7mm American O scale Southern Pacific Motive Power and Rolling Stock

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Stephen

If you are looking for a prototype C class loco I have a copy of Dunscomb’s steam bible with pages of Consolidation photos. There were 32 classes that carried SP numbers. PM me.
Thank you! I'm going to have a look at what SP 2-8-0 brass models have previously been produced, wipe the tears from my eyes and maybe see which variant has the most appeal.
There’s a bloke over there doing the SP in HO, runs a very useful longtime thread, good for picking up a lot of background knowledge:
I remember seeing that forum previously - so thank you for the reminder, I've already lost a good few hours trawling its pages this weekend!

To echo @mickoo .... Welcome to the dark side....muhahahar

SP decals can be obtained from Protocraft who now have a relatively extensive list with the main categories at the bottom of the page.

SP box cars are in a subsection of their own
It was only a certain amount of time before the dark side was breached! :) And funnily enough I'm just about to place an order with Protocraft.

Hi Steven welcome to the wonder full world of American O :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Brian.
Thanks Brian for taking the time with that expansive list - great info - really appreciated!

So this 'side project' has moved forward slightly since my original posing. I've now obtained a further three Intermountain AAR 1936 40ft Box car kits, which should be delivered this week. Gaugemaster will be contacted this week for an order of kadee couplers (and a few heljan gears).

I'm going to no doubt invest in a bit of modellers licence, and one of the box cars will be repainted in the Black SP 'Overnight' service, while the others will probably be more common 1936-45 scheme. Replacement trucks for all models will be investigated in due course....

Thanks again for everyones help so far - testament to a great forum.

Cheers,

Stephen

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Hi Stephen,

I don`t know which Atlas cars your after but i have the following and all are very good well detailed models,though apart from the B&O wagon top boxcar (ex-Weaver models) they do have compromises. ie; the the grabs are slightly thicker and the truck side frames are slightly wider as there also aimed at the three rail market and need to accomodate the cookie cutter wheel set`s and lobbster claw couplers...!!!
P1010631.JPG
This is the USRA (United States Railroad Administration) single sheathed 40ft with fish belly underframe.
P1010630.JPG
next up a USRA double sheathed boxcar again with fish belly underframe. This one has been re-equiped with some older Athearn O scale plastic trucks/metal wheels and kadees.
Both of these cars were built in their thousands so you won`t be short of roads......

P1010633.JPG
This a X29 boxcar a signature Pennsy car the C20th, and their own version of the 1923 ARA (American Railroad Association) design.Again thousands of the them were built.
P1010632.JPG
The final car is a B&O wagon top boxcar.
This an M-53 class car ,not to be confused with earlier wagon tops which were re-built from double sheathed boxcars and classified as M-15`s. (the same as the cars that they were originally) the M15`s also have a recessed side sill too making them easier to spot.
Anyhow this was one of the last cars that Weaver models made before Atlas aquired it and compared to other Atlas offering`s is a really nice car as it has scale details and a full center sill too. (see below)
P1010636.JPG
As noted above this is the Wagon Top boxcar which features a full center sill,unlike the Atlas models.So replacement brass trucks (if wanted) would be no problem....just a straight swap.
P1010635.JPG
Now then the Atlas cars as mentioned earlier are built with compromises so the 3 railers can use them and one of these compromises is that the center sill`s don`t run the full the length of the car so 3 rail trucks/couplers can be accomodated.So if your wanting to replace the trucks with brass ones you`ll either need to make some packers or add/make center sill exstention`s,as i say by and large they are very nice cars.

Hope this help`s too. :)

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Stephen

Your thread and concept are causing cogs to turn in my brain! Unfortunately I am probably never going to own any Scale O models as I already have a stash of HO gauge locos and rolling stock and over here there is no great demand for them to sell second hand. I handled my Broadway Limited GS4 Daylight today and had forgotten just how small HO is! But the variety of rolling stock (some items of which cost just a few dollars new back in the 1980s) does mean long trains are possible, assuming one has room to run them! I once owned two GS4s, an early Japanese Balboa and the much later Chinese (I think) Broadway Limited. The Balboa had much less detail but your could probably drive a pickup truck over it! It was, unfortunately, lost in transit to have DCC fitted in Calgary.

