What shape of avatar would you prefer?

• Round Avatar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

adrian

Flying Squad
I have a few queries and I'm looking for user feedback. One of the options in the new software is altering the shape of the avatars, so I have set it to a square avatar, albeit slightly rounded corners for a couple of reasons.

First to minimise the changes as the previous version used square avatars.

Second to be slightly different to some other modelling fora. For example the Gauge O Guild have used the default circular avatar. Now this does have the benefit of making the appearance slightly lighter with the additional white space. However if you ending up flitting between the GOG fora and WT then having the square avatar is a little reminder as to which forum you are on.

Screenshot 2021-12-30 at 18.24.31.png

So to get a bit of community involvement I thought I'd run a little poll to see if members have a strong preference for one style or the other.

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
I do prefer the square version, as it is now - That could be 'cos I think a rounded off copy of mine would lose some "setting" or background, and I do like the picture.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Adrian's Mini pic wouldn't work in a circle. Square looks less contrived but do they need to be as big as they now seem to be? Takes up more space on phone screens.

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
Square for me and wanted to try sticking an image in too ;)

R-513701-1330015577.jpeg.jpg

adrian

Flying Squad
Adrian's Mini pic wouldn't work in a circle. Square looks less contrived but do they need to be as big as they now seem to be? Takes up more space on phone screens.

That was another reason for opting originally for the square format. Many forums stay with circular ones as they tend to use self portraits for their avatar and it works okay for faces. However many avatars on WT are from images more of a square format so there will be less cropping of the images.

I've noted the phone size issue and will investigate whether it's possible to adjust the style sheet.