Trade Attention milk tank lovers!

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Guys - This may interest anyone with a penchant for milk tanks.

Rumney Models are doing some etched bits and bobs (ladders, platforms etc), to improve the look of the David Geen 4mm scale tank kits (as well as chassis’ for tanks and other types of wagons), but there is good news for 7mm modelers too – here’s a quote from their web site….

”There were some 41 diagrams issued for 6 wheel 3000 gallon milk tanks built between 1931 and 1951 by BR, the GWR, LMS, SR and LNER. In the 70s Swindon seemed to create a few new ones as well. All were different, some more than others. There were 6 different underframes, 5 different brakegear arrangements, several ladder types, more types of tank support than you can shake a stick at, two different types of platforms, walkways…

These etches are designed to fit around the either the David Geen Dean-Churchward braked GWR or LMS milk tank kits (not included!) to enable most of the diagrams not covered in those two kits to be produced. I have not tried fitting any of these parts to any other makes of milk tank, nor have an intention of doing so, but the detailing parts should fit (maybe with some work) if the model is anywhere near to scale.

I am quite prepared to do 7mm scale enlargements of the platforms/detail parts, if it is wanted, to fit the Slater’s kits. I don’t know how accurate the Slater’s kits are so there maybe some slight fettling required. These would be etched on 0.4mm brass with holes suitably resized. Enquire for details. I’m also prepared to do similar for S scale. Regrettably the items are too fine to be able to do reductions for the smaller scales”.

Information on the milk tank bits can be found here….

http://www.rumneymodels.co.uk/2.html

Here’s a link to their home page, with an index to all their stuff….

http://www.rumneymodels.co.uk/index.html

Regards

Dan

AJC

Western Thunderer
Since Justin's interest is P4, I don't know how much interest he would have in developing complete kits for 7mm; enlargments of detail parts is relatively easy but his sprung underframes are made with specific 4mm applications in mind and I don't know how well they'd scale. They are top notch bits, however...

That said, I'd be interested in a 6w flat for the road borne tankers (with suitable tank trailers of course) should one appear from one source or another but I'm not holding my breath on this.

Adam

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I shall be watching these developments closely, for two reasons;
1. I did the original patterns for the David Geen milk tanks.
2. I'd very much welcome sets of parts to convert the Slaters kits to the SR versions.

A 'Dyson' would be interesting too. My dad has recently built one of the Blackberry Way kits and was very pleased with it.

Thanks for kicking off the thread Dan!