An early LNWR four plank, in G3

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
I've made a start on an early LNWR four plank open wagon. This is one of the LNWR wagons in D K Clarke's Railway Machinery. My intention had been to model an East Counties Railway branch line, but the complete lack of ECR goods rolling stock drawings forced me to make it a joint ECR/LNWR line. Laser cut ply for the body, 3D printed underframe, and Williams Models buffers. I had hoped to use Mike's sprung W irons and axleboxes, as I prefer springing in G3, but they wouldn't fit.

20211216_121132.jpg 20211218_123241.jpg 20211218_125851.jpg

Mike W

Western Thunderer
What was the reason for home made wheels Geoff? Different size to those available commercially, or just more delicate and less chunky?

Mike

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
What was the reason for home made wheels Geoff?
It was mainly to have something finer, more like those in the drawings. They have thinner tyres than Slaters, and are only 5mm wide. the slaters wheels can be refined, but I have to pay someone else to do that. I'm not sure how resilient they will be, but David Viewing has done the same, and seems to get quite a lot of mileage out of them.

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
Two photos of the LNWR 'Henson' four plank wagon, which is nearly complete. All the black parts except the buffers were 3D printed from my artwork. The buffers are the Manning Wardle ones from Williams Models, which I think do look the part. The drawings show each wagon having what looks like a cast plate with the wagon number. I need to investigate those.

20220917_151445.jpg
The second wagon is an open wagon from the early days of the London and Birmingham Rly. A 3D print from my CAD artwork.

20220901_113836.jpg

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Geoff your models always look so clean, I think I am going to need to look into some G3 model work, I like the fact that one can see the detail without having to use a microscope some of the time.

Michael

Last edited:

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Thank you, Geoff, that is very kind of you.
With regards to the L&B wagon, where did you obtain the drawing? Some of those, or even a few different types, would look good behind my 'Lion'.

Jon

Ian_T

Western Thunderer
I've been meaning to comment that I like your use of 'mixed' materials on this wagon Geoff e.g. laser-cut ply body panels, 3D printed frames and metal components etc. Very practical approach in G3 I think.

Regards,

IanT

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
I like your use of 'mixed' materials
Thank you Ian, I do think real wood is better for open wagons. Or for the patterns of the cast bodies of open wagons. I'm very pleased with the wood grain in the resin castings of the open wagons whose patterns I made for Williams Models. I think it makes the painting of the unpainted inner surfaces look much better.

Ian_T

Western Thunderer
I didn't know how that grain had been produced Geoff - simple when you are told.

Drifting off this topic just a little (but in reference to using 3D printed wheels on your LBR thread) - many years ago, another G3S member had built some very nice carriage stock pretty much entirely from ply, including the wheels which he had turned. I commented at the time that I didn't think they would last (I thought they would delaminate). He obviously remembered this unkind remark ( :( ) as about 10 years later he made a point of showing me the same carriages. The wheels were still intact and had in fact picked up a metalic sheen on the treads, such that one would think that they were metal. So I'm sure your wheels will survive!

Regards,

IanT