A look back at Kylesku and The Mound

Overseer

Western Thunderer
the station being named after the lump of rock towering over it
Richard,
Lovely models which go a long way to capturing the essence of the Highlands. One small point though, The Mound is named after the causeway across Loch Fleet adjacent to the station. The causeway was designed by Thomas Telford to avoid the ferry across Loch Fleet at Littleferry. It was built by William Young, the Sutherland Estate Factor, using local labour and completed in 1816. The A9 still crosses the mound.

Ben Alder

Western Thunderer
Yes, I have read that about the crossing, but up here The Mound is equated with the hill there now marked as The Mound Rock on OS maps but back in the early editions was ascribed as Creag Mhor ,which translates to Big Hill, or Mound. The earthern/stone crossing itself I have seen mentioned as Telford's causeway, which is a more accurate description of the structure than a mound, while the area itself around the rock is also called The Mound, so I wonder if it was originally a play on words using the name of the rock to reflect on the minuteness of the causeway compared to the presence of Creag Mhor.... guess its all lost in time now.

Kylestrome

That was a wonderful layout, Ben, it’s a shame it had to go. The photos are fantastic, particularly those with the stormy skies and lighting!

David

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Yes, I have read that about the crossing, but up here The Mound is equated with the hill there now marked as The Mound Rock on OS maps but back in the early editions was ascribed as Creag Mhor ,which translates to Big Hill, or Mound. The earthern/stone crossing itself I have seen mentioned as Telford's causeway, which is a more accurate description of the structure than a mound, while the area itself around the rock is also called The Mound, so I wonder if it was originally a play on words using the name of the rock to reflect on the minuteness of the causeway compared to the presence of Creag Mhor.... guess its all lost in time now.
I find that sad on a number of levels. Mainly that the original name of the hill has been lost, probably largely due to the very efficient work of the same William Young in clearing the Sutherland estates. By the 1870s when the OS maps were being surveyed there was probably no one living locally who knew the name of the hill so it was described as ‘big rock’, rock being a much more likely translation of creag than hill or mound. There a lots of Gaelic words for different types of hills. The same 1873 OS map has the causeway clearly marked as The Mound. Naming a causeway The Mound had precedence, the embankment built in the 18th Century to link the Old and New Towns in Edinburgh is still The Mound. I think a campaign should be started to find and reinstate the old name of the creag mhor beside The Mound.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The rock faces in your initial posts are very realistic. I presume the 16XX is a whitemetal kit. Was it Westward Models? I have the rtr one and aim to keep it as a display models. It's super. Wish there was one in 7mm.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
A delightful reflection of the period with excellent modelling in all respects with great attention to realism and detail. Thank you for a nice post-Christmas treat and I wish you a Happy New Year and successful progress with your current project.

Roger

Ben Alder

Western Thunderer
Thanks - Woodland Scenics moulds with Stonecast and lots of Polyfilla to fill and blend, then some grey and black washes.The 16xx seen in these pics is just a renumbered 57xx.....;)who can tell the difference........I had a Sutherland Model kit of a 16xx in the pile but never got round to putting it together in the lifetime of this layout - it now resides at Helmsdale.
The rock faces in your initial posts are very realistic. I presume the 16XX is a whitemetal kit. Was it Westward Models? I have the rtr one and aim to keep it as a display models. It's super. Wish there was one in 7mm.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Ah, I am pretty sure Brian Brown@Westward let his kits go to Ron Charlton@Sutherland Model Casters, both old friends, although Ron passed away some years ago. Looking at the 16xx now, I can see its a 57xx....I'm easily fooled ...:)