Anyone know the builder???

Tony West

Western Thunderer
Yesterday I collected form the Reading show the E&T goodies that I had reserved.
The locos seem too well built to be home brewed, also they predate any kits of these prototypes !.
The 9J ( pom pom!!...enjoy, Graham !!) has the words 'Hinchcliffe 1970' painted very neatly underneath , otherwise there is nothing to identify the origins of any of these ( 5 locos in total ). So I'm hoping that someone might just recognise the 'building style'.
The eight coupled( class 8A)seems fairly sophisticated, sprung axles, both loco and tender. split frame collection and correctly milled and jointed rods. I should also add that the previous owner passed away sixteen years ago .
Many thanks in advance, Tony.

Attachments

• 002a.jpg
    002a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • 006a.jpg
    006a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • 007a.jpg
    007a.jpg
    1,010.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 014a.jpg
    014a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • 016a.jpg
    016a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 017a.jpg
    017a.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • 018a.jpg
    018a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • 019a.jpg
    019a.jpg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 47

daifly

Western Thunderer
A little detective work on the Guild website suggests that A.P. Hinchcliffe may be responsible. He had an article about his GCR layout published in a very early Gazette. If you are a member, you can access the Gazette Archive and read it for yourself.

Edit - Having now had a chance to read the article, it was by A.P. Hinchliffe (note different spelling). George Hinchcliffe was also responsible for a number of Gazette contributions - his first in 1956 and most recent in 2010! Could it have been built by him?

Dave

Tony West

Western Thunderer
Dave,
well done !!:bowdown::thumbs:.
I was given the name Roger hinchliffe originally but was confused when I found the name Hinchcliffe applied to the J11, but upon reading the article ....spookily all the locos refered to have the correct numbers !!...including two sat in front of me,a J10 No 679 and a D9 No 1021...other numbers match the remaining locos on the E&T list. It also explains the standard of some of the work in mentioning the use of Beeson fittings . Such a shame that there were no photos accompanying the article !.
I owe you a pint for that ....going to Kettering next March ??.
Cheers Tony.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Glad to help. I shall certainly be at Kettering and will happily accept a coffee - beer tends to cloud my shopping judgement!

Tony West

Western Thunderer
Come over to the GCRS stand and introduce yourself !!....as for the beer,,,,it would appear that many WTer's suffer from the same affliction :eek::p.
Cheers Tony.