7mm American O scale Southern Pacific Motive Power and Rolling Stock

Stephen

Western Thunderer
It's been a long time since the last update, and in all honesty there hasn't been a huge amount of progress on any of the projects mainly due to the day job. However I find myself with time on my hands currently due to be stuck in a hotel in Orlando with my flight home today cancelled and rescheduled to tomorrow.....via Manchester!

Been a bit of a strange holiday, seeing as last week, it was stupidly warm - not what you'd usually get in Florida this time of year. Alas there hasn't been any 1:1 railroading (apart from the Disney 3ft Railroad), but I did managed to organise a visit to the HO layout of the Central Florida Railroad Modelers (Central Florida Railroad Modelers ). Wasn't to busy on my visit, but an impressive layout and really welcoming club members who took me through their whole operation.

IMG_5696.JPG

IMG_5697.JPG

IMG_5699.JPG

IMG_5700.JPG

The one nugget of O scale I have had during this trip was the delivery of this loco to my hotel from a chap in California:

IMG_5765.JPG

The loco in question is a Car Works Limited 'Sacramento Northern' Steeple Cab electric loco. It is another example of how this 'side project' of American O scale has manifested into the main interest. Whilst I never envisaged going down the route of having anything of this nature, seeing a few models of Pacific Electric and other California interurban cars/electric locos, I really fancied getting hold of one, so here we are.

There is also a tenuous link that I saw similar locomotives working on the Hershey Railway in Cuba in previous visits over twenty years ago, so I've always had an interest in these type/styles of locos.

IMG_5681 2.JPG

The photos don't do the model justice - it really is cracking, so looking forward to getting home and testing it with a short consist of box cars.

I'm already on the lookout for a suitable caboose to go with it, and potentially a SN box car, which it seems various kits are available for including one by San Juan.

It does mean that any potential future layout will now need to have OLE added to a section of it, which could prove interesting, but that's a problem for five years time!

Cheers,

Stephen