4mm An EM Workbench: whitemetal double act

D&S GNR open New

AJC

Western Thunderer
Thank you, Mike, and everyone. Since I don’t feel like painting, another project from the shelf, the D&S GNR opens, now back on their wheels, with coupling hooks and the last of the original paint consigned to history.

4BCB04D3-3EC6-447E-9E1E-298F5E67EFB0.jpeg

Just one buffer head lost, but that’s ok. I’ve replaced the horse loops with 0.3mm nickel silver wire.

E979134D-0D17-4BE7-8AAF-C0A0EEBB28B7.jpeg

And floors, from hand scribed 40 thou’. The brakes will be mounted to these - soldering to the back of the solebars, as designed, would have been good for Irish standard gauge, I reckon.

0BD66935-9DC9-4272-9B2D-8529BB6253A6.jpeg

Adam

Last edited:
Rapido SECR van New

AJC

Western Thunderer
Oh, and there’s always one more thing, isn’t there? In this case, the appearance of Captain Cock-Up's detective cousin. I’ve re sprayed the SECR brake, but only then spotted that my chosen prototype had gained rainstrips. So out with the Evergreen and the Plasticweld.

AA0AD42A-F786-4412-A101-4ADD291FBFA5.jpeg

The tare weight is the masked up original, all the other lettering will have to be new.

Adam

Last edited:
D&S GNR open New

AJC

Western Thunderer
Both the GNR opens are at the end of soldering, capping strips from 5 thou’ will be added tomorrow and maybe, if the rain holds off, primer. Since they look exactly the same, one photo will suffice. Masokits provided the levers and guides, but I resisted weakening the already tired brake fittings by cutting the safety loops away.

2F655390-00B4-49CC-B252-D409C73FC5E0.jpeg

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
Couple more beers and I'll see them both.

Nice work recovering some retro kits Adam.

Thanks, and with two under fives in the house, tiredness can have the same effect... Given the rate these things go for unbuilt (c. £40 a go), these represent utter bargains, even for the work involved.

Adam