I think :scratch:
Phill :wave:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Dan Randall said:
[quote=""Phill Dyson"":2sxojvs0]Interesting idea Simon , I hope you do decide to go for it ! :cool: :cool: :cool: . I will be dabbling in the world of scratch-building too , but I think I will start with some Ilfracombe influenced buildings first for my terminus :) , With regard to loco's & stock though, I would like to scratch-build/kit-bash 1200 Falcon at some stage in 7mm (something I have been considering for a while now)

Funnily enough, that's something I'd thought about doing too. :) I bought the 4mm Heljan version (I've no idea why really!) and was lucky enough to receive number 400 of 800. :) I suppose it ought to be easy enough to take some measurements from the 4mm version and produce some 7mm drawings to work from? Could the chassis (and perhaps parts of the body), from a Heljan 47 be used as a basis, or are they radically different?

Regards

Dan[/quote:2sxojvs0]
I think the 47 would be a starting point for the chassis :) & I think the cabs were based on 31 cabs :scratch: , the only time I managed to see the real one was on a spotting trip to Ebbw Jnc one Sunday morning :cool: :cool: :cool:
Phill :wave:

westernfan

Western Thunderer
this link to youtube video shows the arriva bubble car on the cardiff shuttle service it may be of use as there are some shots of the seating arrangment . its nice to see a 50 year old dmu back in service

i hope this is of some use for your potential project .

chris

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I am sure in one of the model rail mag's a while back a bloke built a 155 in 'O' out of plasticard it show you all of he differing stages of construction although it's a new build you might get some construction tips from thet article

Ian

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Phill Dyson said:
[quote=""Dan Randall"":1hw71knk][quote=""Phill Dyson"":1hw71knk]Interesting idea Simon , I hope you do decide to go for it ! :cool: :cool: :cool: . I will be dabbling in the world of scratch-building too , but I think I will start with some Ilfracombe influenced buildings first for my terminus :) , With regard to loco's & stock though, I would like to scratch-build/kit-bash 1200 Falcon at some stage in 7mm (something I have been considering for a while now)

Regards

Dan[/quote:1hw71knk]
I think the 47 would be a starting point for the chassis :) & I think the cabs were based on 31 cabs :scratch: , the only time I managed to see the real one was on a spotting trip to Ebbw Jnc one Sunday morning :cool: :cool: :cool:
Phill :wave:[/quote:1hw71knk]

Thanks Phil. :) If you do decide to have a go at a 7mm Falcon, don't forget to share the progress on here with your fellow Thunderers. :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

Simon

Flying Squad
Thanks for further input, I was wondering about why I couldn't see window frames on the units in North Cornwall :)

Well, I have started trying to "pin down" the cab end.

After spending last night analysing the shape and cutting out various bits of scale drawing and playing around with them, I have today started cutting Plastikard. I am trying to define the shape by constructing an eggbox/cruciform construction with horizontal sections put in where the side profile is defined, ie base, maximum width, below front windows, and ceiling levels. I am building it all forward of a shaped "bulkhead" which is between the drivers door and first window in terms of the bodyside.

The scale drawing behind the workpiece shows what an enormous vehicle this is, certainly compared to anything else I have attempted to build :shock:

Unitmod.jpg

Bits1.jpg

I can't decide whether I am building one end of the actual model or a pattern for casting ends. I think it is headed towards a pattern if for no other reason than I can't see how I can easily create the shape durably in plastikard complete with window openings, control panel, required thin edges etc etc.

This will require a complicated mould though, which is requiring unfeasable mental gymnastics to just try thinking about :headbang:

If nothing else the process will give me a better "feel" for the prototype and hopefully suggest an alternative method for building it if this doesn't work :lol: