Book A Reference Collection

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have made mention of the Hampshire "Railway Reference Collection" from several of my topics, this post provides some details of the collection. The Hampshire Railway Collection is to be found in the Winchester Library... known as a "Discovery Centre" although I have yet to discover why...

Most libraries have a collection of library books, nothing new there then. What is interesting and unique about the railway collection in Winchester is the origins of the collection - the majority of the books came from the Eastleigh Railway Institute at some point towards the end of the last century. At this time the railway collection is housed in a dedicated room of the Winchester Library where around 1500 books are on display.. The remainder of the railway collection is held in the same building and available upon request - this is where the real interest and gems can be found for the Railway Institute passed over long runs of the relevant professional journals, for example the proceedings of the Institute of Locomotive Engineers. Most of the journals date from circa 1900, about the time that the LSWR Locomotive Works moved from Nine Elms to Bishopstoke.

The entire railway collection has been catalogued and can be searched online using the Hampshire Library search facilities.

A flyer for the railway collection is below:-

railway-collection.jpg

Not sure why Hampshire Library Service chose a photo of a GWR station for the flyer, nice photo all the same.

regards, Graham