4mm An unknown Hall

jonte

Western Thunderer
I sincerely hope nobody minds me slipping in this rather modest project amongst all these fine feats of engineering, but as this is my first weathering job, I thought I'd share this rather daunting experience with you.

Now, I know that I was supposed to be spending the summer fabricating umpteen wire armature trees to adorn my recent American based layout, however, in between my last post and the arrival of summer I became a little homesick, and spurred on by a litany of evocative images courtesy of the likes of Mr. David Heyes, and the very reasonable price of Hornby's Olton Hall http://www.ehattons.com/60227/Hornb..._Railroad_range_New_tooling_/StockDetail.aspx
to mitigate dire feelings of frustration if it all went you-know-what, well, how could I resist?

So, without further ado, here's where I'm up to after two to three weeks of trial and error.

image.jpg image.jpg

I've moved to create a once fine mainline locomotive now down on it's luck and seeing out it's days as a shunter

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
image.jpg image.jpg View attachment 47004 I've always been fascinated by the sorry sights of careworn Halls, Manors, Granges and even Kings that graced the yards and mainline stations as simple pilots towards the end of steam, especially those that had 'lost' their name and number plates - even their linings below a build up of crud anf filth - and this is the sort of finish I'm aiming to achieve.

View attachment 47003

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
Before I continue, may I apologise for the orientation of the last two photos. Have tried in vain to show them the right way up but to no avail.

Here are the engine and tender chassis which are still in their acrylic primer coats.

image.jpg

Neil

Western Thunderer
I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I'm a big fan of the decay and magnificent sadness of the dying days of steam.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Okay. I started by burnishing the body work with a fibre glass pencil to provide a key for the acrylic primer. I should point out that although considered, this isn't purely an exercise in detailing this Railroad specimen, although I have soldered up some simple brake rods from thin brass as their omission is glaringly obvious. I've also removed the name plates - thankfully they and their integral wheel arch faces were only glued on which I only discovered once I'd started attacking them with a cutting disc in a modelling drill - parting them from the wheel arches using a jeweller's blade in a piercing saw. Brackets were formed from thin brass and proved a nightmare to attach due to the overhang of the boiler. I tried soldering and drilling holes in an attempt to attach them, in the end, opting for 'L' shaped ones snipped off in situ once the cyano glue had hardened - once or twice this had to be repeated as the fine brass wire snapped off in the process!
Humbrol enamels have and will be used exclusively in this project (stocked by local model shop, therefore no dreaded postal charges or frustrating wait for them to arrive PLUS I've one or two pots of the stuff lying around the place already) although the accuracy of one or two shades is questionable e.g. Brunswick Green was the choice of B.R. Western region from 1958 or thereabouts, however, Humbrol's shade is nothing like the odd colour photo of the real thing that I can find- does a definitive photo actually exist? No two colour photos appear that same in my experience. Apparently mid-chrome green is the choice of the discerning modeller, but this would incur a wait and postal charges as mentioned earlier, so I'd rather press on with what I've got and see if I can at least achieve an approximation. I'll leave it to the reader to decide.

Anyway, back to the plot. A couple of thinned dark grey coats were washed onto the acrylic which, for no other reason, would serve to darken any further coats - or at least I'd hoped. In the event, I'm not sure if it's made any difference.
This was followed by Humbrol no. 78, a Matt Green, which caught my attention on my visit to the local model shop, which - to my uninitiated eye - looked more like a WR green than a Brunswick Green. It wasn't! That's the good thing I suppose about thin washes: they don't really make much difference to the finished article.
Next up was another matt green of a different shade - no. 75 - that I noticed shoved to the corner of my desk. A little like pea-green, it reminded me of traffic worn locos of the GWR pre-war period; nothing like the later stuff that in some photos was almost a metalcote-y grey/blue/green in patches. Grr!
But that was the key: in patches. A closer look at some of those later images- especially around tender and cab sides - showed a variegated green finish, so with that in mind it was onwards and upwards. Leaving the previous as a suitable base, I turned to the process of dry brushing; so it was back to number 78 followed by no.3 'Brunswick Green'. The results are as you see them. Personally, I feel the patina and overall effect are along the right lines, but the jury's out on the colour.
I've consoled myself in the knowledge that the whole thing will eventually be lost under a coat of grime, which will be applied by air brush using my new compressor, so perhaps I shouldn't worry too much.
Other techniques will involve the use of weathering powders - a couple of ideas, here - and an attempt at chipped paint around the smoke box using paint of different concentrations and Maskol.
The chassis will also be distressed with an airbrush, mainly using matt black, metal cote and leather in varying quantities as advocated by Mr. Shackleton.

I'm not going to line the loco as it's a filthy, careworn look I hanker after, however, BR insignia of the appropriate period will adorn the tender sides, having purchased Fox's transfers for the purpose - I think I'm right in thinking that a coat of gloss varnish will have to be applied under the area of the transfer prior to affixing?

One other point, about the Brunswick Green paint, before I close. This is a gloss paint which flies in the face of what I'm attempting to achieve, however, the dry brush technique has kept the shiny finish at bay, at worst giving it a slightly silky sheen in parts such as beneath the boiler, where I may want some of the green to show through under some steaks or runs.

I'm just off to apply a second 'thin' white wash of paint around the smoke box, to knock back that salmon pink colour further, itself a faint dab of signal red in matt White ( two coats applied as washes, of course).

Jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
Thanks Wagonman and Neil for your welcome interest.

Didn't find your posts until after I'd posted my last (was having my tea ).

I hope I can maintain your interest.

Jonte.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Jonte.

I have at least half a dozen photos of "Halls" in the period in which you are interested. (Inevitably at Southall!) Some give no indication of their livery while some show vestiges of their green and lining, together with the BR totem. They may be of some help in finalising the worn and weathered condition. PM me if you'd like me to forward copies.

Brian

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian

That's most kind of you and I'd be delighted to receive them, although I do hate to impose.

Incidentally, here are couple of pictures that have already whet my appetite which I hope you find of interest.

These two are of Westol Hall

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00001-d-salmon-7925-Oxford-13-11-65b.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/taffytank/17467187236

Although a manor, this next one of Ditcheat Manor with its scorched smoke box at Shrewsbury is my favourite. Who would tell at first glance that it was green?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barkingbill/2126957885/in/album-72157603696486994/

PM on its way, Brian.

Many thanks,

Jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
Sincerest thanks for those wonderfully evocative images, Brian.

I doubt I can do them justice.

Kind regards,

Jonte

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Interesting pictures, Jonte. Like you I'm fascinated by the varying degrees of "patination" on locos at this time.

Some more for your collection on the way via PM. These will all be "Halls" but most of the WR stuff I photographed at the time was in similar condition - let me know if the photos I send give enough info or if you'd like some of other classes too to give a wider view of conditions at the time.

BTW, your PM arrived perfectly. Well done on your navigation.

Best regards.

Brian

jonte

Western Thunderer
I'm really not worthy, Brian, but thank you for your further generous offer.

I would willingly pore over any of your quality images until my eye balls finally gave up the ghost! But seriously, I would relish the opportunity to see more; I just don't want to put you to too much trouble. Your kind offerings to date have more than sated my appetite for down-at-heel kettles.

Kind regards,

Jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
Your latest despatch has arrived safe and sound, Brian.

These quality images, like the others are invaluable to me. A real treasure trove.

Thank you.

Jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
image.jpg image.jpg Just to keep a record of paint colours used.

A start made on the fire damaged smoke box. A mid toned rust mix of Humbrol nos. 160, 119 & 62 dry brushed on. Lighter and darker shades to follow.

Underlying salmon pink not as harsh as before following a 'very' thin wash of matt White.

View attachment 47085 View attachment 47086

Apologies for the orientation.

I was wondering whether I could use my Photobucket account to attach these as I'm working on and photographing with an I-pad?

Thanks for looking.

Jonte

Last edited:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Hi Jonte

If you edit your iPad shots using Photos or iPhoto by simply rotating them it seems to reset the embedded orientation data. Hope that helps.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather, and many thanks for your much appreciated interest and assistance.

I followed your advice and altered the images as you suggested.

After much head scratching, it transpired that the images needed cropping. Apparently, if the file size is exceeded, the orientation is altered for some reason.

Anyway, errant images suitably amended.

Thank you once again, Heather.

Jonte

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Keep going, Jonte: there still seems to be way to much green :)

A long time ago, in a decade far removed from this one, I joined the Railway Book Club. At that time, they were giving out Robert Adley's "Covering My Tracks" and "In Search of Steam" as joining incentives. As a result - much like Neil - I've always been facsinated by those engines that made it to the end, and the folk who kept them running. Neil's "magnificent sadness" is bang on.

It's good to see your artistry, and thanks for the informative notes :)

Cheers

Jan

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hi Jan!

As always, it's good to hear from you and I hope and trust you are well.

Your warm words and kind encouragement in all my ham fisted attempts at railway modelling are inspiring and humbling; each, as always, accompanied by your trademark witty anecdotes which are very much enjoyed and appreciated.
I'm glad to discover that this aspect of railways is clearly close to your heart too, which makes the project all the more worthwhile - and steels me to finish it!

You're dead right about the green, of course; not only too much of it but the wrong shade too. Thank goodness for grime and the multitude of sins it will hide.
Your far too kind by considering me an artist: as usual I've no idea what I'm doing and have been forced into making it upas I go along yet again! Having been generously furnished with some wonderfully detailed photos by Oldravendale of grotty old Ex-GWR locos, I'm quickly beginning to feel as though I'm getting out of my depth and perhaps should have opted for something a little more modest. But I've started so I'll finish as the saying goes, hoping that fortune favours the brave

Thanks once again for your interest, Jan. I hope I can maintain your interest.

Jon.