4mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Drainpipes from Plastruct pipe (not tube).. It bends without breaking...

WEB 7mm House 15A.jpg

The lavatory breather pipe was from a slightly larger diameter pipe held in place by split pins...
WEB 7mm House 15B.jpg

WEB 7mm House 15C.jpg

0-BB-05 Bargeboards were from the excellent range of laser cut parts from York Modelmaking.
WEB 7mm House 15D.jpg
And that's it for the time-being. It will now join the paintshop queue .....
WEB 7mm House 13E.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
An aborted project. This is one in which I attempted to adapt a Peco signalbox to resemble the one at Llanfyllin. My heart sank as soon as I saw the laser cut wooden steps and balcony.

The locking room is laser cut plywood and so too are the damn steps. It's a half-hearted approach when the Peco signal box is plastic and the steps + balcony handrails could have been too....

WEB Sbox 1.jpgWEB Sbox 2.jpg

WEB Sbox 3.jpgWEB Sbox 4.jpg

Last edited:

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Hello Larry. In case it is of interest, Churchward Models do an etched set of steps to suit their LNWR box, and you're probably aware that York Modelmaking do a laser-cut set in Rowmark with a rather more relaxed ascent to suit their Midland box. I thought there was another etched kit available but I can't remember from whom.

ACEFB812-F371-48A1-8FC2-8818FFA5F3A1.jpeg53272F53-314C-4D1D-90A3-B853DE40F44B.jpeg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hello Larry. In case it is of interest, Churchward Models do an etched set of steps to suit their LNWR box, and you're probably aware that York Modelmaking do a laser-cut set in Rowmark with a rather more relaxed ascent to suit their Midland box. I thought there was another etched kit available but I can't remember from whom.

View attachment 173357View attachment 173358
Hi Paul, I looked at images of the York Model making steps and tried to work out how they were assembled. I have more or less made my mind up to buy a different signal box kit which is pucker Cambrian and not too expensive.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Perseverance.....

Lots of cursing, butt joints and PVA... :rolleyes: The peculiar shape is because the signal box will be platform mounted. Looking at it now, it doesn't capture the look I was after, so some of the parts will be used on the next box....

WEB Sbox 6.jpg

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
I’m sure you’ll work your usual magic…

if you want steps, Plastruct do 1/48 with matching bannisters. I reckon they’re ok.

image.jpg

needs fixing down properly, and grubbifying.

And that stray bit of red insulation removing, and I’ve no idea where the screw came from…

Richard

Beware of the Llansantffraid crossing box. It is just crossing box and not a signal box and is too small for a reasonable sized lever frame. When I got it out of the box I thought they'd sent me a 4 mm version instead!

For some reason this model doesn't have interlocking bricks at the building ends which is odd when most laser cut models do have this feature.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Beware of the Llansantffraid crossing box. It is just crossing box and not a signal box and is too small for a reasonable sized lever frame. When I got it out of the box I thought they'd sent me a 4 mm version instead!

For some reason this model doesn't have interlocking bricks at the building ends which is odd when most laser cut models do have this feature.
I've built one before. Its looks to be the same type as at Llanfyllin. I'll just have to work on it to reverse it ...

WEB Small signal box 15 (1).jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
While waiting for something to arrive in the post, I continued erecting the ancillary bits in the Peco boxes. This is the initial painting stage using a shade more akin to ivory than cream, with GWR coach brown trim. Matt varnished using Halfords acrylic cans, they are now ready for the glass shades and all the other, as yet, unpainted plastic parts ...
WEB Lamps 8.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Still waiting for a new signal box kit, so I took advantage of the sun and plotted a few buildings between the loosely laid tracks. Even if the station building was pushed hard against the backscene, there would still be insufficient room for the goods shed at the front of the layout.

Seeing as the station takes up a lot of width, it makes sense to place the goods shed in the available space at the back of the layout. The perennial problem on the 4mm layout was the signalman's view past the goods shed. This has been solved now....

WEB Llanfair sig 2.jpg

The next move is to acquire a 7mm scale lorry to test the 'road' space behind the box. Shed roof is not attached as yet...
WEB Llanfair sig 1.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I've now started on a wagon kit.....It's all a bit scattergun while waiting for stuff. This Parkside kit was an impulse purchase to keep me occupied, Following instructions, I did the axleguards first and glued them to the solebars. The two grooves in the floor for the solebars were too narrow so were opened out...

WEB Horse 1.jpg

Once glued in place, the chassis was set up between books while it dried out overnight...
WEB Horse 2.jpg

Assembling brake gear with pincers, wagging tongue and Mekpak took a while even though I played safe and drilled out all the holes oversize. While most of the instructions are to one orientation, the brakegear drawing is upside down. I doubt it is assembled correctly...
WEB Horse 5.jpg

Then I came to the joker in the pack. At no point was Part No.3 mentioned. Part No.3 happens to be the chassis frame!!!
WEB Horse 4.jpg

The framework was cut into 6 parts and glued to the floor. I glued it upside down, not that the drawing showed there was a flange on one side! It gets worse. The parts are numbered on the sketches but are not numbered on the sprue.
WEB Horse 6.jpg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I bought two fruit vans for Moor Street, the sort that brought Guernsey toms to Brum. I half built the first. I think the second would go together better if I could remember what I learned not to do on the first half of the first.

My current HO Intermountain kit is more complex but has extra small parts, good instructions and is prepainted. I bought it a long time ago, the plastic is much more rigid.

Last edited: