Another Manning Wardle.....only BIGGER!

John D

Western Thunderer
I'm in the process of putting together some test etches for a forthcoming Mike Williams (not the Agenoria  one but www.williamsmodels.co.uk) Gauge 3 kit being a 'blow up' of my G1 1:32 scale kit. Photo shows the progress so far and gives a size comparison with the completed 1:32 version.........oooo-errrrr !  'tis BIG  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Attachments

• G3 G1 MW.jpg
    G3 G1 MW.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 94

Simon

Flying Squad
Hells teeth - that's absolutely gigantic, are you still using the 60W iron or do you have a "super model"?

In best Reginald Manning Wardle spotter voice, I was re - reading my MRJ compendium the other night, like you do, and Don Townsley showed a picture of "Aldwyth" and the internal view of its bunker which revealed a sort of half circular "cut out" which extends the footplate and effectively divides the bunker into two. He made the comment that a lot of modellers "get this wrong" which left me wondering about the internals of (my) bunker which looks just like yours, albeit with the cab back sheet sitting on the back edges of the sandboxes.

Does Professor Dale have an answer to this fascinating conundrum of cab interiors from the late 19th Century or should I get out more? :))

John D

Western Thunderer
Egad!! Neddy boy....... I use the same iron to build the HO scale Boxcab, 1:32 Manning W/ Ruston  and this G3 beast of a thing namely my 80w Ersa temperature controlled solder station.....a fantastic bit of kit and well worth the money, though they are a bit dearer now.
Now then re: M Wardle bunkers.....all I will say is that 'Aldwyth' is a K class which does indeed have this semi circular cut out, as does the Slaters 7mm scale model of a K class......Now my kit wot you 'ave there sonny boy is an L class and ,having looked at the various photographs of the L class in Harman's book I have deduced that the arrangement in the kit for the L class  is pretty well what it should be for an L class.....do I make myself clear    ;D ;D ;D  now for heavens sake read Playboy or Whips and Wellies weekly at night NOT the MRJ stuff  ::)....there's a good lad  ;D ;D :))

S

Simon Dunkley

John D said:
I'm in the process of putting together some test etches for a forthcoming Mike Williams (not the Agenoria  one but www.williamsmodels.co.uk) Gauge 3 kit being a 'blow up' of my G1 1:32 scale kit.
For anyone tempted, you might like to search out the December 1996 Railway Modeller for a layout idea: a 16mm scale standard gauge light railway in 12' x 2', so on that basis, a G3 light railway needs about 8 and a half feet of length.

Oh, and code 200 FB rail is just about spot on for 60 lb/yard rail...

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
John D said:
.....do I make myself clear  ...  now for heavens sake read Playboy or Whips and Wellies Weekly at night NOT the MRJ stuff  ::)....there's a good lad  ;D ;D :))
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT !!!
happy0045.gif
happy0045.gif
happy0045.gif

... all over a Bunker, too !! Must be a bit like being in a Golf Club.... :)) :)) :))
sorry, I did say I hate puns...
happy0194.gif

What I was originally going to say, looking at the OP, until I collapsed laughing at the later posts, was that I recall seeing a Gauge 3 layout at a show years ago; it was fairly small despite the Scale, very "Col. Stephens"-esque, and by far the most fascinating layout of the whole Show for me, which is why I can still remember it - except the flippin' name, of course... ::) :headbang: :headbang:

John D

Western Thunderer
just in case you've got the front wrong as well.

Hmmmm.... the perils of a preserved loco.....the weatherboard is of the type fitted to the contractors locos as seen in the photo collection on the Leicester Museum's site. The various fittings on the top of the firebox and their handles and piping are not 'as built' which is also the case for the dirty great washout(?) plug on the firebox side........

Neil

Western Thunderer
Sorry John I didn't mean to bring into question the authenticity of your kit, the temptation to tease Simon got the better of me.

John D

Western Thunderer
It's OK Neil....I'm panicking like mad as I think I may have got the bunker  wrong with the early style cab in the kit  :headbang: , though the enclosed steel cab/bunker I'm quite happy with  :)