LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks Paul. I just came in from the sprayshop and am glad I found this on your thread. They're about £130.00 at the moment but another black Friday is imminent so I'll wait and see. I watched the youtube vids and realised the KS230 is just what I need.....belatedly! By that, I mean I have been sawing small modelling parts on a flippin big chop saw that my friend borrows to cut fencing posts!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Larry

Me too, I have a 10" blade table saw in France which was bought to cut the baseboards. The saw blade does non-ferrous as well as wood so I used it to cut aluminium sheet for the traversers. Not a good idea if the bull is allowed to enter the workshop! KICK BACK!

Simon

I believe it means don't push too hard, let the work flow without stress! That's a Germanic icon for you!

Axminster Tools included a short brochure in the box and I see they make their own tools under various brand names, and all in the UK. There is a branch in Basingstoke, only 24 minutes away, so I will be visiting them one of these days. British made tools do seem to be around, my full size table saw and chop saw are both British, by Evolution in Sheffield. The table saw was even recommended by a Frenchman in Leroy Merlin!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I have been struggling today with finding a better, cost effective way to construct the water tank. With the arrival of the saw table I think I will be able to do without complex brass I beams, channels and angles which can cost a lot. Better to make my own from sheet brass. The I beams under the tank could be cut from styrene extrusions (Maquette brand perhaps) but I would prefer to use metal if possible, so I should make my own; it will just take longer. The tank supports will need some square brass rod (4mm x 4mm) but these are not so expensive and will carry the weight of the tank.

The reason for preferring metal to plastic sheeting is all about the rivets. I have those transfer rivets in France but have never found them easy to apply. Pressing out rivets worked on the traverser plating so I know that will work if I use 0.4mm thick material. The roof at Stratford was corrugated iron sheeting and that can be Plastikard on a suitable frame to fit inside the tank.

And while I have been typing this, Dave Holt has just sent me some photos he took today of the tank at Toddington. Although a reconstruction, the photos give a lot more information on details of the construction, riveting patterns, panel joins, pipework, etc. Thanks, Dave!

pcalkel

I bought one of these Proxxon saws after I melted the bearings of my 12 volt Minicraft saw making plywood sleepers, far better piece of kit, its also much cleaner than the mini craft one with 95% of dust collected in the side pocket which is simple to open and vacuum the sawdust, I can recommend it.
regards
Paul

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Last evening I finally realized that Albion Alloys don't sell direct to the public. An email to them was answered this morning with the recommendation for Alton Model Supplies. It looks like I should pay them a visit though their Gauge O stock may be very small. Even so, if they have what I need in the way of brass materials, so much the better, they're something I would like to see before buying.

I hope they also sell ballast, then that would complete my essential shopping list for the Return to the Railway Room!

And another task completed, the DAPOL 14xx has its Zimo sound system installed. But not tested because all my DCC stuff is in France. It really wasn't difficult though, modern RTR can be very user friendly!

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
There are several sellers of Albion Alloys on ebay, Paul. Try searching by Albion Alloys which will give a complete list in no particular order or by the metal and dimensions you want.

Alternatively try Hobby Holidays, Eileens, Squires, Lankytank (there are other flavours) who can potentially offer a larger range.

Brian

lankytank

Western Thunderer
Paul, if you can get to it - www.wiltshire7mmshow.com on the 4th December, it's not too far from Hampshire - Metalsmiths will be there, as will those nice chaps from Finney7, Duncan Models, Squires...... etc., etc., - think most of what you'd require will be obtainable. :thumbs:

Just saying :rolleyes:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Hi LankyTank

Yes, I have been thinking about attending but, to be honest, I don’t think I should for health reasons. I’ll leave it at that, I don’t want to go off topic on this one.

Stay safe, Paul

AJC

Western Thunderer
I can recommend Alton Model Centre having been the other week: they certainly stock ballast, adhesives and most general supplies you could wish for, along with a very good range of just about everything. I wasn’t looking for 0 gauge but I seem to remember Dapol wagons.

Adam

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
A bit of a hiatus from Moor Street while I wait for supplies. The Motor House has been getting some attention instead. It needs electricity so that a small heater can help to keep it dry and comfortable. Lighting is currently temporary via an extension cord from the adjacent old workshop which is where the contract breaker box is located. An electrician has inspected the existing wiring and will be using it to feed a power circuit and a lighting circuit into the Motor House. He will also add two 2 gang continental sockets which I brought back from France. I am not sure how much modelling will be done there as I have a work table in the house, but if I need to get away, it's there!

Last edited:

Graham Bustin

Paul,

I can recommend Alton Model Centre.
They have a growing O Gauge stock, kits and RTR, plus all the plasti card, tools , glues, metals and books.
A good old fashioned model shop with helpful staff.
Alton is a nice town to visit, your wife should not object. Better to visit when the Watercress Railway is running and make a day of it.
Graham

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the guidance on where to buy stuff. I like to support all sorts of outlets, local and mail order and try to spread my meagre funds across the board. That being said, good service gets attention, it’s part of lessons learned from living for 23 years in the USA where customer service rules the day. Those companies in the UK (and France) that live up to certain standards will always get my attention, so getting two positives in the last three posts can be considered a bit of a wake up call!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
How would you get by train from Alcester to Moor Street in the late 1950s?

With difficulty but Rule 1 to the rescue, perhaps. First, the Alcester branch line would have to stay open after WWII. Next, the track layout would determine no direct link from Alcester to Moor Street so the auto train would have to do one of the following

1. Leaving Alcester the train would proceed to Wilmcote, change direction and then travel north on the North Warwickshire Line.
2. Leaving Alcester the train would travel to Stratford, then change direction and travel north on the North Warwickshire Line. The difference with (1.) above would be a longer journey time.
3. Leaving Alcester the train would proceed to Bearley, then take the north curve at Hatton Junction to gain the main line via Solihull to Moor Street. No reversal needed but a longer journey.

Another option would be for passengers to change at Stratford, Hatton or even Leamington Spa. But they also had another option, to travel New Street via Redditch. Which probably explains why the Alcester Branch closed.

But when you have nice 14xx locomotives, what the heck!

E3633FEE-745E-4A08-B15E-C188FFAA6D74.jpeg

Looks like we need an autocoach!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Damn it, feeling grotty today. Went out to the Motor House and cut a piece of ply to act as the recommended base for the Proxxon saw table, recently acquired. The idea is that the base can be clamped to a work bench or table to give stability. Having done that and a few small jobs I collapsed into a chair, had a bowl of soup for lunch and then went to bed. Now feeling a bit better, but what is going on? A lovely, sunny if cold day and all my senses should have been running on a high.

I haven’t had my flu jab yet, that will be next week, because, wait for it, our local surgery “cannot send an SMS to a foreign mobile”. We had a similar problem when an emergency happened while visiting Sri Lanka and I could not book an appointment from overseas for our return. That was a different surgery but it seems there is a wide variation between what they can and can’t do. A good friend’s 96 year old mother, who happily lives alone, was offered her Covid booster and flu shot. The doctor visited her at home and gave one shot in each arm!

With cases on the rise and no one wanting to wear masks I am getting just a little concerned, a concern that never happened during 2 months in France because people were wearing masks and had to show a “pass sanitaire” to visit a café or restaurant or stay in a hotel.

So we are pretty much in a state of self imposed lockdown. Which should mean more modelling time.

Let’s hope this is the case, a bundle of brass materials is on its way!

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
It's amazing just how many people are living in a fools paradise. We had 2 jabs and still got it, albeit not as bad as it otherwise would have been. We got it from our then unvaccinated son, so you can guess who we blame. Both had boosters and flu jabs since then.

So all in all you are being very sensible.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Today I did nothing, except receive a parcel. It has taken me many month to chose a spray gun that ticked all the boxes - quality, price, fine nozzle (1.3mm), ideal for car spraying but also smaller items with a medium sized air compressor (2-1/2 HP, 50 l tank). By DeVilbiss, their Starting Line SLG 610 fitted the bill and there was just one left in stock. A quick PM to LarryG for a professional's advice and the order was placed. Now I am looking for various supplies and accessories to go with it.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
As I type this, I have just had a doctors consultation and so after 8 days have at last been prescribed medication. Back in the 1960's smoky Manchester area, we used to go to work with bad throats & chests and I remember smog even penetrated the bus garage already full of tobacco smoke and the sound of coughing. Todays colds and flu' are flippin' evil, but maybe I only think that becasue I'm not young now. :rolleyes: