ALSRM Reading Show

28ten

Guv'nor
lancer1027 said:
Not for me either. Bit too far for the little bits i need
I think that because there are so many trade shows, it becomes a matter of balancing the bits needed against the cost of getting there etc. For me a couple of shows a year is enough, Telford and Reading (in December, but I may replace this show with Bristol in January).

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Rather far for me too, TBH... and I'm being allowed out to play a couple of weeks later, but it's an all-Dark Side-outline show, so I won't mention it again... (I mentioned it once before but I think I got away with it... ;) ) :p :lol:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
I'm sure i've just heard a whisper about the F-word :lol: Please can everyone be quiet so that if i hear it again i can give out the 1000 lines to the culprit :thumbs: :lol:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
lancer1027 said:
Please can everyone be quiet ...
Seems like they are...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=125&start=0

:rolleyes: :lol:

So just for that, cop this... (just a whispered pic, though... ;) )

AtlasFP7Avatar.jpg

tongue0011.gif

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
And............. :laugh:

Well, I had a good time at the show, but was unable to come away with my intended purchase (a Parkwood "Service Cradle"). I wanted the solid wood version, but they only had plywood ones in stock. :( I didn't come away empty handed though - I spent the princely sum of ?1.15 on two lengths of Plastruct tubing.....

Had a good chat with Peter Sylvester of the Loco Clinic team. He's currently batch building six Castles (well the chassis' for them - someone else is doing the upper works) and he showed me what comes with the JLTRT Super Detail Kit, as well as some rather tasty castings of his own. :drool: :drool:
I think I may have to put some more money in the JLTRT coffers again soon..... :lol:
Speaking of which, it looks like we won't be seeing the Warship before next Easter, but at least it gives people a little time to save up! ;)

Also had a lengthy chat with Chris Hillier and he said he's definitely interested in doing the inside frame Siphon G (with the sliding vents), unless someone beats him to it. :thumbs:

I had to leave 2 hours before chucking out time, as I lost one of the tiny screws from the frames of my glasses and the lens fell out...!
It wasn't much fun trying to look at stuff close-up after that, but thankfully, I'd already seen everyting I wanted to. As luck would have it, I had a spare set of specs at home, which enables me to be here typing this report, but the broken pair will have to go into the opticians next week for repair!

Regards

Dan

Simon

Flying Squad
Did you notice John Dale building up the first etches for his 1/32 Gauge 1 "starter kit" for the Ruston 48DS?

Shameless plug mode

This will be available shortly, about ?85.00 for etch and castings, wheels, motor and gears to be supplied by purchaser. David White of Slaters has agreed to make suitable wheels for the kit.

John is a talented kit designer with a good eye for what something should look like, which should be this - the one on the left, not the Pines Express :p

[attachment=0:1r7e6dks]Ruston.jpg[/attachment:1r7e6dks]

The picture shows Bitton on the MR line between Bath and Bristol in early preservation days, circa 1974. The Ruston used to work at Dickinson's paper works at Keynsham on the nearby WR mainline.

Apologies for slight hijack, I wish I could have made it to Reading - perhaps next year.

Attachments

• Ruston.jpg
    Ruston.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 85
  • Ruston.jpg
    Ruston.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 85

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
lancer1027 said:
Hi Dan, glad you had a good day at Reading. Was the show busy?.

Hi Rob - Yes, the show was pretty busy, but not uncomfortably so. I saw Buckjumper there at one point, but he was on his phone so we just raised eyebrows and waved to each other and I didn't see him again after that. There were 3 JLTRT Westerns to be seen - one in maroon (syp), one in green (syp) and one in rail blue (fye). I think I might have to do a bit more to mine today! :)

Speaking of JLTRT, there was a made-up "Fruit D" on their stand and it did look rather nice. The underframe channel looked much finer than that on their BR vans and given that these lasted in BR blue days, I can feel a purchase coming on at some point. :thumbs:

Simon said:
Did you notice John Dale building up the first etches for his 1/32 Gauge 1 "starter kit" for the Ruston 48DS?

Hi Simon - I think I may have noticed someone putting some etches together, but as they were obviously much bigger than 7mm, I didn't stop for a good look. :oops: Perhaps if my glasses hadn't self-destructed, I might have gone back for a look later, after I'd seen all the 7mm stuff? :lol:

Regards

Dan

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Dan Randall said:
Hi Rob - Yes, the show was pretty busy, but not uncomfortable so. I saw Buckjumper there at one point, but he was on his phone so we just raised eyebrows and waved to each other and I didn't see him again after that.

Was preparing to leave when Dan and I passed like ships in the night, having bought about 60% of what was on my shopping list. Apart from the usual sundries from Squires and castings from Laurie Griffin, I also put an order for one of Laurie's next batches of Kirtley 0-4-4 Back Tanks to go with the kit I have here so that I can build one of each of the 690and 780 classes. Also picked up another Roxey GWR Metro coach (3rd) and a Mercian Models Midland Clayton City Bk3rd.

Picked up a flux pen applicator from CPL; I've been meaning to do so for quite a while but kept forgetting. The phosphoric acid flux attacks the metal ferrules on the brushes I usually use, and I tend to get through them like billy-o. The applicator pen is designed to withstand strong acids, so will report back on how well it works and copes in due course. The pen is made in Japan with the attendant humorous translation - some of it very much in the vein of Yoda: "Thin it may be at the beginning but becomes dense gradually". Then there are such gems as "Be careful for fire as it is inflammable" to "If deposited to the working clothes. remove stain well" [sic] and the wonderful "Don't use it to a human body".

Still, it's better than my Japanese which is limited to the chorus of Queen's Teo Torriate :D

28ten

Guv'nor
I have been using one of the flux pens for the last 18 months, its very handy and it saves the bottle being knocked over :headbang:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
[quote=""Phill Dyson"":1scrali8]Has anyone tried water based flux ?
Cheers Phill
Yes, I use it all the time :D much easier to clean up afterwards :thumbs:[/quote:1scrali8]
Thanks Cynric, I will give it a go :thumbs:
Phill :wave: