SimonT

Western Thunderer
Here in Wales radio communication with both EE and BT is poor to non-existant. I have neither here other than a copper wire. Both EE and BT are devices for making extreme amounts of money. They are not devices for providing a service in anywhere other than in a packed metropolitan area.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Well, Simon, not pulling too many punches there!

This morning I ordered a Powerline WiFi booster to get the signal through the concrete block walls and concrete beam floors. I will need a second one for the top floor but thought one would be a good test before buying the second. It should arrive tomorrow so we’ll see how it goes. One of my Airport Extreme’s packed up when I moved it but the other one is extending the Wi-Fi signal with good results. The problem is the Fibre Router is at one corner of the building and the signal doesn’t reach the opposite corner.

Our Epson printer is also refusing to join the new system. And entering the password is an absolute pain only to repeatedly have it rejected.

I also noted that the Livebox name has an 0 in it, or is it an o or an O? Turns out it is the number, not the letter! This actually doesn’t matter as long as you don’t have to enter the network name manually.

Normal service in the Railway Room should restart this weekend. Expect some photos and perhaps a video or two.

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
Just seen this on Facebook

"The NHS internet has gone down again! How can we deliver patient care when we cant rely on the internet working? Our phones work through the internet - all our computers work through the internet. We cant access any records or prescriptions or referrals. This happens far too often. We need more resilient infrastructure. If you are trying to get through bear with us and complain to the NHS IT department. "
Still off apparently

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Weather here has been better than forecast so we spent the morning on the beach before the southern wind picked up. Since then I completed the Moor Street approach road and shot this short video.

The Lee Marsh Jubilee is my most demanding track tester and more demanding of reliable track when running in reverse.

The movie starts on Platform 3 and runs across the double slip, then the better than expected curved point before passing between headshunts and sidings to the point where local trains will pass into the yet to be constructed 2 road fiddle yard. Then the Jub joins the Down main line and next should have moved over onto the Up main line using the scissor crossing.

my next job will be to glue down the track between the fiddle yard point and the point where the approach road joins the existing main line. And add the gap sleepers!

There will be a speed limit on this section of 40/126 dcc steps though I have had no problems running at 60/126.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
No further modelling work done yesterday as all day was spent optimizing the internet cover throughout the village house. Fingers crossed, things are looking OK except that upload speed remains higher than download speed. More heavy rain today so I am now putting the process on hold until later in the week before finally contacting Orange France Telecom.

So, it seems possible the work on the approach road to Moor Street can continue!

BTW, is the video in the previous post visible?

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The track, except the local fiddle yards (which need a RH curved turnout), has now been glued down and extra sleepers/ties added where necessary. Wiring needs to be completed but for now I am well pleased I made the changes. The mojo is on its way back with some desire to model locos and coaches this winter.

One of my Heljan Large Prairies lost a coupling rod bolt which has not been found, so I have been in contact with Gaugemaster who are the UK agents. Initially I contacted the retailer and then Heljan Denmark. Both pointed me to Gaugemaster. One is being sourced for me as I write. I am seriously thinking of putting a dab of Loctite in the holes to keep all the RTR locos running. Has this been a problem for others?

0B9E4611-A2E4-416C-B369-52C58AC6CA9C.jpeg

Last edited:

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
Best to use a nut retainer, just in case you ever want to dismantle it for any reason, if you can't find it available easily, I believe that nail varnish (your choice of colour) will also work.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
How on earth did your Prairie pass inspection at Heljan when the brake gear has been put on the wrong way round and should be facing the rear driver as seen below...
WEB Heljan large prairie.jpg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Thanks for pointing this out, guys! I hadn't noticed and to be honest I pays me pound and I expect to get what I paid for. Which is why I have a Finney7 51xx kit in my stash.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
To secure the screw you could use a drop of nail varnish, it's what keeps the screws in my glasses frames in place.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I sent a picture of the wrong facing brake hanger to Heljan DK with the comment “Is there any quality control these days?” Any response will be posted here.

I also looked at the other Heljan drivers on both Large Prairies and all the other brake hangers are correctly positioned. So the score is 1 in 12.

The nail varnish trick is a good one. As a car restorer I use the term Loctite in the general sense as there are dozens if not hundreds of different products, each with its own set of properties.

Last edited: