Alex's 2mm models.

Discussion in '2mm Lounge' started by Alex Duckworth, 3 January 2013.

1. adrian

adrian Flying Squad

Seriously - 2mm?:bowdown: That is simply stunning, everything is in proportion and very nicely weathered. I would've said 4mm at least. So the light at the front is that a surface mount LED or similar?

Alex Duckworth likes this.
  2. iak63

iak63 Western Thunderer

That is one tasty beasty.
    What motor is in it please Alex.
    Hmmmmm...

3. Pugsley

Pugsley Western Thunderer

Wow, I never cease to be impressed by some of the models produced in 2FS.

4. Steph Dale

Steph Dale Western Thunderer

That loco is superb, and full credit to that nice Mr Edge for producing the etches in 2mm. What a star. He's done the odd test etch for me in 7mm too...
    Steph

5. Alex Duckworth

Alex Duckworth Active Member

Thank you both. The lights are 0.8mm surface mount LED's, controlled directionally by a tiny CT Electronik decoder.
    The twin Nigel Lawton 8 X 12mm minimotors drive a common ballraced layshaft that drives the geared centre axle via a worm, leaving the cab clear. The etches were superb and fitted together faultlessly. Photos below.
    DSCN2767.jpg DSCN2769.jpg

Rob Pulham, Pugsley, iak63 and 6 others like this.
  6. iak63

iak63 Western Thunderer

Thanks Alex
    That chassis is a bit tasty too.
    Marvellous stuff.

7. Neil

Neil Western Thunderer

Could I ask why the two motors? Would the answer be somewhere on the fun, challenging, because I can, axis or is there something deeply practical driving the choice?

8. Alex Duckworth

Mostly on the "because I can" fun axis, but (saving a shred of dignity by being practical) with the added reason that as these minimotors don't have huge torque I thought that as they would be unsynchronised they might nudge each other past a possible stall, as well as making weight distribution easy. Of course, to my P4 colleagues I just say "prototype fidelity, obviously".

Alex.

9. JimG

JimG Western Thunderer

I thought that would have been your intention with the poles of the motors being offset to provide a smoother torque output - sounds good enough for an MRJ article. :)

Jim.

10. Jordan

Jordan Mid-Western Thunderer

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I'm just off for a good cry :( ...and possibly take up knitting.... :oops:
    Railway modelling? I don't think I know anything about it......

11. Alex Duckworth

Thank you all for the kind comments, and I deeply regret the anguish that I seem to have caused to poor Jordan. (although I love the little green guys in his post). I have lately felt a return of my enthusiasm for my 4mm WW1 WDLR
    project so I'm probably going to concentrate on the Narrow Gauge for a while now, or at least until I feel up to building and scribing Oxspring Viaduct from card and Pollyfilla.

Alex.

12. Jordan

Ah, good chap!! Load up that Modelling Scattergun :thumbs:

Stand back, everyone.....

13. Neil

Neil Western Thunderer

I've seen Alex's WW1 narrow gauge models in NG&IRMR and they're every bit as accomplished as his 2mm models. Perhaps he could be persuaded to share them here too. (hint)

14. Alex Duckworth

Thank you Neil - I'll take this chance to say that one of my major model railwaying inspirations is Shell Island, perfect atmosphere. I'd be pleased to post some of my narrow gauge work, my only question is where do I put it? Leaving aside the obvious (and painful) answer, should it go in Area 51?

15. Neil

Neil Western Thunderer

Thank you Alex. I post all my off beat stuff in Area 51; it seems to be the best bet when one's models don't easily fit into any of the standard headings.

16. Jordan

Yep - Area 51 is the place :thumbs:

17. Alex Duckworth

Just finished this 2mmFS conversion using one of Nigel Hunt's etches, Association wheels and substitute Farish bearings.

Alex.

P1060282.JPG

P A D, unklian, micknich2003 and 10 others like this.
  18. 40126

40126 Western Thunderer

Hi Alex :thumbs:

Can you post some pics of the layout please ?.

Steve :cool:

19. Alex Duckworth

Hello Steve,

Photo below - It's my 2mm test track, one turnout and a couple of 24" curves to show up any running problems plus it's useful for photos.

Alex
    DSCN2743.JPG

40126, Dog Star and adrian like this.
  20. 40126

40126 Western Thunderer

Thankyou Alex.

Steve :cool: