6221 Queen Elizabeth and the crazy task of building her train

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
As far as I'm aware, the wheels were dark blue, not the blue as applied to the bodywork.
Quit correct Larry. But if you were doing a red one the wheels were black.

ATB

OzzyO.

PS. Precision paints just call it (P45) L.M.S. dark blue for the wheels and the thin line along the outside of the silver main lining. You may getaway with the dark blue that the Caledonian railway used.

You used to be able to get a livery data sheet from precision paints for Queen Elizabeth the data sheet number is or was 2030.

Last edited:

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Hello all,

I've been away that long that I can't remember if you like photos on here. Well just in case you do I thought that I'd post a few, all are copyright and are only posted for information purposes. Now where to start?

I'm thinking information about the loco could be a good starting point.
This one has the dates of building and other information like the fitting of double chimneys and such.
IMG_9766.JPG

These two are for Queen Elizabeth (the late queen mum).
IMG_9771 (2).JPG
IMG_9770.JPG

Now to get on to the details of the loco and some of her sisters. These photo show the shroud around the cylinder drain cocks. Note also that there's no vent in front of the cylinders. Also the small hatch to the side of the single chimney.
IMG_9767.JPG
IMG_9768.JPG
IMG_9772.JPG

One of the red ones showing how the front end changed in the second batch of streamliners. It also look like the handrails on the front end had changed shape a bit.
IMG_9773.JPG

Back to the blue ones, a nice high angle shot of 6220 departing Euston on the nearly fatal high speed test run.
IMG_9769 - Copy.JPG

Now onto some of the details first the speedometer drive.
IMG_9765.JPG

The drivers side live steam injector. This loco is still with her old streamlined tender you can tell this by how high up the top of the door opening is on the tender.
IMG_9763.JPG

A couple of photos showing the exhaust steam injector. How about the good! paintwork on the tender. It also goes to show how the elements got to the original colour, I would have loved to see this photo in colour.
IMG_9775.JPG

A photo showing a non-streamlined one showing the cab door opening look at how much lower the doorway cut out goes.
post-32071-0-52272300-1508418831_thumb - Copy (2).jpg

The sort of photo that we (most) of us like, the cab shot.
IMG_9764.JPG

If you want more information about the paint work I should be able to dig some out. This shows how the lining was laid out on the blue ones and the red ones. Along with the buffer beam and the experimental blue livery.
Paint job Duchesses 5.jpg

Hope this helps a bit.

ATB

OzzyO.

Attachments

• IMG_9771.JPG
    IMG_9771.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9762.JPG
    IMG_9762.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 2

T30rra

Hello all,

I've been away that long that I can't remember if you like photos on here. Well just in case you do I thought that I'd post a few, all are copyright and are only posted for information purposes. Now where to start?

I'm thinking information about the loco could be a good starting point.
This one has the dates of building and other information like the fitting of double chimneys and such.
View attachment 196349

These two are for Queen Elizabeth (the late queen mum).
View attachment 196355
View attachment 196354

Now to get on to the details of the loco and some of her sisters. These photo show the shroud around the cylinder drain cocks. Note also that there's no vent in front of the cylinders. Also the small hatch to the side of the single chimney.
View attachment 196350
View attachment 196351
View attachment 196357

One of the red ones showing how the front end changed in the second batch of streamliners. It also look like the handrails on the front end had changed shape a bit.
View attachment 196358

Back to the blue ones, a nice high angle shot of 6220 departing Euston on the nearly fatal high speed test run.
View attachment 196352

Now onto some of the details first the speedometer drive.
View attachment 196348

The drivers side live steam injector. This loco is still with her old streamlined tender you can tell this by how high up the top of the door opening is on the tender.
View attachment 196346

A couple of photos showing the exhaust steam injector. How about the good! paintwork on the tender. It also goes to show how the elements got to the original colour, I would have loved to see this photo in colour.
View attachment 196367

A photo showing a non-streamlined one showing the cab door opening look at how much lower the doorway cut out goes.
View attachment 196360

The sort of photo that we (most) of us like, the cab shot.
View attachment 196347

If you want more information about the paint work I should be able to dig some out. This shows how the lining was laid out on the blue ones and the red ones. Along with the buffer beam and the experimental blue livery.
View attachment 196361

Hope this helps a bit.

ATB

OzzyO.
Ohhh Ozzy, your very informative and we all appreciate you very much, certainly I do. I have the books on the coronations but nevertheless your points and knowledge are extremely valuable and I will keep an eye out on the next bits (I best start writing this down)

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Yes, I am sure that I drilled holes in mine to let the screws hold both parts.

I was hoping that I had taken a photo of one of them but it seems not.