As Mickoo has noted, the detail of brass models from Japan, South Korea and now China is variable and prices do tend to reflect that. The Consolidation he has linked to is a good looking model but compared to photographs of the C8 class there are quite a few details missing. These details are never consistent, however, and tenders came in many designs and capacities, so if you have photos of a particular loco at the time you are modelling it is possible to mix and match. Many 2-8-0s lasted from around 1906 until the end of steam in the early 1950s, so they are an ideal one loco to fit any time period plan.

For a shunting plank, had you thought of an S class switcher? The SP owned a total of 464, and those with a sloping rear to their tender (for better visibility) really look the part. Brass models are relatively common of these small locos and, hopefully, not that expensive.

Good luck, Paul

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Hi Stephen,

I don`t know which Atlas cars your after but i have the following and all are very good well detailed models,though apart from the B&O wagon top boxcar (ex-Weaver models) they do have compromises. ie; the the grabs are slightly thicker and the truck side frames are slightly wider as there also aimed at the three rail market and need to accomodate the cookie cutter wheel set`s and lobbster claw couplers...!!!
View attachment 165861
This is the USRA (United States Railroad Administration) single sheathed 40ft with fish belly underframe.

Now then the Atlas cars as mentioned earlier are built with compromises so the 3 railers can use them and one of these compromises is that the center sill`s don`t run the full the length of the car so 3 rail trucks/couplers can be accomodated.So if your wanting to replace the trucks with brass ones you`ll either need to make some packers or add/make center sill exstention`s,as i say by and large they are very nice cars.

Hope this help`s too. :)

Thanks for taking the time to post those photos Brian, that single sheathed 40ft Box car has certainly got my intention, so I'll be keeping an eye out for one of those on evil bay.

I take it the trucks on the single sheathed 40ft Box car are as supplied?

Cheers,

Stephen

Last edited:

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Stephen

Your thread and concept are causing cogs to turn in my brain! Unfortunately I am probably never going to own any Scale O models as I already have a stash of HO gauge locos and rolling stock and over here there is no great demand for them to sell second hand. I handled my Broadway Limited GS4 Daylight today and had forgotten just how small HO is! But the variety of rolling stock (some items of which cost just a few dollars new back in the 1980s) does mean long trains are possible, assuming one has room to run them! I once owned two GS4s, an early Japanese Balboa and the much later Chinese (I think) Broadway Limited. The Balboa had much less detail but your could probably drive a pickup truck over it! It was, unfortunately, lost in transit to have DCC fitted in Calgary.

As Mickoo has noted, the detail of brass models from Japan, South Korea and now China is variable and prices do tend to reflect that. The Consolidation he has linked to is a good looking model but compared to photographs of the C8 class there are quite a few details missing. These details are never consistent, however, and tenders came in many designs and capacities, so if you have photos of a particular loco at the time you are modelling it is possible to mix and match. Many 2-8-0s lasted from around 1906 until the end of steam in the early 1950s, so they are an ideal one loco to fit any time period plan.

For a shunting plank, had you thought of an S class switcher? The SP owned a total of 464, and those with a sloping rear to their tender (for better visibility) really look the part. Brass models are relatively common of these small locos and, hopefully, not that expensive.

Good luck, Paul

Hi Paul,

I’ve got a small amount of SP HO locos coaches, but alas it is mainly spectrum, waltzers and athearn, so it will probably all be sold even though there isn’t a huge market for it in the UK. Luckily enough I purchased most of it fairly cheap, so looking on EBay previous sales I should be able to make a bit of a profit. Like my remaining OO gauge items, I’m never going to do anything with them, so hopefully someone else can enjoy them in due course.

Where modellers licence is coming into the fore is that I doubt I’ll get a specific layout built for this ‘side project’, iT will however get an outing on my planned UK o gauge layout which will have a strong S&D theme (I’m chairman of the S&DRHT at Midsomer Norton) which is my main modelling interest.

The Glacier Park 2-8-0s really have caught my attention, but that really is step into a direction I’d never comtemplated before!

cheers,

Stephen

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Thanks for taking the time to post those photos Brian, that single sheathed 40ft Box car has certainly got my intention, so I'll be keeping an eye out for one of those on evil bay.

I take it the trucks on the single sheathed 40ft Box car are as supplied?

Cheers,

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

Yes those are the trucks as supplied, as are the ones under the wagon top and X-29.

Brian.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Even the Atlas Trainman cars can be reworked.

This is a SSW insulated car I've been reworking from this..... (and this livery did exist for a very short period).

SSW insulated 01.jpg

To this (the mixed height ladders are correct for the period I'm modelling and still needs finishing with the handbrake and underframe detail).

SSW insulated 18.jpg

SSW insulated 19.jpg

Using Archer rivet decals and Chooch Ultra Scale II detail parts (the latter were acquired by Walthers - buildings are available but the detail parts are not). Decals are a mixture of Protocraft, Microscale and Champ.

SSW insulated 11.jpg

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Using Archer rivet decals and Chooch Ultra Scale II detail parts (the latter were acquired by Walthers - buildings are available but the detail parts are not). Decals are a mixture of Protocraft, Microscale and Champ.

Thanks for the reply Dave. How did you find the Protocraft decals to work with? I've ordered some SP versions, and my initial plan is to re-paint one of the box cars into the 'classic' SP overnight black livery. I think I'm going to swerve adding the extra rivets, but just get the car built, primed then painted black.

Cheers,

stephen

Stephen

Western Thunderer
There seems to be plenty of threads In forums detailing which Halfords car paints align to UK prototype colours, built can’t find anything with regard to which Halfords paint would be most suited for a ‘standard’ us box car red/oxide - does anyone have any thoughts?

it is interesting to note that there does seem to be two different box car ‘brown/oxide’ colours for SP cars, which I’m guessing came with a change of era?

Cheers,

Stephen

Overseer

Western Thunderer
There seems to be plenty of threads In forums detailing which Halfords car paints align to UK prototype colours, built can’t find anything with regard to which Halfords paint would be most suited for a ‘standard’ us box car red/oxide - does anyone have any thoughts?

it is interesting to note that there does seem to be two different box car ‘brown/oxide’ colours for SP cars, which I’m guessing came with a change of era?

Cheers,

Stephen
I can't help with matching Halfords colours. I haven't noticed many cars painted oxide brown or boxcar red over the last few decades so it may not be the best place to look. Tru-Color Paint have a UK distributor, Mech Models, who seem to stock most of the Tru-Color range on their website https://mech-models.com/shop/ols/categories/trucolor-paint . I have not tried them but it would seem to be an easy solution. For more variety, Accurail apparently mix all their many shades of boxcar red, brown etc for their HO kits from just one dark green and one bright red paint so it could be worth some experimentation.

The Protocraft decals are very nice to use, based on one boxcar decorated with their decals.
cpbox222226.jpg

Stephen

Western Thunderer
I can't help with matching Halfords colours. I haven't noticed many cars painted oxide brown or boxcar red over the last few decades so it may not be the best place to look. Tru-Color Paint have a UK distributor, Mech Models, who seem to stock most of the Tru-Color range on their website https://mech-models.com/shop/ols/categories/trucolor-paint . I have not tried them but it would seem to be an easy solution. For more variety, Accurail apparently mix all their many shades of boxcar red, brown etc for their HO kits from just one dark green and one bright red paint so it could be worth some experimentation.

The Protocraft decals are very nice to use, based on one boxcar decorated with their decals.
View attachment 166323
Many Thanks for the info - I do like that CP box car. My old man worked for the shipping side of CP in the '90's so have a soft spot for Canadian railways. Out of interest what make is the box car in question?

