7mm A small GWR pre-grouping goods train

S

SteveO

I started building these wagons just before Christmas and was experimenting by documenting the builds using the blog system of RMW but I'm still undecided whether I like that or not. Anyway, in the spirit of The Guv's legacy and the suggestion by Adrian that we try something new, I will also start a thread here.

In early December I saw a few ABS wagons for sale on ebay and decided on a speculative punt and put a low on on the six wagon kits for sale. When I later checked I found out that I'd won five of them! Brilliant. Although these were all GWR and pre-grouping wagons – nothing could be further from my modelling preference – but what the hell, I already have a few ABS wagons and brake vans for my future layout so I thought I'd test out gluing the kits together instead of soldering. This is my basic toolkit:
IMG_1922.JPG
IMG_2226.JPG

Among the kits were two V6 Mink vans with upgraded DC1 brakes so thought I'd start with these. I worked on the principle that superglues work best with a large, flat and smooth contact area for a good bond so I concentrated on filing all glued surfaces to as level a plane as possible, test fitting as much as possible. As it happened, the surfaces were very slippery and working with 10 second superglue proved a bit more difficult than I thought, so even though the fit was perfect they still moved a little while I was holding them, but I had not noticed until I let go and rechecked the fit. Here are the bodies being made up in stages:

IMG_1921.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG
IMG_1975.JPG

As this was an experiment with glue rather than building something for appearance, I decided to build the kit as-is so used the supplied buffers (drawing pins inserted into brass tubes). Had I been building them for a layout I would have definitely replaced them.

With the help of you I managed to solve a problem with misfitting wheel bearings (using Heywoods bearings with Peco wheels!) and I'm now using Heywoods wheels. As Jeff pointed out, getting a totally square fit on the bearings is essential so I made sure the inside axle guard surfaces were filed smooth and true.

As of tonight I've fitted the wheels and the lever of the DC1 brakes, ready for the next stage. I'm going to a funeral tomorrow so probably won't be able to fit any more in until next week.

IMG_2227.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1921.JPG
    IMG_1921.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1923.JPG
    IMG_1923.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2226.JPG
    IMG_2226.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 26

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have been trying to keep up with your writings over there... not eassy when there seems to be a gremlin in the "watch this blog" feature - I can click the follow button till bored and still get no notifications... and there is nom guarantee that a new blog entry is showing in the "recent" blog updates section when I browse the forum.

Glad that you have decided to create a parallel universe over here.

S

SteveO

The bottle of Rioja and water you see in the background has a story behind it. I'll tell it one day. They are both from The Swan Hotel in Bibury.

So far the experiments with superglue seem to be going well. As long as the contact faces are large and smooth enough it seems to hold very well. When I've finished building them I'm taking them to the club for a little demolition derby to see how they hold up. If a bit of rough shunting can't break them apart I'll replace the buffers and paint them. That may also necessitate obtaining a GWR loco to pull them with... I'll need advice about that as my knowledge of the west only extends to the Class 22 and 42 – which are 60 years younger than the wagons!