An Occasional S Scale Workbench.

ScottW

Western Thunderer
My intention with this thread is to document the projects going through my workbench. I have classed this as an 'occasional workbench thread' as I'm not the quickest of modellers and it can be a few months before any major progress is made.

To kick things off, here is a Great Northern Railway 9 Ton Open Goods wagon. The body is a 3D print from @Rob R and is superb quality with wonderfully sharp detail. It doesn't come with a floor but this is easily produced from a piece of 40thou Plasticard, suitably scribed to represent floor planks.

GNR_4 Plank_05.jpg

The running gear is produced using an etch supplied by the S Scale Society and incorporates a type of springy beam suspension. This set-up involves two rocking W-irons being held horizontally by two spring steel wires at either ends of the W-irons, which themselves are kept under tension by a beam.

GNR_4 Plank_15.jpg

Earlier versions of this wagon were shipped out with a single shoe brake acting on one wheel, on one side only. Later wagons were fitted with a hand brake operating on one wheel on both sides, connected by a crossbar where both operating handles were at the same end of the wagon. Being a Scottish modeller almost all my wagons have a single brake acting on one wheel so I thought it would be nice to have a wagon that was slightly different, so I chose to model the later style brake gear representing this by using components from an S Scale Ambis Engineering etch. To say it was a bit fiddley would be an understatement. The V Hangers were cut from waste etch material as the ones supplied by Ambis were quite thin and weren't exactly the same shape.

GNR_4 Plank_25.jpg

GNR_4 Plank35.jpg

Completing the build, 3D printed wagon buffers, axleboxes and springs were attached. The S Scale 3D drawings for these were greatfully supplied by @Mike Trice.

GNR_4 Plank45.jpg

GNR_4 Plank55.jpg

After priming the wagon with Halfords Red Oxide Enamel Primer, the body was given a coat of Tamiya Red/Brown acrylic paint (XF-64) and the underframe a coat of a dirty black mix. The decals came from the Old Time Workshop and are 4mm scale, these don't look too bad a fit for S Scale.

thumbnail_IMG_3832.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3831.jpg

Next up on the workbench are some Caledonian Railway wagons......

Last edited:

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Simon,
Elegoo Water Washable Transclucent Green. I have also used the Transclucent Red and a random mix of the two to produce a :shit: brown. Wall thickness a scale 2 1/2" (1mm), no floor, printed upright with medium supports under the headstocks and soles, with light supports under the curb rails.
I know a picture would have been better than a thousand words but I am in work tonight and the piccies are at home......
Rob

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Rob, that’s really helpful. Do you find it’s brittle?

I figured you had printed square on, given the PK floor. I must try that.

when the mojo strikes again, I’ll get on with the infamous loco coal wagons. Nick @magmouse is waiting patiently…

cheers
Simon

Rob R

Western Thunderer
I have not found the ww transclucent resin to be unduly brittle (as a wagon shaped object) and I haven't had any negative feedback from the SSMRS guys n gals that have been playing with them.
The floorless design evolved as a way of keeping the cross sectional area reasonably constant.
The bin monster has not feasted on wagon bodies for a while, although there was a near miss earlier in the year. I had been printing off half a dozen of each of the 5 types of 1923 rch 7 planks and the FEP had a nice wagon sized rectangle almost cut through. I have since moved the prints around the print bed to spread the wear...

ScottW

Western Thunderer
How have you painted the interior of the sheeting?

Having sprayed the interior with Halfords Red Oxide Primer I apply a base coat of Humbrol Natural Wood (110), then a top coat of Humbrol Desert Yellow (930). Over the top of this I apply numerous mid grey washes, brushing the wash along each seperate plank. I keep building up the mid grey wash till I'm happy with the finish. You could try various shades of browns and grey's, it's just that I had these available.