PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Good morning, it’s been a while since I posted and so much has happened, I moved up from EM gauge to 7mm which I loved but after making quite a bit of progress and accumulating quite a few locos I realised the reality that I’d probably never finish the project due to the size and lack of space I had at home. I also managed to join the real railway world so that along with locos just sat in boxes due to the lack of playability led to mojo almost disappearing completely. So this year after about four years modelling 7mm I decided to move back down to 4mm, the decision made easier due to the newly released Bachmann class 47’s and the forthcoming accurascale 31’s and 37’s etc.

To the layout…

My 7mm layout was based on the Edge Hill diesel fuelling/service point built in the 60’s on parts of the old steam shed so I wanted to carry on this idea. Originally it was called North Mersey Diesel, then Edge Hill itself but due to my plans being tweaked I’m sitting on the fence and calling it by its fictitious depot code, I was wanting to build it as a ‘what if’ scenario but as accurate as possible to the surroundings and infrastructure but as with most things you get carried away and you also realise that adding your own bits makes a more interesting layout. The backdrop to the layout is the raised up and down goods lines, these cross over the front of the shed acting as a scenic break, to the back of this there is a line dropping down off the down goods, at Engine shed junction’ which disappears down the back, this is gives access on and off the depot. As the ‘up ‘ goods curves off the viaduct there’s a point leading to two (possibly three) sidings also raised on the embankment. These will be electrified as will the goods and be used as a stabling point for ac locos and the story behind all this will be it’s a change over point from diesel to electric and vice versa for onward journeys either over wired routes or to the docks etc using diesel traction. The depot building itself will be a two through road fuelling/servicing point long enough to accommodate two locos on each road, a stores building will run along one side with a two story office attached to one end.

At the moment the track is almost laid on the first two boards, I’m using C&L’s new bullhead flexi but all points are hand built, board three will be laid last once the embankment is built etc, the first part of this which swings across board 1 is built and the track is down including the hand built junction, I’m currently in the process of soldering the droppers on. Due to the positioning of the points above the depot roads I’m using working point rodding which will be operated by an ip digital cobalt which is in a more easier position to install etc.
The fleet! At the moment it consists of a cl20, a cl40, three 47’s, DP2 and an AL6 all of which are sound fitted, I also have an 08, two AL5’s and a 108 DMU which all still need sound decoders. I also have on order a SLW cl25, two accurascale 37’s and a 31.

Due to work etc progress seems to be in bursts but hopefully all the track will be down and up and running soon.

Cheers60132DC3-62A6-471A-8DA6-EC1AE7923E9C.jpegFB9A7E7C-4A89-4844-A300-65B77ECCA391.jpeg9E4A3225-2079-4F9D-B331-9B193F5BE4CF.jpeg777E8C5F-BDF8-4194-B396-74500ED9B449.jpegD233518B-D085-4C5A-B445-1B49F25CF649.jpegF684AA23-A78C-45F7-8BA6-F0BAE9AB57F7.jpeg1B7DF0D9-8275-43FD-97E8-16FBAD203B97.jpegD802B1D3-4F53-4D05-9EDD-A2C0AE3224D7.jpeg

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Over the last couple of weeks it’s been playing on my mind how board number three would look as regards to the track plan etc, also the electric loco stabling point, I just wasn’t convinced with where it was going so I thought long abs hard over the last few days to the point were I’ve realised a few things. Nothing will ever be 100% accurate, it’s a model after all and I think I’ve been to focused on trying to replicate something that clearly won’t fit rather than build what makes me happy. So I’ve decided on a final track plan, no images as yet but the wired stabling point will be raised and be at the height of the up and down goods, now I say ‘goods’ but these will also accommodate dmu services and the odd loco hauled services to. Also, totally fictional, will be a line branching off to off scene carriage sidings again allowing a better variety of playability. This and the up and down goods will cross a road before disappearing behind taller buildings acting as the scenic break, one of the buildings will be a bus depot based on the old Litherland bus depot on Linacre Road, I’ve fond memories of this place as a kid growing up so why not and the Bootle branch ran next to it! Opposite this will be road access to the Diesel servicing point, the only change to the depot itself will be locos will enter and exit the shed via the same road which drops down at the back of the layout. One thing that I was getting carried away with was the length this will be 12’ max (scenic section) although the front will be slightly more as the viaduct carrying the goods is at an angle.

So apart from that other info is the breakdown train formation is complete I just need to repaint and modify two coaches, and I’ve acquired a rather nice addition to the fleet but I’ll post photos soon.

Paul

jonte

Western Thunderer
Incidentally, Paul, the bus depot there was originally a tram shed, according to my wife’s family who lived not too far from the site. I’m sure it would make a great subject for a model.

Don’t get too hung up on slaving to every detail of ‘the real thing’, Paul. What may ‘appear’ in real life does not always translate into a good model because, by definition, it’s a model so can never be the real thing, hence the use of artistic license ;)

Most of all, Paul: just enjoy it. It’s merely a hobby after all. If it all gets too much, just put it aside for a while and do something else, something I did myself quite recently; your enthusiasm will return. And I hope you don’t lose your mojo, as there’s some very fine modelling produced in those pictures of your first post.

I look forward to seeing your depot.

Jonte

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Great weathering on the 20!
Can you enlighten me on the origins/purpose of the red panel hosting the Z logo on the 47 please?

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Incidentally, Paul, the bus depot there was originally a tram shed, according to my wife’s family who lived not too far from the site. I’m sure it would make a great subject for a model.

Don’t get too hung up on slaving to every detail of ‘the real thing’, Paul. What may ‘appear’ in real life does not always translate into a good model because, by definition, it’s a model so can never be the real thing, hence the use of artistic license ;)

Most of all, Paul: just enjoy it. It’s merely a hobby after all. If it all gets too much, just put it aside for a while and do something else, something I did myself quite recently; your enthusiasm will return. And I hope you don’t lose your mojo, as there’s some very fine modelling produced in those pictures of your first post.

I look forward to seeing your depot.

Jonte
Thanks Jonte, yes it was a tram shed before being the bus sheds but I’m to young to remember that thankfully my enthusiasm has returned so much more since moving away from 7mm, hopefully I’ll get some droppers soldered tonight.

Thanks again

Paul

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Great weathering on the 20!
Can you enlighten me on the origins/purpose of the red panel hosting the Z logo on the 47 please?
Thanks mate, the red panel on the 47 was an experimental livery know as XP64, it lost the red arrows after a while abs retained the experimental blue for a while.

Cheers

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Very interesting modelling - you certainly have the art of weathering mastered for the era your layout intends to portray. As for moving down to 4mm from 7mm, I did exactly the same with the slight difference of selling off my 7mm material lock stock and barrel. The move back to 4mm is indeed invigorating - good luck with your progress :)!

Roger.

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Very interesting modelling - you certainly have the art of weathering mastered for the era your layout intends to portray. As for moving down to 4mm from 7mm, I did exactly the same with the slight difference of selling off my 7mm material lock stock and barrel. The move back to 4mm is indeed invigorating - good luck with your progress :)!

Roger.
Thanks Roger very much appreciated I’ve sold quite a bit of my O gauge so far but I’ve still got a few locos to sell, these will pay for the next board etc and other bits I’m after. Must admit I’m so much more enthusiastic about modelling again since moving down, there’s certain things I miss about 7mm but on a whole I’m not regretting the move.

Paul

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Although I’ve had ten days off I’ve not managed much more due to a small five year old stuck to my side although she does love model trains and travelling on them! I have managed to get timbers painted and stuck down on what will be the junction to the off scene carriage sidings and access to the shed. This will be the first single slip I’ve made so although it’s a bit daunting I am looking forward to it.55A3C66E-6E1A-4540-8C06-97EBB38D354F.jpegView attachment 160631

039D9895-C9ED-4762-B5DE-52ADA948B2B9.jpeg

Paul

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
One of the latest additions to the fleet that arrived the other week, I know it’s the wrong region etc but I prefer the look with the corridor connection especially in the early livery. I’ve also placed the slip where it will go in relation to the three points that will give access to the three sidings for stabling ac locos.

Paul4942EAE8-1640-4990-AE1C-B47932069CCD.jpeg574BD6F1-6EA3-45F2-B59D-05DA23C76D76.jpeg3530BBA3-9C78-4216-A35F-285A4C4135BF.jpegF72ADADA-D4B5-400A-845A-3276E9CDF335.jpeg9E503E3B-B3E8-4E36-A58F-7CC2DC1F2011.jpeg970EB35F-5AC1-46A9-9766-5FC9F3F5EA2F.jpeg

jonte

Western Thunderer
Fine looking models, Paul.

The Ribble buses I remember were the L3 and (I think) L1 which went from Crosby, as I recall (from where I hail), to Town, although they had flat fronts unlike the one in your photo which must have been before my time.

I used to ride the later circular services (C1 and c2) to school.

The Crosby Bus station was just a small area of land on Little Crosby Road, where the buses could turn around, and situated over the road from where Sainsbury’s now stands.

Southport bus station was formally the CLC station on Lord Street.

I also remember the Atlantean ‘Corpy’ (Corporation) buses, which terminated at the (now truncated) end of the Dock Road in Seaforth. Incidentally, it was also the site of the old Seaforth terminus of the Overhead Railway.

Jonte

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Fine looking models, Paul.

The Ribble buses I remember were the L3 and (I think) L1 which went from Crosby, as I recall (from where I hail), to Town, although they had flat fronts unlike the one in your photo which must have been before my time.

I used to ride the later circular services (C1 and c2) to school.

The Crosby Bus station was just a small area of land on Little Crosby Road, where the buses could turn around, and situated over the road from where Sainsbury’s now stands.

Southport bus station was formally the CLC station on Lord Street.

I also remember the Atlantean ‘Corpy’ (Corporation) buses, which terminated at the (now truncated) end of the Dock Road in Seaforth. Incidentally, it was also the site of the old Seaforth terminus of the Overhead Railway.

Jonte
Morning Jonte sorry delay in replying it’s been a busy few days with work then my daughter had a dance show for a couple of days. I used to love the corpy Atlanteans, although they’re not the easiest or cheapest in 4mm hence why I have more Ribble I grew up in Litherland so not to far from where you grew up! Crosby’s and Litherland have changed a lot I must admit.

Paul

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Had the house to myself for a bit yesterday so cut a new piece for the raised section on board number 2 and had a bit of a play seeing where the points for the AC stabling point will go and the single slip etc. it also gave me chance to get a feel of how things are coming along. I also took the opportunity to do a short video of the fleet.

801965FC-4594-48F1-B64D-85ED05F93158.jpegD35E6031-B268-4B34-AFA7-37C25E279791.jpegE12106D8-4959-4C28-9616-3A22AF071B78.jpeg37D9031E-7165-4E7C-AADC-30B93766781B.jpeg6B64C57C-7A10-4255-8892-3192291B0CC8.jpeg06BA552C-4D4C-45B2-B31A-6C5D84BCA000.jpegAE2A1DDB-602F-4649-9B02-3A5A9DE3F375.jpeg93F15C45-5C80-476E-BC2F-EE12121C7FB7.jpeg34C84803-073A-44F7-B81E-0FFF149F54C9.jpeg51AD5D58-A9EC-4A45-845D-133BEBC66782.jpeg9FBA0DC4-28CF-4494-A7C0-EA3CAE7A2ED3.jpegF124A076-328D-4219-837E-5D03A1777647.jpeg96F4763E-478E-4F22-8324-005FE526B824.jpeg
1286DC2F-4EBE-4B1E-A8E3-000A0A0DC6E2.jpegF4B6DE37-98CF-4374-84AF-FCE3EA0809FA.jpeg

Paul

simond

Western Thunderer
That’s interesting.

I (almost) always start at the crossing and work out from there, but you’re starting with the stock rails, and working in….

(I say “almost always” as I might lay one stock rail and then gauge the crossing from it and then build from there.)

Are there advantages to doing it from the stock rails inwards?