7mm Beaufort Mill

adrian

Flying Squad
Just got to get them stained up now. I feel it's easier and more convincing to 'fade/bleach' a dark surface than to darken one that is too light in the first place. Your mileage may vary.
Not that I've got a huge experience in these deliberations but for the few short pieces of track work I selected the Ebony wood dye for the sleepers as being most convincing to my untutored eye.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Given that turnouts could have a life span in excess of 20 years - where circumstances are beneficil - then layout renewal inen t (say) 1937-8 could still be in place until circa 1960 maybe even 1965. So how about a compromise... turnouts on the main may have been renewed in which case restrict 14" to under the 3C and turnouts in sidings get 14" timbers under the switch toes.
I shall ponder on it but whatever I do, I doubt that anyone else viewing my humble efforts will have your knowledge so I also doubt that sleep will be lost!
Dave

daifly

Western Thunderer
I had hoped to go to the S7 National Show today, but my wife is going in to hospital on Monday to have a new knee installed and is obliged to isolate for three days prior. As a consequence, I become subject to the same restriction so used the time today to make progress with the baseboards.
2021-10-09_2.png
The elevated track base is now complete. The near end is a short fiddle yard on both levels. The vertical faces will all be clad in stone - I have a cunning plan for that.
The bridge sides are from MM1. The screws will be fully countersunk and holes filled. The walls under the bridge will also be stone clad and the low-level tracks inset into the road.
2021-10-09_3.png
A little bit of road traffic under the bridge will help set the time and place. (A Griff Fender van and a SWT bus to start with!)

The gap in the rear wall of the viaduct is where a low-relief Beaufort Mill with its loading platform and canopy will sit.
2021-10-09_6.png
This is the inspiration for the Beaufort Mill siding with the preserved 1338 passing on 10Dec62. Photo provenance unknown. I'm hoping to incorporate the mill's bridge as a scenic break at that end of the layout.
1338 at Weavers Mill on 10Dec62.jpeg
Viaduct walls to create, underlay laid and then tracklaying to come. I may be some time.

Dave

Last edited:

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
It’s a shame you couldn’t make the S7 gathering today Dave, but it’s good to see you utilised the time on your layout instead. Looking forward to further updates. :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

daifly

Western Thunderer
Whilst my wife was away in hospital for a few days, I separated the baseboards and painted their sides and did the legs too (they're also from Model Railway Solutions) in Farrow and Ball 'Charleston Grey'. This is a subdued mushroom colour and tones down the starkness of the birch ply.
The baseboards have now been moved back to the man-cave. Photos to follow when they are re-erected.

Last edited:

daifly

Western Thunderer
She’s had a knee replacement so will be several weeks recovering. I’m becoming reacquainted with domestic equipment that I haven’t touched for years. I’m getting the chores done without being too good at things. Don’t want it to become a permanent occupation!

daifly

Western Thunderer
Slow progress over the last few months with other domestic distractions.

I’m using 5mm thick closed cell foam as a track underlay but was concerned about the edges being vulnerable where it meets the baseboard edge. I failed to find any 5mm thick strip wood at any of the local DIY sheds but then found in my timber stash that I had 20 metres of 5 x 20mm tulip wood and walnut strip that had been abandoned here by kitchen fitters a few years ago. This was perfect for the job and strips were cut and glued around the baseboard edges and then the space within was covered with sheets of closed cell foam glued down with a latex adhesive.
Beaufort Mill 23.jpg

I made a couple of fiddle yard cassettes using ply and aluminium angle. A kit of parts.
Beaufort Mill 24.jpg

This is the connecting/adaptor piece with chiselled rebates for the aluminium plug and socket joining. The design is based on a @Ian@StEnochs design on the S7 website (Members Only area - sorry!) Beaufort Mill 25.jpg

The completed adaptor piece. A couple of holes drilled in error visible! The ‘plug’ is at the top, the ‘socket’ at the bottom.
Beaufort Mill 26.jpg

The matching cassette with identical attachments.
Beaufort Mill 27.jpg

The cassette and adaptor joined together. Both ends of the cassette have the same attachment configuration.
Beaufort Mill 28.jpg

The other end engaged.
Beaufort Mill 29.jpg

Although they worked well, found that they I they were tedious to make with a lot of cutting, chiselling, filing, drilling, riveting and screwing. The power transfer to the cassette would be OK though via the snug plug/socket design.

Dave

daifly

Western Thunderer
At Guildex, Stafford, I was able to look at the laser-cut MDF cassette kits produced by Intentio Model Railways and subsequently ordered some. They’re not cheap, but they are accurate, quick to assemble and work well once a method of powering them is devised.
Beaufort Mill 30.jpg

The assembly and powering of these kits is documented in an article I've written for the ScaleSeven website here.

Beaufort Mill 31.jpg

The cassettes have helped to fix the datum track level at the left-hand end of the layout. The design of the cassette system gives a railhead height of 10mm that is a perfect match for Code 125 rail held in e.g. Exactoscale chairs on wooden sleepers on a 3mm cork or closed cell foam base. As I have used 5mm foam I have added a 2mm thick MDF layer to the fiddleyard deck to raise the cassettes and adaptor to the correct height.
Beaufort Mill 32.jpg

Exiting the fiddleyard between a couple of buildings, the track crosses a road with inset, checkrailed track before entering the railway property yard. Within the yard is the first turnout into the exchange siding loop.

Photos to follow when I've built all of that. Please don't hold your breath. I work slowly and intermittently!

Dave

Last edited:

ICH60

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave
What the the name and source of the 5mm thick closed cell foam underlay that you are using?

Ian

daifly

Western Thunderer
I bought it from C&L some time ago when it was still with Pete Llewelyn. I don’t know if they still carry it because navigating the worst website I’ve ever used is an absolute nightmare. Sorry I can’t be more specific than that.
Dave

daifly

Western Thunderer
The running rails and checkrails have been soldered.
BM b.jpg

Another view:
BM c.jpg

I had originally intended to use some very nice Skytrex resin cobbled castings to infill between the checkrails and also for the shoulders - represented here by the grey cardboard. Unfortunately, I had checked the width and they were fine but neglected to check another dimension - they are too thick! I realise now that they're meant to fit rail in chairs and my rails are flat on copper clad.

No matter, as the Swansea prototype had ash or tarmac between the checkrails:
BM d Victoria Road Junction.jpg
BM f 1144 on 28Jul58.jpg
BM e 1152 in Oct 1959.jpg

These three views are of the same spot from diffferent directions in the 50s and early 60s. The bridge in the picture will be behind the van in my second photo above. The track will be blended in to the road surface on the layout - hopefully convincingly! I shall forget about it for now until I get to the scenic treatments. The wagon rolled happily - I just wanted to be sure that the very narrow ScaleSeven flangeway across the road was adequate. It is!

Next task is to bite the bullet and glue down the chairs of the point visible in the first photo.

As an aside, here's a fourth photo probably taken in the mid-20s before electrification (lifted from an auction site) from the other side of the bridge (visible in the background). In the first b&w photo above you can see a line (which I'm not modelling) branching off under the bridge. Up to the bridge the track belongs to the Swansea Harbour Trust railway. Immediately after the bridge and behind the two locos (belonging to and standing on the tracks of the Swansea and Mumbles Railway) is another branch running off behind the large brick building (part of Swansea Victoria Station). That line belongs to the LNWR and connects to their system at the back of the station. The GWR owns the track running across the bridge! Plenty of scope there for some interesting interchange movements!
BM g Locos in Victoria Road.jpg
Dave

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Dave, I have been searching for decent embossed cobblestone and/or granite sett sheets for Moor Street for what seems like years! The nearest decent example I have found was by Kirtley, but these are photographs and are not embossed. But they should fit nicely between the rails.

Paul