I was pretty suprised to see that there are two car colours that are almost identical to BR Fright Grey and Bauxite colours - can't imagine anyone would knowingly purchase a BR Bauxite colour car.....but then my grandfather did have a brown Austin Maxi which was just......well awful!

Due to a general lack of time, I'm always looking for quick wins, and despite having invested in a decent airbrush/compressor previously, if I can get an off-the-shelf rattle can of identical paint, I'll try that in the first instance.....but I reckon an order of Tru-color paint will be made in due course.

Cheers,

Stephen

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Out of interest what make is the box car in question?
It is a Protocraft brass boxcar, which is very nice. The boxcar to the right is an Atlas twin door which is not quite right for any CPR boxcars but doesn't look bad, good decoration and a bit of work will improve it.

Stephen

Western Thunderer

View attachment 165898
Hi Dave, which set of archer rivet decals did you use? I think I might have been too hasty in my decision to not apply them to one of my box cars. Having a look at a few online tutorials, they seem to be easier to use than I had previously thought, so I’m intending on giving them a go. The SP ‘overland‘ box cars were by all accounts distinguished by a second row of rivets on each side panel, so if I’m going to the trouble of repainting a box car, I might as well push for as close as possible detail wise.
cheers,

Stephen

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I'll have to check which Archer rivet set I used when I get home at the end of the week as I'm currently working away.

The trick with these is to wet them enough to allow the decal to slide off the backing sheet onto the model as the carrier film is very thin.

I never soak decals in saucers of water anymore. Instead I place the decal on the model close to where I want the decal to be and apply a dilute solution of Microset with a small paint brush (which may take several applications) until the decal is ready to slide.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Well this thread rattled some old memories, back in the mid to late 70's and 80's I had a subscription to Model railroader eventually getting ten years worth leather bound, which about 5 years ago I gave away those bound volumes. But this thread triggered a kit I purchased sometime in the late 70's by a company called The All Nation Line for the princely sum of $16.90

IMG_4651x1024.jpg
I did start putting it together but it has been on shelves and in drawers at least for the last 40 years.

IMG_4656x1024.jpg

IMG_4650x1024.jpg

IMG_4654x1024.jpg

IMG_4653x1024.jpg

IMG_4652x1024.jpg

I cannot remember what happened to the arch bar trucks I probably used them for something else. so if anybody on this side of the pond is interested they can have it for the cost of postage.

Michael

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Well this thread rattled some old memories, back in the mid to late 70's and 80's I had a subscription to Model railroader eventually getting ten years worth leather bound, which about 5 years ago I gave away those bound volumes. But this thread triggered a kit I purchased sometime in the late 70's by a company called The All Nation Line for the princely sum of $16.9

I cannot remember what happened to the arch bar trucks I probably used them for something else. so if anybody on this side of the pond is interested they can have it for the cost of postage.

Michael
that’s an extremely generous gesture Michael, and I hope someone takes you up on the offer. Alas I will gracefully decline for fear of my ‘side project’ escalating to levels beyond my current time constraints.
cheers,
Stephen

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
A slightly different track on buying American trains. I have been looking on eBay at various offerings with delivery to the U.K. Postage at international rates cannot be questioned but many sellers as well as model train companies like BLI have a fixed rate arrangement with Pitney Bowes where you pay up front for potential import duties and VAT. As an example I am watching an item with a current bid of $108.50 plus $36.32 postage plus $34.54 estimate for their Global Shipping Programme, to be confirmed at checkout.

Has anyone experience of this procedure? I decided to post it on Stephen’s thread and I hope that is OK.

The irony is we are competing with domestic buyers who can afford a higher bid. If the item were to be available in the U.K. then what sort of price can we expect? No demand, lower, I suppose.

I have only ever bought books from the USA though Amazon did sell me some tools without the extra cost and I was not charged duty or VAT on delivery.

Last edited:

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul

I have used this a couple of times, the stuff does eventually get here without you having to pay anything else, but it isn't any cheaper than sending by courier and paying when it gets here, and it certainly didn't arrive any faster.

Richard