2mm Scale Association Diamond Jubilee Expo - 18 & 19 June 2022

2mm Andy

The 2mm Scale Association are pleased to announce that their Diamond Jubilee Expo will be held on Saturday 18th and Sunday 19th June 2022 at the Derby Conference Centre.

1645878655502.png

Originally planned to be held in 2020 but delayed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, this is a two day event celebrating sixty plus years of 2mm scale modelling. The venue is the Grade II listed Derby Conference Centre, built in the 1930s as the LMS School of Transport.

Dates & Times
Saturday 18th June 2022 10.00 – 5.00pm
Sunday 19th June 2022 10.00 – 3.30pm
(last entry 1 hour before closing)

Venue
Derby Conference Centre
London Road
Derby
DE24 8UX

The venue is accessible by wheelchair. There is free on-site parking (300 spaces) at the venue including 14 electric vehicle charging points. The conference centre is situated approx. 1.5 miles from Derby Railway Station on the main A6 road. Walking time from the station is approx. 25 mins or there are regular buses from the town centre and railway station. There is also a taxi rank outside the main entrance to the railway station. Nearest airport is East Midlands Airport which is about 12 miles away. There are numerous hotels in the area for those wishing to make a weekend of it.

PLEASE NOTE - there is a race event on the morning of Sunday 19th June for which a number of local roads will be closed. Those in the vicinity of the venue appear to be due to re-open by approx. 10:45am but you are advised to check details on the race event website here to see how your journey might be affected; Ramathon - 19th June 2022 | Run For All

Admission
2mm Scale Association members £5
Non-members £8
Accompanied children free

Layouts (all 2mm Finescale) - list correct to 05.04.2022
British Oak – West Riding Industrial - Mark Fielder
Copenhagen Fields – LNER Mainline just north of Kings Cross - The Model Railway Club
Coal Road – BR North Eastern Region - Rod McCall
Evercreech Junction – Somerset and Dorset in the 1950s - Alan Smith
Fence Houses – BR in the Durham coalfield - Bob Jones and team
Freshwater - Isle of Wight branch line terminus - Ian Morgan
Ivybridge – GW Mainline in South Devon - John Aldrick
Llangerisech – GW terminus in North Wales - Nigel Ashton
Mortonhampstead – GWR Dartmoor branchline terminus - Pete Warren
St Ruth – Cornish terminus based on Penzance - The Midlands Area Group
Wadebridge & Padstow - The Southern Railway in North Cornwall - John Greenwood
plus a display of Diamond Jubilee Layout Challenge entries

Traders
N Brass Loco
Hobby Holidays
A C Sissling
plus
2mm Scale Association Central Shop
Bring and Buy stand (Saturday only)

Refreshments (including hot meals) available

I will add further details as these become available from the Association's Events Officer, but if anyone has any questions, I will endeavour to get answers.

Andy

Last edited:

2mm Andy

With the events of one jubilee weekend drawing to a close, just a reminder that it is now just under two weeks to go until the 2mm Diamond Jubilee event.

I have updated my post above with a few more details. More information is also available on the dedicated page of the 2mm Scale Association website;

Andy

AndyB

Western Thunderer
With the events of one jubilee weekend drawing to a close, just a reminder that it is now just under two weeks to go until the 2mm Diamond Jubilee event.

I have updated my post above with a few more details. More information is also available on the dedicated page of the 2mm Scale Association website;

Andy
Does the entry fee apply to all 'classes' or include accompanied children?
Thanks,
Andy

2mm Andy

Does the entry fee apply to all 'classes' or include accompanied children?
Thanks,
Andy
Hi Andy, apologies for not spotting your question sooner. I don't know the answer myself, but have asked the question of the event organisers (I'm only an ordinary 2mm member who was asked to publicise the event) and will advise when I get a response.

thanks,

Andy

AndyB

Western Thunderer
Hi Andy, apologies for not spotting your question sooner. I don't know the answer myself, but have asked the question of the event organisers (I'm only an ordinary 2mm member who was asked to publicise the event) and will advise when I get a response.

thanks,

Andy
Thanks.
I was going to raise the issue of road closures on Sunday morning (having seen the signs out this week) - but I see you've edited your post above with this info.
It will take a bit of studying to work out what routes are affected when - and I kind of know the roads concerned!
Not too bad coming in via the south of Derby, but a challenge if coming from the north.

Andy B

2mm Andy

Yes, I only heard about the race event this morning. TBH it will mainly affect those manning the layouts, traders, etc. and staying off-site as the road closures are due to be lifted by 10:45am on the Sunday. I suspect most visitors on the Sunday will delay their visit slightly to miss the road closures.

It seems a busy time of the year in Derby, what with the nearby Download festival last weekend and now the Ramathon this weekend!

Anyway, I've got a reply now regarding the admission. Accompanied school age children will not be charged (ie. are included within the relevant adult ticket, be it at member or public rate). I hope that answers your question.

Andy

AndyB

Western Thunderer
Yes, I only heard about the race event this morning. TBH it will mainly affect those manning the layouts, traders, etc. and staying off-site as the road closures are due to be lifted by 10:45am on the Sunday. I suspect most visitors on the Sunday will delay their visit slightly to miss the road closures.

It seems a busy time of the year in Derby, what with the nearby Download festival last weekend and now the Ramathon this weekend!

Anyway, I've got a reply now regarding the admission. Accompanied school age children will not be charged (ie. are included within the relevant adult ticket, be it at member or public rate). I hope that answers your question.

Andy
Thanks for taking the trouble to find out.
Took a route round the north and west part of the inner ring road and arrived a bit before 10, so it was nice and quiet to start with.
Whilst I was talking to some of the operators on 'St Just', my daughter was invited to take the controls on Ian Morgan's 'Freshwater' layout and she spent a happy 15 minutes shunting....
Lots of excellent modelling on display for which you all have my greatest respect to work with such tiny stuff - I'll be sticking with Gauge 3 though!

Andy B

Last edited:
I had just reached the outskirts of Derby when my Satnav announced that it had lost the GPS signal. It never regained it and after an increasingky frustrating hour blundering around blindly, totally lost, I parked up in a side-street and walked. Turned out I'd parked right across the far side of town, another hour's walk away.
"It'd better be worth it." I muttered under my breath as I finally reached the venue.
Well it was!
Every layout was a show-stopper and even the layouts I'd seen before (several times, in the case of Copenhagen Fields) were more than good enough to merit repeat, lengthy visits. I was particularly taken with the imagination used on the Challenge entries.
I think the venue itself also deserves a mention - one of the best I've ever visited. Congratulations to whoever discovered it.
In fact, congratulations to everyone involved, both organisers and participants. It was a magnificent show!

PS. I called in at Dunelm, on one corner of the same roundabout as the venue, on the way home and was told by a lady on the checkout that the road closures had caused tempers to be lost and bollards to be thrown.

Marsh Lane

Western Thunderer
Thanks for taking the trouble to find out.
Took a route round the north and west part of the inner ring road and arrive a bit before 10, so it was nice and quiet to start with.
Whilst I was talking to some of the operators on 'St Just', my daughter was invited to take the controls on Ian Morgan's 'Freshwater' layout and she spent a happy 15 minutes shunting....
Lots of excellent modelling on display for which you all have my greatest respect to work with such tiny stuff - I'll be sticking with Gauge 3 though!

Andy B
Unfortunately unable to get to Derby, despite best efforts, other family issues intervened, but I have heard very good reports. Andy - the comparison between 2mm and Gauge 3 must have taken some adjusting!!!

D6356

Western Thunderer
A great day had and the weekend looks to have been top notch from all the various forum comments on the interwebby thing. I managed the Sunday and with a train ( remember them !) on time with a 09.40 arrival and a gentle stroll down London road - I felt tired just watching the half marathon runners jogging past. I could see having roads shut to allow paramedics easy access a brilliant move.
The show venue I agree was inspired and worth every penny, all the staff seemed quite unphased by the whole affair and hopefully some enjoyed it as well. For work in progress the award for building a mosquito and putting a model railway on top must go to Alan Smith, Keith Gloster and friends for Evercreech Junction - well worth watching this one develop. But everything really super and words cannot do justice but thanks for showing all the best in 2mm.
Robert

Chris Veitch

Western Thunderer
The show venue I agree was inspired and worth every penny, all the staff seemed quite unphased by the whole affair and hopefully some enjoyed it as well. For work in progress the award for building a mosquito and putting a model railway on top must go to Alan Smith, Keith Gloster and friends for Evercreech Junction - well worth watching this one develop. But everything really super and words cannot do justice but thanks for showing all the best in 2mm.
Couldn't agree more - a splendid show and the most inspiring I've been to for many years (so much so that it actually got me modelling when I got home, which is a significant achievement). One of my (many) favourites was Moretonhampstead with its true-scale length and beautiful prototype observation. I was also pretty overwhelmed by the sheer cleverness of everything - like watching the exquisite narrow gauge Gukanan, which was next to Nick Mitchell's display (i.e. with 9F with working reversing gear) while behind me one of the 60 year old Whall locos trundled across Copenhagen Fields.

However the real highlight was possibly the friendly and inclusive approach of the exhibitors and operators - thanks to you all for an excellent couple of days.