Prototype All in a days work

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
185’s are nice to work though from a guards point of view we have are own cab door which is great in busy services just like 175’s I enjoyed working them to but I miss working 158’s they are really nice.

The chances are our paths may have crossed as I do have to commute between my employer's Leeds and Liverpool offices. However I usually try and arrange for the direct Liverpool service which usually consists of the bi-mode EMU/DMU with the switchover at Man Vic. Unlike LNER bi-mode Azumas which switchover on the move and first noticed this when travelling on the Saturday Skipton-KX service. This Saturday service doesn't reverse in Leeds like the MkIV consist Mon-Fri Skipton-KX service.

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Just caught up with your thread, Paul. Nice for an old timer like me to get up to date on all this new stuff (!?!). Great pictures and information which is very much enjoyed, thank you.

Roger.
Thanks Roger glad your enjoying it, I’ll get some photos from today up shortly

Paul

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
The chances are our paths may have crossed as I do have to commute between my employer's Leeds and Liverpool offices. However I usually try and arrange for the direct Liverpool service which usually consists of the bi-mode EMU/DMU with the switchover at Man Vic. Unlike LNER bi-mode Azumas which switchover on the move and first noticed this when travelling on the Saturday Skipton-KX service. This Saturday service doesn't reverse in Leeds like the MkIV consist Mon-Fri Skipton-KX service.
They are our 802’s they are nice units to work with big spacious cabs, we’ve started using them on Newcastle to Piccadilly services which stop at some of the smaller stations after Huddersfield which is a bit crazy due to the shirt platform lengths. I’ll try and find some in cab shots if not I’ll take some next time I work one.

I’m currently on a six car 185 (2x3 car unit) and here’s what their cabs are like.
8CBFB935-8E25-4709-91B5-9BB013F6E0F7.jpeg
4F7BA832-6A0E-470C-923E-804060C14EAC.jpeg
B6F156F8-B4D9-4220-9659-B5E50261D08B.jpeg8BF5F1F2-9F54-48DA-BC38-9E334FB08711.jpeg
Paul

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I presume your 802 units operate under the wires from Newcastle to York then diesel from York to Manchester Victoria then under the wires again from Manchester to Liverpool.

Mind you the York-Leeds-Manchester section is a serious gap which requires electrification.

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
I presume your 802 units operate under the wires from Newcastle to York then diesel from York to Manchester Victoria then under the wires again from Manchester to Liverpool.

Mind you the York-Leeds-Manchester section is a serious gap which requires electrification.
That’s right we go electric to Man Vic then diesel to York, they’re currently upgrading the Transpennine route from Manchester to York putting in the ohle, obviously Leeds already has the wires up, but the portals and gantries have been getting installed and Huddersfield is getting a station upgrade to. There is a lot of weekend upgrade work going on with diversions via Calder valley as they are working on the junction at Stalybridge this weekend I’m led to believe.

Paul

simond

Western Thunderer
It's the usual orange line (which, as I understand it, means something like: do not proceed above this point, risk of contact with the OHLE) extended down to the nose.

Adam
Thanks Adam,

are you sure?

It really looks like an additional pipe, sort-of impromptu, it looks like it comes out of a vent slot, runs over the door tucked in the gutter, then hooked under something, then back up onto the bonnet, and…

1674864737590.jpeg

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Thanks Adam,

are you sure?

It really looks like an additional pipe, sort-of impromptu, it looks like it comes out of a vent slot, runs over the door tucked in the gutter, then hooked under something, then back up onto the bonnet, and…

View attachment 179051
It's just the cant rail stripe that all modern stock have that basically means if you go above it you are in danger of electrocution when over head lines are present.

Paul

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Thanks Adam,

are you sure?

View attachment 179051
As others have said, it's an orange pin stripe lining (check the 37 pictures from earlier to see it closer) as a OHLE warning. Check the 60 and 57 a few posts back, they all have it too.

Reactions: AJC

Oban27

Hi,

the cab of the 802 looks complex yet simple at the same time! Seems to be laid out in a logical order. What's like as an environment to work in?

Roja

Matt.S.

Western Thunderer
Hi,

the cab of the 802 looks complex yet simple at the same time! Seems to be laid out in a logical order. What's like as an environment to work in?

Roja
I worked on IEP commissioning - the GBRF drivers loved them, everythig is set on it's side or grouped eg door controls, gen set and pan controls.

The build quality was very average, tools in cabinets, components wrongly wired. Heaps of GU problems and cab door seals that didn't hold air.

Oban27

Hi,

Seems to a bit of a common issue with railway stock nowadays. Good design but manufacture issues or good manufacture with design issues! Maybe one day both will be good, but I won't be holding my breath!

Roja

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Hi,

Roja
As a guard there’s plenty of room to eat your butties ;) there’s cctv which is great but the cabs can be a bit chilly at sometimes.

Paul

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Unfortunately they haven’t discovered my true potential and I’m still relegated to the back of the train ;) don’t get me wrong I want to go driving but I love my job and I love chatting to the passengers, when they're not kicking off because we haven’t ran a train in the last five hours!!

185’s are nice to work though from a guards point of view we have are own cab door which is great in busy services just like 175’s I enjoyed working them to but I miss working 158’s they are really nice.

Paul
Thanks for posting these photos Paul.

I find just as much interest In today’s railways as ever l did in steam and l well remember the final few years in the run up to steam ending in 1968. But things move on, and today’s freight scene l find particularly fascinating. As long as we’re talking steel flanges on steel rails, it’s interesting. Never stop looking over the fence!

DJP