Auction of ScaleSeven 'Monks Eleigh' layout and stock

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
I do know who the purchaser was and Tim and I had a discussion about it. Still, it is a shame that the bogies have been separated from their carriages.

Ian

Craig

I have only just come to this thread but if I may I can add a bit of a postscript to the auction.
I stumbled on this internet sale after seeing a photograph showing the Ruston. It reminded me of something similar I had see in my copy of The Art of Weathering. I confess I know a little bit about English narrow gauge and next to nothing about English standard gauge and Scale 7 but I have a keen interest in weathering from the diorama side of modelling.
As I started exploring the other listings in the 'Ruston' section I recognized one and then another and then another piece of rolling stock from the book. Here was a weathering Motherlode! I applied for permission to bid as the sale was about to begin and started frantically doing some background research. I found Martyn's website only to read that it would be shutting down but at least there was a photo of the Ruston for confirmation. That explained it. Martyn was retiring and selling off his collection. Or so I thought.
I was able to get a few bids in as the auction started - even on the Simplex - but I was only successful on the three items in the first photo. It wasn't until after the auction that I finally figured out what 'Monks Eleigh' was and that I wished I would have bid harder on a lot more. I practically had a stroke when I saw what the layout sold for. First thought - Poor Martyn! I would have been crushed with that result.

It took weeks for the items to arrive in Canada. I was in awe to see them in person. I started wondering about what happened to the other lots. I guessed right that some of them might have been purchased by a reseller. Sure enough, a quick search on eBay showed that there were another eight pieces for sale in Ireland! I was able to make a deal on those. They are all on display awaiting something suitable to run on.

Craig

Attachments

• Matyn Welch Ruston.jpg
    Matyn Welch Ruston.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 88
  • Martyn Welch Rolling Stock.jpg
    Martyn Welch Rolling Stock.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 88