122 Dmu

Simon

Flying Squad
Thank you very much Geoff, actually I'm feeling less gloomy about the time taken as it was only 4 years ago last June that I started:rolleyes:

Anyway, I have been cutting away part of the rainstrip and body side of the two cabs so that the side will butt up to the cab casting. Having got one side sort of done I have just stuck the "floor section" along the bottom edge of the side and set it all up in position with the cabs to check that the angle is right.

anglesolvWT.jpg anglesolv 006.jpg anglesolv 007.jpg

Needless to say there are "issues", most obvious being that I have made the gutter beading sit too low to properly match that on the cab casting, this is not the end of the world but will need some remedial action.

I intend to create a substantial styrene "land" on the inner edges of the cab castings on to which the sides can be glued, which will achieve a good transition between the different body sections I think.

But thinking this through any heavy work on the cab castings will need to be done before the body is assembled. I suspect my method will be to make a "kit" of five major components, two ends, two sides and the underframe which each locate with each other hopefully enabling correct "fit" to be checked. And the roof too I guess, although I intend that this will be removeable.

I may unclamp the second side and glue the strengthening strip on tonight before retiring.

Simon

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Looks good Simon, minor issues with gutters aside :) The angle looks good, and it don't half look impressive laid out on the bench like that.
Steve

Simon

Flying Squad
The second side is now formed and edged and the other side of cab castings "notched" to accept the sides, so the whole vehicle can now be mocked up.

Cabbedwt.jpg Cabbed 002.jpg Cabbed 003.jpg

I'm contemplating the next logical step after completing the internal window retaining frames, I probably ought to cut out the headcode "windows" and drill through for the marker lights, which would be very difficult operations with the body in one piece. I have ideas of a one piece assembly containing drivers desk/floor/bulkhead with the headcode and marker light illumination and wiring all being built in, there's the destination box to think about too.

Simon

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

that is a cracking bit of work that you are doing there:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:. Your idea for the desk/floor/bulkhead is already used by either Easybuild or Peter Clark, I have a set here to install into the 121 that I am plodding through. I'll rescue it from the workshop and post some pictures alter.

regards

Mike

Simon

Flying Squad
Thank you for all the encouraging comments:)

Not a very interesting picture, but I have just got in from the shed where I have been cutting and soldering Peco Gauge One rail with a view to producing an underframe. I sort of know where I'm going with this, it will be faced along its external sides with plastikard but the headstock will be sheet from etch waste cut to shape and soldered into place. I intend to make the bogie pivot/bearers out of etch waste too, probably flanged for rigidity across their width and at the ends to give an edge that can be soldered to the inside web of the chassis side rails.

framestart 004.jpg

It needs more cross members for rigidity but I'm moderately pleased with it, it is square enough for the job and almost without twist too. It is a much smaller section than that shown in the drawing, but I think about correct from looking at pictures of the real thing.

framepic.jpg

Last edited:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
You're welcome, anything that saves some time always helps.

I look forward to seeing the progress pictures.

cheers

Mike

Simon

Flying Squad
I have been doing a bit to this, all the internal window frames are now completed, the tumblehome seems to be holding well and I have pierced out the destination headcode and marker light openings.

Here is the current state of play mocked upon the bench.

122pic.jpg

Next up is fabricating and gluing a metal "L" shaped section along the top edge of the sides to give it a proper straight line and build in some protection to what will be a vulnerable area of the model. I think the inner part of this will be made from old SMP rail.

Simon

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
I have been doing a bit to this, all the internal window frames are now completed, the tumblehome seems to be holding well and I have pierced out the destination headcode and marker light openings.

Here is the current state of play mocked upon the bench.

View attachment 41480

Next up is fabricating and gluing a metal "L" shaped section along the top edge of the sides to give it a proper straight line and build in some protection to what will be a vulnerable area of the model. I think the inner part of this will be made from old SMP rail.

Simon
Hi Simon I am most impressed with this scratch build project of yours, I hope to see it at the Worcester Road open day, the Engine Shed Foreman is already drooling at the prospect.
Cheers
Mr TV

Simon

Flying Squad
Hi Simon I am most impressed with this scratch build project of yours, I hope to see it at the Worcester Road open day, the Engine Shed Foreman is already drooling at the prospect.
Cheers
Mr TV

Bloater paste sandwiches and Tizer at the ready:p

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
An awful lot of water has passed under my bridge since I last worked on this.

After an unexpectedly eventful few days last week and with Anno Domini firmly in mind (not to mention some brass angle strip picked up from Baz at Telford) last night I decided that I really must try to move the thing on a bit.

First off, I epoxied the brass angle (2mm X 3mm) along the top edges of both body sides, 3mm section on the inside, 2mm along the top edge - as you can see, it was very nearly long enough:rolleyes:

Pinned3.jpg

Next up was starting to form a "land" on the cab castings for the sides to be glued on to. I held the sides up to the castings and marked with a fine pencil where the internal edge came to on the resin casting. Next I drilled lots of holes along or just inside the edge, opened them out and then epoxied pieces of brass rod into them, the idea being to form a secure base upon which to construct the "land".

Pinned2.jpg Pinned1.jpg

I then ran extra epoxy along and in between the brass "pegs" to strengthen the whole thing and to start to form the "gluing edge".

It needs some cleaning up to enable the sides to sit fully home and follow the cab end profile, but at this stage I'm feeling quite hopeful.

Once I have a good fit I will probably simply epoxy the pieces together by flooding the interface with more epoxy, while somehow ensuring accurate alignment and a tight joint between side and cab end.

I will report back in due course, hopefully not in two plus years time :confused:

Simon