Bethesda Sidings

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I've always thought that the plastic webbing just gets in the way, so I normally remove it prior to track painting and ballasting. It's not a job you can really do prior to gluing the track down, though, as the webbing is pretty much essential for maintaining the sleeper spacing etc.

In the past I've painted the track before removing the sleeper webbing. This helps prevent the sleepers moving around whilst cutting the webbing.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Well, if you want good, slow and reliable running for shunting, I cannot recommend the Hattons/DJM mechanism, sorry.

Morning CK.

I am like you, I don't want something that will run as if it's got a bat up its night dress so I won't be playing Hattons roulette thank you very much.

Rob.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
In the past I've painted the track before removing the sleeper webbing. This helps prevent the sleepers moving around whilst cutting the webbing.
You're right, if you're not careful the sleepers can move around, but I've found that adequate finger pressure, plus cutting alternate webs first, helps prevent that.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Thanks Geoff. The problem was, I dared to hope that the Hattons/DJM mechanism could actually improve.

Many of my locos where I am happy with the slow running, have Perseverance or other etched chassis. These days, I always put in compensation, even in OO, which improves pick up qualities.

Glad to see the Presteign (noting correct spelling!) goods running today!

Hi Tim,

I had my doubts about the DJM 14XX chassis following a conversation with Hattons. I asked if they had any idea if the chassis could be converted to EM /P4? No idea was their reply, you need to contact DJM, and provided his contact details. Dave Jones replied saying that he couldn't disclose any intellectual property, and suggested that I contact Hattons! At that point I decided to pull out of ordering the model, glad I did now.

Presteign(e) can be spelt either way, depending on the era that you are modelling, and whether you are Welsh or English, some locals still add the 'e'. There is a photo in Michael Clemens book, 'The last days of steam in Central Wales', which shows 1420 at Presteign,with the outline of the 'e' still clearly visible on the station name board. That would have been in 1964, with closure in September being but a few months / weeks away.

Geoff

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I've now cut the foundations for the goods shed out of the cork underlay. This involved positioning the goods shed (built by Paul Iliff a few years ago) very precisely and testing some locos and rolling stock into the shed itself. Once I was happy with the positioning, I marked all around the base of the walls and cut the cork underlay away:

20180823_152739.jpg

The goods shed was then test fitted:

20180823_152818.jpg

20180823_152854.jpg

20180823_152926.jpg

I've also added a second set of check rails at the end of the goods shed siding, where the access road will cross two lines to get to the goods shed. These short sections of in-laid track will feature setts, scribed on tile grout:

20180823_152750.jpg

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
The motor and the gearbox components for the Perseverance 14XX chassis have just arrived (thanks to High Level for the usual excellent service).

I'm minded to put further work on the layout on the back-burner for a while and concentrate on doing this loco.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Tim,

You didn't go with the full High Level chassis then? Did you already have the Perseverance chassis kit, or was there another reason?

Steph

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Tim,

You didn't go with the full High Level chassis then? Did you already have the Perseverance chassis kit, or was there another reason?

Steph
I did already have the Perseverance chassis, Steph, but then again, I bought it relatively recently, with the specific objective in mind of using it on the Hattons 14XX, if I couldn't get the DJM mechanism to run properly.

You are right about High Level doing what is probably the best chassis and I am very much a supporter and user of Chris Gibbon's products, but there is a peverse side to me (horrified cries of 'surely not!' from the likes of Simon!), in that I firmly believe that the less complicated but still entirely adequate Perseverance product will suffice for what will be a 'layout' loco, rather than one that I will subject to the merciless scrutiny of a modern digital macro lens.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Good grief CK, just read you battle with the 14xx motor extraction. DJM certainly seem to be heading down the 'no user serviceable parts inside' consumer electronics route. I assume that if it breaks the idea is you chuck it in the bin and buy another? Top marks for perseverance (see what I did there?)...

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Thanks chaps.

Getting the proposed new drive train to actually work is dependent on my measurements of the inside of the mazak block being sufficiently accurate, plus the 1015 motor being powerful enough to drive the loco via the 90:1 gearbox that I'm putting in it (the loco will only ever have to crawl into Bethesda Sidings and out again!).

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Just been reading about your interesting and taxing battle with the 14XX over there Tim, glad you are getting on top of things. Trial and error is the name of the game when it comes to jobs like that, but I'm sure it will all be worthwhile in the end.

I'll bookmark your account of doing things just in case I come across a duff example going cheap, thanks for leading the way.

Geoff

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I've published a further update on the 14XX chassis saga on my blog on RMWeb - New chassis for the Hattons 14XX - Part 3

I'm pleased to say that I now feel that I'm starting to make progress. It's now more like any other re-chassis job, with rather more routine jobs left to do such as fitting brake gear and pick ups and then the painting and weathering.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
British Railways, Western Region

Operation of Class D95XX diesel-hydraulics between Leominster (Kington Junction) and Capel Bethesda

Following successful clearance trials, D95Xx 0-6-0 diesel-hydraulic locomotives are permitted to work between Leominster (Kington Junction) and Capel Bethesda goods sidings. All movements are limited to a maximum of 20 mph over this route subject to other prevailing permanent speed restrictions.

The operation of these locomotives remains prohibited between Titley Junction and Presteign and between Capel Bethesda and Gunstone Junction.

A. Cuthbertson

District Operating Superintendant,

Hereford

29th March 1965

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I have started to run my second Hattons/DJM 14XX in (yes, I was stupid enough to fall for their sales ruse recently). This one has a top feed and will be 1420.

Initial indications are not promising, though we still wait in hope at this stage.

A Comet chassis kit is standing by.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
British Railways, Western Region

Operation of Class D95XX diesel-hydraulics between Leominster (Kington Junction) and Capel Bethesda

Following successful clearance trials, D95Xx 0-6-0 diesel-hydraulic locomotives are permitted to work between Leominster (Kington Junction) and Capel Bethesda goods sidings. All movements are limited to a maximum of 20 mph over this route subject to other prevailing permanent speed restrictions.

The operation of these locomotives remains prohibited between Titley Junction and Presteign and between Capel Bethesda and Gunstone Junction.

A. Cuthbertson

District Operating Superintendant,

Hereford

29th March 1965

The operation of these locomotives remains prohibited between Titley Junction and Presteign :eek:

Dear Sir,

I came across this notice in the evening edition of the 'Western Thunderer'.

Has Mr Cuthbertson taken leave of his senses or has someone at Kington engine shed been a very naughty boy! ?

The locomotives in question can often be found working the Cadburys Ford Bridge milk tank trains between Leominster and Llangunllo. They are however prohibited from entering siding No. 3 at Llanbister Rd. up yard.

I await further clarification on this matter.

Your Obedient Servant
Percy Ballcock

Senior Running Foreman Kington.