Amanda's Workshop: Scratchbuilding Toward A Layout

WM183

Western Thunderer
Hello all.

A different project has reared its head, and I think it will be a fun one. Once upon a time in western Pennsylvania and southwestern New York there was a cash-strapped mountain railroad named the Pittsburg (sic) Shawmut and Northern, also known as the PS&N or the Shawmut. This railway ran through the rugged country of the Appalachian mountains, connecting coal mines in Pennsylvania with markets in New York, but managed to avoid anything that could remotely be considered a large town. However, they did run very unique equipment; very distinct wooden hopper cars long after most roads switched to steel cars, and a eclectic collection of locomotives that finally gave way to a sort-of standardized stable of 2-8-0s, with which the road ran until its eventual closure in 1947.

While I wait for some bits and pieces for the PRR engine I mentioned above (And the PRR and the Erie - two larger roads I love - did interchange with the Shawmut, so related!) I would like to try the challenge of one of PS&N's engines. However, thus far I have been utterly unable to find more than very basic information about these engines, known as the H3 and H4 class 2-8-0s, and their distinct Vanderbilt tenders. I own what I believe are the only two books ever published on the Shawmut with anything that could remotely be considered "Technical" information and they have some very very basic dimensional information. The site Steamlocomotive.com has some helpful data, and has helped fill in some blanks.

These were very big-boilered, small-wheeled engines, designed for a mountaingoing railroad with less than perfect trackwork. The drivers are a mere 51 inches in diameter, with a fat boiler measuring 79 inches at the first ring and a smokebox 80 inches in diameter, and a rather long tube length of 14'9"; they look like massive engines with tiny, short-wheelbase undergubbins... and I love them. For those interested, the fixed wheelbase is 14'6", and the spacing between the wheels is 4'8", 4'10", and 5' with the leading wheel 9' 6" ahead of the lead driver.

A few details I have yet to conclude are the height of the boiler centerline above the rail and the length of the smokebox. I do have a GA drawing for the Shawmut's massive "Curve Straightener" 2-10-2, but how useful that is is anyone's guess. The frames are very standard bar frames for the time, so I expect the only challenge with these to be actually figuring out the overall length, and the tender is very likely identical to that used by the B&O behind armies of their engines, a rather standard Baldwin product.

PSN no 60.jpgShawmut drawins.jpg

Last edited:

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi Amanda
Have you tried , steamlocomotive.com
There is information for the Pittsburg, Shawmut & Northern 2-8-0 consolidation locomotives there that perhaps might help.
David.

WM183

Western Thunderer
Hi Amanda
Have you tried , steamlocomotive.com
There is information for the Pittsburg, Shawmut & Northern 2-8-0 consolidation locomotives there that perhaps might help.
David.
I have! I mentioned them in my post above. They had some very helpful dimensional data to help me narrow down the shape of bits.

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi Amanda read your post again and seen it,
Sorry the way my eyes are now when I read I tend to miss not just the odd word but compleat lines now,
I don’t like it but that’s the way it is.
The papers ( 1872 to 1960 ) that belonged to the Pittsburg , Shawmut & Northern Railroad Company are
held in the , Division of rare and Manuscript Collections at the Cornell University Library,
for instance there is information In Box 1 volume 2 of Engines 50 to 67 and others, which covers the one you have in the photo, maybe this is a avenue you could explore who knows what information they have it could shed some light on what you need, nothing ventured nothing gained .
David.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Hi Amanda,

If the drawing in the book is accurate, then scanning it and putting it into a CAD package and resizing it to match the known wheel diameter should give you the information. You can at least double check the linear dimensions against those of the drawing.

WM183

Western Thunderer
I finally got the bits for the 1366 tank, and am in the home stretch. The last sticky bit is filling in the rear bunker corners where odd GWR design makes etches - particularly ones over 30 years old - a bit lacking in depicting them. Today I sat down, modified the chimney from Springside so it would fit the flat topped boiler, cleaned up the safety valve housing, and made the tank vents from some brass bits. I just need to make the bell and bracket for the fireman's side of the engine and the shield that goes behind the safety valves, I think. There's some bits on top of the firebox just ahead of the cab too, that look sort of like whistles and sort of not. I will have to make those up also. Once those parts are done, it's paint time!!!

I know by the BR period the chimney caps were not shiny copper anymore... i may break that rule though.

1366 boiler top.jpg

WM183

Western Thunderer
Does anyone have photos of no 1366 itself? Severn Mill Nameplates sent me no 1366 (I had requested 1370, but don't mind) and as 1366 wasn't one of the Weymouth locos, I cannot seem to find a photo of it save a very early builder's photo. I just wondered if it acquired the fireman's side tank support mounted bell, or driver's side front step, as the weymouth engines did?

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Amanda,

Have you seen the Weymouth Harbour Tramway book by Gerry Beale? I have a copy somewhere, but at the moment I can't lay my hands on it to check what photos and locos worked the line.

AJC

Western Thunderer
I think 1366 spent most of its time at Swindon, didn’t it? Some pictures here:

Adam

WM183

Western Thunderer
Amanda,

Have you seen the Weymouth Harbour Tramway book by Gerry Beale? I have a copy somewhere, but at the moment I can't lay my hands on it to check what photos and locos worked the line.
Ive not purchased a copy of it yet. I do hope to. I will likely just freelance this layout a teeny bit though, "somewhere in a coastal town".

WM183

Western Thunderer
The pair of whistles and the handrail knobs have been ordered from Roxy mouldings. Those are officially the last parts needed for the 1366 build. Decals, primer, and paint are on hand. I hope I can show a final picture of a completed model soon, and perhaps a video of it running!
I will likely retain this engine, though it is likely I will sell off the other panniers and stock I have in 0. I have enough to do with 2mm (god willing my eyes can hack it) and the 1/48 US stuff, though I must admit ScaleSeven pre-grouping L&Y appeals....

WM183

Western Thunderer
I tend to have several models in process at any one time, so while I am waiting for bits for one, or trying to solve a problem, or simply want to do something else, I can work on another. Yesterday and today saw me revisiting our first project of this thread, a New York Central truss rod boxcar from the early 1900s. NYC built several thousand of these, and within a scant few years, many began to take on very different appearances, and so on. I chose to model one that has had a few repairs and alterations done, circa 1920-1925 or so, the era I plan to model in the US. Thus, the wooden roof has been replaced by a simple sheet metal one, and the door has been hung to slide to the right, a much more common arrangement in the US, instead of the original left-sliding door. I also made up the T-nut type apparatus that I use to hold the floor, body, and coupler together.

I am now to the point where I must make the queen posts, and frankly... I'm stumped. They're remarkably complicated bits, and they're sure not easy to make. I can order some from Protocraft, but that's 1) slow and 2) expensive. Anyone have any ideas?

Boxcar Floor Nut 1.jpgBoxcar Floor Nut 2.jpgTruss Rod Box.png