Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Hymek cab interior removal - HOW??

I haven't actually had my Hymek cabs out but they will be the same as the 47 (which I have had out) . They are just a tight fit & the bulkhead is separate from the floor/control panel, so with the 47 I removed the bulkhead first then the floor...........so it's just a case of gentle persuasion. The windows are the same, I just pushed them in from the outside in (very carefully)

[attachment=0:2naladqx]47 4 Jordan Cabs.jpg[/attachment:2naladqx]

Cheers Phill :wave:

P.S. Glad your doing it :thumbs:

Attachments

• 47 4 Jordan Cabs.jpg
    47 4 Jordan Cabs.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 47 4 Jordan Cabs.jpg
    47 4 Jordan Cabs.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 136

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Hymek cab interior removal - HOW??

I shall be watching this as I have just bought my first HYDRAULIC yes I have sucumbed purchased a hymek from ebay D7100 ltd edition

Ian

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Retitled: Jordan's Hymek....

Looks great so far :D , already a 200% improvement on how they come out of the box :thumbs: .
I would be tempted to blacken the roof tough...........the roofs didn't stay blue for very long. The livery wasn't applied for very long, but a few Hymeks kept it until withdrawal ;) . I would be tempted to paint the edges of the window frames black to disguise the thickness before you put your new windows back :scratch:

Will it remain as 7040 or are you going to re-number it ?

Phill :wave:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Jordan,

weathering is looking good. Try and get hold of the Tamiya weathing blocks, there are five different packs and they can be applied by the brush/sponge pad that comes with each pack or as I do, use a selection of flat brushes which have had the bristles shortened to give a 'stronger' applicator. The beauty of using these is that they can be washed off (warm soapy water on a cotton bud) if you are not happy with your efforts and you can then start again. The gunmetal and oil stain blocks are particularly good for bringing out detail.

Happy weathering

Mike

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

My Hymek numbers fitted straight over the Heljan numbers, I left the D7O on from D7040 on to aid positioning of the stainless ones, I can't remember if I used Shawplan or Prestige on this Hymek though so perhaps if you guys are having problems with the Shawplan ones, I may have used the Prestige ones on the Heljan.
The other problem with these numbers is they are not thick enough.........Steve doubled them up to get the correct depth on D7052 :bowdown: , I think I will do the same with my 3 at some stage as it is well worth the effort IMO :cool: :cool: :cool:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Jordan said:
Mine are Shawplan; I haven't actually checked the size yet (in fact I've not even opened the packet :rolleyes: :oops: ...) but I'd also heard about them being too thin. I don't think I'm going to bother laminating them though; I had enough trouble doing that with the (rather larger) connecting rods on my 14... :headbang:
I believe Shawplan are supposed to be producing thicker ones next time
Jordan said:
Have been looking through my copy of "Heyday of the Hydraulics" and on page 39 is a picture of D7046 in this livery and lightly weathered on the sides; yet the roof is absolutely black, especially over the cabs, just like you guys have been saying, so I must do more with the roof of mine.
P58 & P59 have good views of weathered blue roofs too :thumbs:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

CME & Bottlewasher said:
[quote=""Phill Dyson"":zg4q6lja]My Hymek numbers fitted straight over the Heljan numbers, I left the D7O on from D7040 on to aid positioning of the stainless ones, I can't remember if I used Shawplan or Prestige on this Hymek though so perhaps if you guys are having problems with the Shawplan ones, I may have used the Prestige ones on the Heljan.
The other problem with these numbers is they are not thick enough.........Steve doubled them up to get the correct depth on D7052 :bowdown: , I think I will do the same with my 3 at some stage as it is well worth the effort IMO :cool: :cool: :cool:

Hi Phill, :wave:

Have you an contact details for Prestige?

When I Googled them, loads of false leads and dross came up :headbang: :vista: :vista:

Cheers,

CME :wave:[/quote:zg4q6lja]

This should work: http://www.prestige10.webeden.co.uk/#/h ... 4528844156 :thumbs:

D1054

Western Thunderer

Very nice, Jordan. Lovely weathering. I only saw a couple of Hymeks in service andthey were just like yours! :thumbs: :bowdown:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

That's looking really good Jordan :D :cool: :cool: :cool: ..........slightly off topic, but could you tell me about some of the scenic effects & how they were achieved ? such as the tufts of long grass, the creeping ivy , the bushes & the bricks in the derelict building please :) . As I say, sorry to go off topic :oops: , but I'm in full scenic mode with Withercombe at the mo & your pointers would be most helpful :thumbs:

BTW, Don't forget to blacken the edges of the window frames ;) , it transforms those chunky Heljan pillars :thumbs:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

Phill Dyson said:
....slightly off topic, but could you tell me about some of the scenic effects & how they were achieved ? such as the tufts of long grass, the creeping ivy , the bushes & the bricks in the derelict building please ...
I was just going to refer you back to the layout thread for Withyn Reach, but looking back at it myself I seem to have skipped the "basics" of the scenery, so to answer your Q's here...
The base of the greenery on the embankments is expanded polystyrene, with some filler and primed with PVA, which was then painted over with green, brown & yellow acrylic paints, mixed up any old how. I think I sprinkled some Woodland Scenics ground foam over this too. The really wild-looking grass is hanging-basket liner (available from ?1 shops), cut & teased out and stuck with PVA. It didn't need any further painting or other treatment. Pretty much everything else is from Woodland Scenics;
The straighter grass clumps are 'Field Grass', the bushes 'Clump Foliage', ground cover 'Fine' & 'Coarse Turf', the "creeping ivy" is 'Foliage'.... all these products are linked to from that link above, and all readily available in the UK, though mostly from Shops that dabble in The Dark Side... :twisted:
As for the 'brick rubble' in the derelict building, that was made with... brick rubble, of course... :rolleyes: :lol: :p I kid you not; I crushed a chunk of old brick up and glued the resultant mess in place with dilute PVA, adding in a few bits of balsa wood and coal dust for good measure. :thumbs:
The 'water' in the cut is just several coats of gloss varnish over black paint, and most of the 'reeds' are paintbrush bristles. :D

Hope that helps!! :wave:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer

Very nice looking Hymek Jordan :thumbs: The weathering in my opinion makes any loco come to life and you have certainly done just that with yours :bowdown: :bowdown:

Rob :wave:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Jordan said:
Hope that helps!! :wave:
I certainly does :D :thumbs: , I haven't really done any scenic work for years & the products (a lot of which I'm not aware of :oops: ) have come on a lot since then :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks again ;)

D

downendian

Jordan
That black roof weathering transforms a blue Hymek. Don't have any 7mm models (yet) but will have a go on my 4mm fleet.
Let's hope the process you have used scales down OK.
Neil

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

downendian said:
Jordan
That black roof weathering transforms a blue Hymek. Don't have any 7mm models (yet) but will have a go on my 4mm fleet.
Let's hope the process you have used scales down OK.
Neil
Could we see a bigger version of your avatar Neil ? , it looks like a cracking photo :cool: :cool: :cool:

rjr

Western Thunderer

Beautiful model Jordan, could sit and look it for ages, in fact hope you don't mind but I was bored so I did sit and look for ages while altering the composition slightly. The new look may not be to every ones taste but it looks good on my desktop :)

jordan2.jpg

jordan.jpg

John