4mm Llanfair ....

PaxtonP4

Western Thunderer
The local instruction for Truro (even with the Mid Cornwall Resignalling) is that if a platformed train is held at a red signal, at the five minute point, the guard must contact the ‘Bobby’ to confirm the train is complete. It’s a legacy from absolute block days, which ended earlier this year. However, there are all sorts of local rules which could be applied to your layout (as Tim has rightly said).
That's just Rule 55 except he's not reporting the train is complete but is waiting at the Home signal.

The local instruction could simply be the guard confirms to the signaller that the train is ‘complete’ on arrival. Little things like this add to the story you are portraying with your layout

That's just Rule 147

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks everyone. I am glad this mini debate generated some interesting information.

Populating the layout with rolling stock helped a lot yesterday. I left things as they were overnight, but I am simply wedded to having the goods shed at the end of the platform....

WEB Llanfair new 9.jpg

Some cosmetic chairs are needed here and there. The Coal is under the watchful eye of station staff. This leaves a long siding for storing occasional carriages....
WEB Llanfair new 9C.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I don’t know if this is of use or not…

The local instruction for Truro (even with the Mid Cornwall Resignalling) is that if a platformed train is held at a red signal, at the five minute point, the guard must contact the ‘Bobby’ to confirm the train is complete. It’s a legacy from absolute block days, which ended earlier this year. However, there are all sorts of local rules which could be applied to your layout (as Tim has rightly said).

The local instruction could simply be the guard confirms to the signaller that the train is ‘complete’ on arrival. Little things like this add to the story you are portraying with your layout. :)

I hope this is of some use.

Best wishes,
As far as I can remember (it's a few years now since I retired!), the configuration of the signals and block sections in that part of Cornwall meant that the Truro signaller was not able to see the tail lamp of an up train, until it had passed the box. If the timetable is sparse and there's nothing waiting at the signalbox in rear (latterly all the way back at Roskear Jct - Cambourne), then that's not such a problem. But if Roskear had something to offer forward to Truro, then the section must have been cleared and the only way that can happen on the Up at Truro, is for the guard to confirm to the signaller (as soon as the train has arrived at the platform), that the train is 'complete with tail lamp'. That then means that Truro could accept the next up train from Roskear and turn his block indicator to 'Line Clear'. That then sent an electrical release back to Roskear, enabling him to clear his Up section signal, an essential action if the next train was non-stop and needed a green at the Up Distant, in order to maintain the timetable.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Back to the model, populating the layout with rolling stock helped a lot. Key advantages were a more open yard, no shadow from the goods shed, and making use of the space behind the waiting rooms for the Provender store....

View attachment 223458

Either line in the yard can store a 2-coach train...
View attachment 223460

Some cosmetic chairs are needed here and there....
View attachment 223461

You can get so focused on the build that we canforget what it is we are doing. For that reason, I do think that it's so important that when building our layouts, at each step ( where possible ) things are finished by placing stock, buildings etc back on the layout as it reminds us of what the finished layout will look like. Once the running stage is reached, I like to run something to round things up for the same reason.

Rob

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
As far as I can remember (it's a few years now since I retired!), the configuration of the signals and block sections in that part of Cornwall meant that the Truro signaller was not able to see the tail lamp of an up train, until it had passed the box. If the timetable is sparse and there's nothing waiting at the signalbox in rear (latterly all the way back at Roskear Jct - Cambourne), then that's not such a problem. But if Roskear had something to offer forward to Truro, then the section must have been cleared and the only way that can happen on the Up at Truro, is for the guard to confirm to the signaller (as soon as the train has arrived at the platform), that the train is 'complete with tail lamp'. That then means that Truro could accept the next up train from Roskear and turn his block indicator to 'Line Clear'. That then sent an electrical release back to Roskear, enabling him to clear his Up section signal, an essential action if the next train was non-stop and needed a green at the Up Distant, in order to maintain the timetable.
The other thing I remembered after posting the above, is that in latter years, a Tail Lamp Camera was provided at Truro, to give the signaller confirmation of 'Complete With Tail Lamp'. This is, of course, of no use to Larry's layout's era!

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Plywood left over from baseboard construction has been re-shaped to form raised ground around the terminus. The station approach road and entrance to the goods yard has a leg branching off to the cattle dock and end loading platform. Layers of 1/8" cork will be overlaid to bring the 'land' up to height and provide a smooth surface....
WEB Llanfair new 10A.jpg

No firm decision yet about the coal yard.....
WEB Llanfair new 10B.jpg

WEB Llanfair new 10C.jpg

Cork glued down with neat PVA, weighted and now dry. Much more will be added before shaping the surface with an electric sander..
WEB Llanfair new 10D.jpg

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Populating the layout with rolling stock helped a lot yesterday. I left things as they were overnight, but I am simply wedded to having the goods shed at the end of the platform....

Looks OK. At least with the coal siding at the back and it's length you don't have to lean over the goods shed to uncouple the wagons.

sjp23480

Hi Larry,

I have followed your work for some time, but apart from "liking" posts I tend not to comment.

However, I find myself posting now as I am more than a bit confused! :confused:

What scale/gauge you are working in now?

I know you sold off all the 00 stock, then all the 0 gauge stuff, are you back to 4mm/00?

Many thanks!
Steve

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry,
That's looking good so far, but I can't help thinking the most logical place for the signalbox would be opposite the yard crane at the entry to the loop.
Thanks Mike. Llanfair Road is a real place in my mind. It wouldn't be Llanfair without the platform-mounted signalbox.

Hi Larry,
I know you sold off all the 00 stock, then all the 0 gauge stuff, are you back to 4mm/00?
Hi Steve, 4mm/00.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Woodland Scenics fine grey ballast was glued with neat PVA in the goods yard and filed down when dry as usual. Dark grey and rust colour were sprayed here and there to give the ground some character...

WEB Llanfair new 12C.jpg

Long and short grass was added by sticking it into neat PVA and vacuuming off the surplus, which makes the grass stand up...
WEB Llanfair new 12B.jpg

This was intended to be the coal area, but the dust would have been a nuisance so close to the station...
WEB Llanfair new 12A.jpg

So the coal yard has been relocated. Empties can be pushed down the long siding if any coaches need stabling.....
WEB Llanfair new 12D.jpg

Western Thunderer
Looks like you are using Peco Bullhead points Larry? Or maybe British Finescale, either way it looks the part, those flatbottom points always looked wrong in amongst the bullhead plain line. Well done, it's probably why I also thought it was 7mm at first.
Tony

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Looks like you are using Peco Bullhead points Larry? Or maybe British Finescale, either way it looks the part, those flatbottom points always looked wrong in amongst the bullhead plain line. Well done, it's probably why I also thought it was 7mm at first.
I bit the bullet and bought Peco '00' bullhead points & track. There is one flat bottom behind the water tank but its barely noticeable to be honest.

The appearance of 0 gauge track and the Dapol 14xx were always the big draw for me, but the forthcoming 4mm/00 14xx and a full range of 57xx panniers pretty well cancelled out my reasons for 0 gauge.

Last edited: