Andrews Class 22 Build

Andrew Thompson

Western Thunderer
This build was first started on the old RMWeb .The kit was purchased at Kettering 09 and the last post was Aug 09 .I had just cut and shaped 4 glass cab windowsreens . However having taken acritical look at the loco I wasnt happy with some of the fit and soldering . So I have been tinkering with grills ,door fittings etc . I am not entirely happy with the door inserts as excess heat has desorted some and I might end up soldering small brass wire around the windows instead. I have now made a start on the cab roofs and used the whitemetal fittings .I had to remove part of the sides and fronts to get them to fit . One I have started to file down but have taken to much off .I added some whitemetal solder to replace what I had removed . In retrospect I will now use Davids Isopan to finish off on both ends . One end I havent touched . ( Pictures attached).Once smoothed down will afix the buffer beams .I intended to use the whitemetal casting supplied with the kit for the front but wasnt happy with the detail and sanded it down (see the RMWeb picture) . I will now start a fresh with plasticard and detail with a mixture of brass and plasticard.Looking at the photos ,It will be alright on the night . :lol:

[attachment=5:1stkyxhd]winter 015.jpg[/attachment:1stkyxhd]
[attachment=2:1stkyxhd]winter 018.jpg[/attachment:1stkyxhd]
[attachment=3:1stkyxhd]winter 017.jpg[/attachment:1stkyxhd]
[attachment=4:1stkyxhd]winter 016.jpg[/attachment:1stkyxhd]
[attachment=1:1stkyxhd]winter 020.jpg[/attachment:1stkyxhd]
[attachment=0:1stkyxhd]winter 022.jpg[/attachment:1stkyxhd]

Will post more once I have tided up .

Andrew

Attachments

• winter 015.jpg
    winter 015.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 231
  • winter 016.jpg
    winter 016.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 231
  • winter 017.jpg
    winter 017.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 230
  • winter 018.jpg
    winter 018.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 230
  • winter 020.jpg
    winter 020.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 230
  • winter 022.jpg
    winter 022.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 230
  • winter 015.jpg
    winter 015.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 230
  • winter 016.jpg
    winter 016.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 230
  • winter 017.jpg
    winter 017.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 230
  • winter 018.jpg
    winter 018.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 230
  • winter 020.jpg
    winter 020.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 230
  • winter 022.jpg
    winter 022.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 231

28ten

Guv'nor
They does look like a bit of a job! That sort of filing is never the easiest task, with those compound curves being hard to get symmetrical.
I think I shall be holding out for the JLTRT kit

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Looks like your moving on to the difficult bits now, I keep toying with the idea of getting one myself :scratch:
Phill :thumbs:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I don't mean this in a "yah-boo-sucks" way; but looking at your cab roofs I can't help thinking I'm glad I didn't use them on my 22... ;)
On the other hand, it looks like you got those two notorious bodyside grilles in the right place... :thumbs:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
CME & Bottlewasher said:
Am I right in thinking that SB are/is re-introducting another resin version of this kit? (wasnt it manufactured in resin once before?).
It was originally a resin kit as were all SB's kits at the time( class's 24,25 & 22), but he switched to etch brass some time ago & as far as I'm aware has no intention of going back to resin, but you could contact him through his website here : http://www.ukmodernimage.com/index.html

Cheers Phill

Andrew Thompson

Western Thunderer
CME

if you do venture into opening the box have a look at Trevor Hales thread on the old Rweb under d7093 .Will save you a lot of time if you cant get access I think I copied some of his notes and can post on here .

My own build is back in the workshops after taking a fall on to the garage floor ,some damage to one cab end once repaired will post .

Andrew

westernfan

Western Thunderer
CME & Bottlewasher said:
Am I right in thinking that SB are/is re-introducting another resin version of this kit? (wasnt it manufactured in resin once before?).

hi cme a belated welcome to the forum :wave: my class 22 is a resin kit it seems to be a bit narrow compaired to the brass version but it suits its purpose im looking forward to the jltrt kit but does kylie minogue start signing i should be so lucky when one opens the box . :lol:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Andrew Thompson said:
CME

if you do venture into opening the box have a look at Trevor Hales thread on the old Rweb under d7093 .Will save you a lot of time if you cant get access I think I copied some of his notes and can post on here .

My own build is back in the workshops after taking a fall on to the garage floor ,some damage to one cab end once repaired will post .

Andrew
Is Trevor still modelling ?, the last I heard he was selling most of his stuff :( , which is a great shame IMO as he was doing some great work on RMW :cool: :cool: :cool:
Cheers Phill