4mm An EM Workbench: selection box

Overseer

Western Thunderer
In the latest edition of Bylines - the first I've bought in a while - I alighted upon an interesting wagon which looks to be of Midland origin (numbered M8014), with unusual asymmetric strapping. Can anyone with Midland wagon books enlighten me as to the diagram and dimensions? This one is firmly for the future, if at all...

View attachment 186874

Adam
Great minds …….. reminds me I should put the nuts on mine and finish it.
Post in thread 'Mid-Century mineral'
7mm - Mid-Century mineral

Reactions: AJC
Jinty

AJC

Western Thunderer
A little while ago, A long term Shelf Queen was illustrated, in the form of what is now a Bachmann Jinty atop a High Level chassis. Now, whatever *could* have gone wrong - errors in gears from Chris (cheerfully apologised for and rectified) - not putting sub-assemblies in at the right point, broaching coupling rods badly, using mixed wheels of the same diameter with different crank throws, failing to think about how to add pick ups (user error) - on this one has and did. The trick, I suppose, is to know how to put those errors right and now I have, here it is, almost complete, certainly in one, running, piece. There's now a dose of touching up, chassis to paint, glazing, lamps, coal, and crew to add. That said, honour is satisfied, and I have made something else that works, though using none of the bits that kicked off the project for that purpose. There's a lesson there somewhere.

Radstock_002.jpg

Adam

Last edited:

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Adam, I do rather like the B4 and Jinty, very realistic and subtle. Also the tools are very effective.
You have been busy.
Cheers
Julian

AJC

Western Thunderer
Adam, I do rather like the B4 and Jinty, very realistic and subtle. Also the tools are very effective.
You have been busy.
Cheers
Julian

Thank you! I’m really pleased to have completed the Jinty, and will be even happier once the final details and weathering are done: it’s been far too long. I have a couple of other locos like that, and no end of wagons in a similar state of in-between-ness, but don’t most of us?

Adam

Mr Lycett-Smith's mogul

AJC

Western Thunderer
And so, 4377 becomes Didcot's 5380. A couple of finished views before it goes in the box to reappear - rather improbably - on the Ilchester branch goods at some distant point in the future. Yes, it should really be one of the Taunton ones - but they all had either the later style of motion bracket or rivetted tenders. The finish and details are based on this Colin Caddy shot in Mike Morant's useful collection: GWR 4300 2-6-0's - MikeMorant

The 'goalpost' arrangement added to the tender seems to be in connection with OHLE precautions and were either red oxide (as here - it may be right, it may not, but a little colour does do harm on a black loco'), or black, and I've modelled the weather sheet folded back over the cab roof along with new draincocks. It is, however, substantially Roger Lycett-Smith's model and I hope he'd accept what I've done with it to represent one of Holcroft's (sorry, Churchward's) moguls in its latter years. What with the Jinty, Thomas and the B4, that's four locos finished or very close in a matter of months something I'm unlikely to emulate ever again!

Churchward_Mogul_004.jpg

Churchward_Mogul_006.jpg

Churchward_Mogul_005.jpg

Adam

ullypug

Western Thunderer
And very nice it is too.
There were moguls that made it to the Cheddar branch, so I'm sure rule no 1 applies.
Speaking of which, I acquired a rather nice kit for a Dukedog at Expo EM. I know a couple were allocated to Bristol in 1953/54 but have no evidence that they ever ventured over the branch, but...

AJC

Western Thunderer
And very nice it is too.
There were moguls that made it to the Cheddar branch, so I'm sure rule no 1 applies.
Speaking of which, I acquired a rather nice kit for a Dukedog at Expo EM. I know a couple were allocated to Bristol in 1953/54 but have no evidence that they ever ventured over the branch, but...

I already have bits for a more proper Holcroft mogul (the sort with valve gear where you can see it and smoke deflectors), which would probably be too heavy, but why on earth not (and Yeovil actually had those allocated). So why not a Dukedog at Cheddar?

Adam

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I already have bits for a more proper Holcroft mogul (the sort with valve gear where you can see it and smoke deflectors), which would probably be too heavy, but why on earth not (and Yeovil actually had those allocated)

Now you're talking - N, N1, U or U1.... or one of each?

AJC

Western Thunderer
Now you're talking - N, N1, U or U1.... or one of each?

U - rebuilt River, in fact. Yeovil Town didn't have any of the others (the odd N, possibly, which would be easier, but mostly visitors from Exmouth Junction). The quintessential Yeovil loco.

Adam

MarkR

Western Thunderer
The finish and details are based on this Colin Caddy shot in Mike Morant's useful collection: GWR 4300 2-6-0's - MikeMorant
Hi Adam,
The mogul had turned out very nice, about the same time that you acquired it, I purchased Tre Pol and Pen, also in EM from the same source as you, needless to say I have yet to run it.
I note your reference to the late Colin Caddy, many years ago I purchased a lot of prints of the Bridport Branch, does Mike Morant now care for his collection? It just that I have searched his website and he doesn't list very many subjects for that Branch, I wonder if some of the collection went elsewhere.
Mark

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hi Adam,
The mogul had turned out very nice, about the same time that you acquired it, I purchased Tre Pol and Pen, also in EM from the same source as you, needless to say I have yet to run it.
I note your reference to the late Colin Caddy, many years ago I purchased a lot of prints of the Bridport Branch, does Mike Morant now care for his collection? It just that I have searched his website and he doesn't list very many subjects for that Branch, I wonder if some of the collection went elsewhere.
Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm glad some of the other models went to good homes - there were a couple of Mitchell Manors as well and they went very fast. I'd be interested to see a picture of Tre Pol and Pen if you have one, a lovely name and an attractive engine.

I don't know about Mike Morant's connection with Colin Caddy - I think it's probable that he bought that particular image, but not sure when. Mr Morant certainly lived (lives?) in Sherborne so it could have been decades ago. The person who's more likely to know is @Gerry Beale, I'd have thought since he's done a book on the line.

Adam

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Adam,
Many thanks for your reply, I will post a picture when we return home (we are in Malvern at the moment, having taken a trip on the GWSR today, as an wedding anniversary present for my wife!!!)
A positioning drive tomorrow ready for Railex on Saturday, my first exhibition since before lockdown.
Mark

MarkR

Western Thunderer
A better picture (hopefully!) of 3265, "Tre Pol and Pen" (three Cornish men) EM gauge, rather too early for my period, BR (W) but a lovely loco, I do like the outside frame classes, and have a 7mm David Andrew's Dukedog in the stash.
Mark20230610_145716.jpg20230610_145722.jpg

AJC

Western Thunderer
A better picture (hopefully!) of 3265, "Tre Pol and Pen" (three Cornish men) EM gauge, rather too early for my period, BR (W) but a lovely loco, I do like the outside frame classes, and have a 7mm David Andrew's Dukedog in the stash.
MarkView attachment 188387View attachment 188388

Very handsome, Mark. If it's anything like the mogul, it'll go ok, but probably need a good clean (and a check for bits that have been superglued on falling off). Meanwhile, courtesy of @Dan Randall, a low key recovery (not a rescue) of an ABS LMS van which came to me lacking a roof and with a detached brake lever (I found it this morning, having trodden on it). Happily, I had some of those in stock so a bit of remedial work and a new lid later it's ready for a partial repaint, once everything has cooled down a bit.

LMS_Van_001.jpg

Adam

Last edited:
One for Stephen Lea (@Compound2632).

Just lit upon this. As others have said, D673. A new number for the list. Please could someone let me know what the photo credit is in the magazine? Thanks. (I find I did already have an 8014 in my list - a wagon delivering 5 tons 10 cwt of coal from Rylands Colliery, Barnsley, to Z (?) Sandall, Skipton, on 21 October 1897. Obviously that wasn't this wagon, which was built in 1913 at the earliest, but its precursor. The first 8014 would have entered traffic in the first half of 1853; In November 1852, 150 high sided wagons were ordered as additions to stock from Brown, Marshall & Co. and 100 from Mr Crosland, so it might have been one of those. Towards the end of the 19th century, Midland wagons were being renewed on average at about 20 years, in which case 1853 - 1873 - 1893 - 1913 this D673 is the fourth use of the number, in which case the Skipton wagon was an 8-ton wagon to D299 or D351 (with end door). Alternatively, it's only the third use 1853 - 1883 - 1913 and the Skipton wagon was an early example of D299.)

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Just lit upon this. As others have said, D673. A new number for the list. Please could someone let me know what the photo credit is in the magazine? Thanks. (I find I did already have an 8014 in my list - a wagon delivering 5 tons 10 cwt of coal from Rylands Colliery, Barnsley, to Z (?) Sandall, Skipton, on 21 October 1897. Obviously that wasn't this wagon, which was built in 1913 at the earliest, but its precursor. The first 8014 would have entered traffic in the first half of 1853; In November 1852, 150 high sided wagons were ordered as additions to stock from Brown, Marshall & Co. and 100 from Mr Crosland, so it might have been one of those. Towards the end of the 19th century, Midland wagons were being renewed on average at about 20 years, in which case 1853 - 1873 - 1893 - 1913 this D673 is the fourth use of the number, in which case the Skipton wagon was an 8-ton wagon to D299 or D351 (with end door). Alternatively, it's only the third use 1853 - 1883 - 1913 and the Skipton wagon was an early example of D299.)

Hi Stephen,

Railway Bylines, May 2023, pp. 286-7 at Addison and Clara Vale colliery, article by Nick Deacon, photos not obviously credited though Chris Fisher and Nick Fleetwood are thanked.

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
A quick project, with a long gestation. I've had this Heljan class 14 ever since the model first came out. A very basic regauging operation - I pulled the wheels out - followed and a few cosmetic upgrades, notably the handrail/trim around the bonnet and filling in the buffer beams.

D9514_003.jpg

Now, the big job, which I have only just got round to, was replacing the rods. The chaps in Denmark made them very fine indeed, much finer than they should have been (unusual in RTR terms). Brassmasters will supply replacements and I had a set of those as soon as they came out and it's best not to look up how long ago that was. Over the weekend, I assembled them and this lunchtime, I've fitted them to a significant visual improvement. Now I can finish weathering the thing.

D9514_004.jpg

Adam