Prototype Barry 1967 and 1968

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I recently posted a comment that rebuilt Scots and Baby Scots were my favourites at Tamworth in the late 1950s. Running at speed they gave a more powerful impression than any other locomotive and I have always put this down to the smoke deflectors (or blinkers as we called them). But at New Street the best looking locos were the Bushbury (3B) Jubilees. Always immaculate on the 2 hour expresses to Euston, they stood proud at the end of Platform 3, waiting to attack the incline through the Worcester Street tunnel under the Bull Ring. Trainspotters of the day congregated at the London end of Platform 6, this giving a view of trains on the Midland side of the station as well.

The good news is that several Jubilees were preserved, even Galatea with its missing driving axle, and have demonstrated their worth on numerous main line excursions over the years. My Philip Hawkins print of 45688 Polyphemus entering New Street with the down Midlander hangs in the Railway Room, looking down at 7mm Moor Street.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Phil Hawkins and Eric Bottomley, my two favourite railway artists. Eric and I went to the same art school in Oldham, which we can thank for assisting our different ways of earning a crust in life. They didn't teach us how to line out model locos, but I forged a quarter of a ten-bob note which convinced my teacher I was heading in the wrong direction :cool::p

Osgood

Western Thunderer
In the classic style there is Philip Hawkins too.
Also Gerald Broom who has done some lovely LNWR heavy freight portraits that often appear in books, but despite regular searching I have never managed to track down any prints of his work - perhaps he never got into the print market?

The GRA website is good to visit periodically for the sheer variety of styles, particularly from the newer members.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Doh. Thanks Dave.
I’m tempted to say “there’s no flies on you, are there?” - but the last modest old local boy I said that to retorted with:
“No, but you can see where they’ve been, can’t you?” :D

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Another great diversion! That Jubilee by Philip Hawkins is magnificent, I agree. However, we seem to have forgotten our own multi skilled Peter Insole. I for one would love one of his......

Moving on.

Two Class 2 2-6-0s this time. Possibly the ideal loco for a preserved line, along with those of a standard flavour. This one is 46428. It's currently at Bury by way of the Strathspey Railway undergoing restoration. Its last shed was Crewe South from where it was withdrawn in December 1966 arriving at Woodhams in September 1967. It left the yard in October 1979.

46428.  Barry.  18 November 1967.  Photo by Brian Dale.  copyright FINAL.jpg

The second is 46512. This was also withdrawn from Crewe South in December 1966 arriving at Barry in June 1967. It left in May 19 May 1973 and is now at the Strathspey Railway being overhauled by way of the Severn Valley and Bulmer's. It was last returned to steam in October 2000.

46512.  First Shot.  Barry.  18 November 1967.  copyright FINAL.  Photo by Brian Dale.jpg

Brian

LarryG

Western Thunderer
46512 was one of 22 Class 2's sent to Oswestry to cover local services and was a regular on the Llanfyllin branch on which my layout is based. "2F" was something of a misnomer in Wales where they probably did more passenger work than freight.

Looking at the smokebox, it is easy to see why some sheds were constantly giving them a fresh coat of 'paint'. They say the shape of the chimney is vital as it affects steaming, but the Ivatt's had three different kinds, the weirdest being the tall thin one

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Quite right, Larry. As far as I understand, originally, the locos had a short, fat chimney of LMS/Stanier rim profile and many of the locos, and their tank engine equivalents, retained this type till the end. A loco was loaned to the Western Region to try out as a replacement for old Dean Goods with disappointing results as the Ivatt could not match the steaming rate of the much older design. Subsequently, another loco was tested at Swindon and changes to the blast pipe and chimney resulted in a much improved performance. This lead to the introduction of the tall, thin chimney. Later, possibly for aesthetic reasons, the working innards of the thin chimney were incorporated into a double walled fat, tall chimney as seen on the locos photographed at Barry. This type of chimney had the BR Standard, ex-L&Y profile rim and was also fitted to the BR Standard versions of the locos.
Dave.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for additional comments, Larry. When they were working out of Willesden these locos were identified "2MT" or just "2" on the cab side. I never thought of them as freight locos although they were certainly used on pick up goods..

I knew nothing of the steaming issues, Dave, so more grist to the mill. Many thanks.

We're now on to the humdrum 3F 0-6-0 tanks. This is another loco which has been found useful in preservation.

First is 47279. This was withdrawn from Sutton Oak (Peasley Cross) at the very end of December 1966. It was purchased for use on the KWVR and arrived there in August 1979. Initial restoration resulted in the loco steaming again in February 1988. It had a second overhaul but is currently on static display at Oxenhope.

That banana van behind the loco looks in remarkable condition for a wagon going for scrap.

47279.  Barry.  18 November 1967. copyright FINAL.  Photo by Brian Dale.jpg

Next is 47298 which was also retired from Sutton Oak at the end of 1966. It arrived at Barry in June 1967 and was moved to Steamport in July 1974. It was fully restored in 1979 and then moved to the Llangollen Rilway. It's now operational on the East Lancs Railway.

47298.  Barry.  18 November 1967.  Photo by Brian Dale.  copyright FINAL.jpg

Finally 47357. It was withdrawn from Edge Hill in December 1966 and arrived at Woodhams in November 1967. It left quickly, in July 1970 and was purchased by the Midland Railway Trust. It was in service in August 1981 and is currently undergoing overhaul at Butterley with some work being undertaken elsewhere.

47357.  Barry.  18 November 1967.  Photo by Brian Dale. copyright FINAL..jpg

Brian

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian, your photos are fascinating and show just how frequently locomotives moved around the yard. In my case I was involved with the preservation of 46521 which at the time of purchase (March 1970) was on a siding nearest to the oil storage area i.e., the inner docks.

Our locomotive was at the Barry Island end of a siding with the torso of 71000 without tender by then at the smokebox end, 45699 Galatea and 6023 King Edward II were behind the tender. Both had all driving wheels in place plus there were many other locos on the same siding towards the Cadoxton end of the yard! We were told by Woodham that it would take months before 46521 would be moved out of the main yard. Release of locos depended on an 08 shunting oil tank wagons into the docks or yet more scrap wagons into the yard, plus the goodwill of the driver and shunter to undertake an “unauthorised shunt”. So, imagine our surprise when the next weekend it was on the set of short sidings near the entrance to the yard from Broad Street.

This move was for us rather like the curates’ egg, good in parts. Now the loco was in an area recognised as storage for preserved locos and unlikely to be plundered for parts. The down side was we had to trudge miles each day seeking missing fittings. However, for 6023 and 45699 it was another story, both locomotives had derailed on the sharp curvature and each had driving wheels flame cut to speed up shunting and avoid a long-winded rerailing process. Later Woodham told us this had happened when 46521 was being moved out!

This photo, courtesy of Peter Brabham but taken by the late Les Ring shows 46521 on its way to preservation.
46521 Barry 050970 Les Ring.jpg
I now have no involvement with this locomotive.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for sharing your first hand experience of extracting a loco from Barry, Roger. They certainly moved around. The next series of photos which will appear on here in due course, taken a year after this lot will reveal how much. I never knew how these were moved around so the info about the use of an 08 fills another gap. I, personally, am also acquainted with 46521 as it's now at the GCR. The Class 2s have been found to be "very useful engines" for almost every occasion.

To tidy up the 3F 0-6-0Ts here are another two. First is 47406. This ended up at Edge Hill, being withdrawn at the end of December 1966, arriving at Barry the following June. It came out of Barry in June 1983, by that time stripped of parts as it was the last of the class to leave. When it moved it was a skeleton of wheels, boiler, cylinder block and platework. It was initially at Peak Rail but was purchased by Roger Hibbert of the GCR in 1989. Restoration took until 2010 when the loco first steamed in preservation. It now awaits its second overhaul at Loughborough.

Potentially of interest here is the chalked name - "King of Edge Hill" - and I wonder who applied the static grass?

47406.  Barry.  18 November 1967 King of Edge Hill. Static Grass  copyright FINAL.  Photo by B...jpg

Finally, for the 3Fs at least, is 47493. This was also an Edge Hill loco being withdrawn a week or so after 47406. It also arrived at Woodhams in June 1967. It moved to Radstock in November 1972, then to Cranmore, and was steamed in January 1976. It has been purchased by the Spa Valley Railway where it is currently undergoing another overhaul.

47493.  Barry.  18 November 1967.  Photo by Brian Dale.  copyright FINAL.jpg

Brian

AJC

Western Thunderer
Finally, for the 3Fs at least, is 47493. This was also an Edge Hill loco being withdrawn a week or so after 47406. It also arrived at Woodhams in June 1967. It moved to Radstock in November 1972, then to Cranmore, and was steamed in January 1976. It has been purchased by the Spa Valley Railway where it is currently undergoing another overhaul.

View attachment 155216

Brian

Ah, a loco' I'm familiar with, having travelled behind it at Cranmore and seen the bits under restoration at Tunbridge Wells more recently. Interesting to note that it had lost its brass fittings at this point: the ejector was replaced with one of the 'right' pattern, but the injectors it has now are evidently from an Austerity saddletank (or ordered direct from Gresham and Craven) on its first preservation overhaul. Rather than being tucked behind the steps, the injectors are placed exactly as they are on the Austerities, in from of the steps with the drains bracketed from them. One for the 'be wary of using a preserved loco' as a basis for your model' file...

Adam

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
As I am visiting friends in Bristol, I missed the opportunity to comment on the Ivatt moguls. Oswestry shed always guaranteed examples of the Ivatt mogul, which, as Larry says, were used on the Llanfyllin Branch. They were also used on the English part of the Cambrian, towards Whitchurch and, perhaps, as far as Crewe. The tender cab was undoubtedly a benefit for crews on the reverse running journeys. Oswestry did have a turntable, but not at the other ends of the “Oswestry branch lines”.

It’s a shame that the Oswestry 2mt ended up at Strathspey, a long way from its “home”.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for your comments Adam. I agree - one should never use a photo of a preserved loco and assume it's correct in every detail.

I guess that Class 2 has done what many if not most locos have done in preservation, and gone to those who saw it and it's potential first. At least it's still about!

We're now in to 2-8-0 territory. First is an 8F. This is 48431, withdrawn from Bath Green Park in May 1964. Interestingly most of its life after 1955 was on the Western Region. It was at Barry in August 1964. It moved to Keighley in May 1972 and entered service at the end of 1975. It's now on static display at Oxenhope.

48431.  Barry.  18 November 1967.  Photo by Brian Dale.  copyright FINAL.jpg

This trip was the first where I saw an S & D 2-8-0 - in fact two of them - so I expended a few frames on them. This first one was rather crammed in to the siding so there's only one photo. It's 53808 , withdrawn from Bath Green Park in February 1964. It arrived at Barry in June the same year. The Somerset and Dorset Circle secured the loco and it moved to Radstock via Bristol in October 1973. It returned to steam in August 1987, some of the work having been done by the WSR. My current information advises that the loco is currently operational on the WSR but there is an indication that it may have moved to the Mid Hants Railway for two years.

53808.  Barry.  18 November 1967.  copyright FINAL.jpg

Brian

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Thanks for your comments Adam. I agree - one should never use a photo of a preserved loco and assume it's correct in every detail.

One of the classics being the ex-London Transport pannier tanks being repainted into GW (or BR) livery and having some of the LT modifications backdated with GW fittings - which is completey and utterly wrong :rant:. Why do it and create a never-has-been loco?

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I just came from breakfast/brunch at the Avon Valley Railway. Only the café is open at Bitton so no chance to see very much. But I did see and snap this ex-Barry 4F cab.

ED45BF2C-30DE-4D9F-B4B4-DD4068C81A7E.jpeg

I assume from the website that the rest of the loco is underrestoration.