Bob's Workbench

Bob

Western Thunderer
Like most BR(W) or GWR modellers I have numerous 57XX class Pannier Tanks. Only 1 however is used on the layout at exhibitions and this is because the half dozen resting in my stock box show how(hopefully) what I expect on a model has changed through the years. In simple terms each one is intended to be more detailed than the last.
My latest example appeared 2 years ago and I was never completely satisfied that it was not fitted with a flywheel. This was due to the etched body kit including a detailed backhead. As the backhead simply cannot be seen at normal operating or viewing distances I decided to very carefully remove the backhead area and allow for a flywheel.
Once I dismantled the chassis I thought "what the heck" , why not make a replacement one?
The chassis kit in question is made by Brynkits, a supplier of 3mm scale kits and is a very neat and simple fold-up design but with no provision for suspension. I decided to leave it as rigid and perhaps toy with the idea of some sort of suspension on the next one.

20130804_172013.jpg

Over the last week I've reached this stage. My trusted 18w Antex iron was more than capable of dealing with things but my RSU came in handy for some of the more delicate overlays especially the brake shoes. A trip out into the garage this evening with a Halfords matt black rattle can and my ever so expensive spray booth (ok, a cardboard box;)) and the job is done.
The motor will be my standard Mashima 9-16 with one of Branchline's lovely "Slimline" gear cradles.
Now, driving wheels can be an issue in 3mm scale and as I hate quartering the things I've relied up to now on the RP25 Romford range. They are somewhat chunky though and as The 3mm Society now do the finer "SQ" range I decided to make the switch to these.
20130804_172226-1.jpg

Bob

Western Thunderer
Ah well, a minor setback......it appears the SQ wheels don't like one of the points in the goods yard:(.

It is a tad tight in curvature and whilst little-used the pannier is going to be the main branch loco and should be capable of going anywhere.

No reflection on the wheels of course which are recommended.

So I've fitted a new set of Romford's which whilst being a bit on the chunky side compared to the SQ's will enable reliable running and at shows that's what matters. Carefully painted and a touch of metal black they'll be ok.................he says crying into his beer:'(.

Onwards and upwards with plotting the 14.2 layout on a beer mat. For that one it's back to the Camerton branch as inspiration. There's a chap on RM web :eek: who's doing Camerton itself and it looks super.

Bob

Bob

Western Thunderer
Just lately I've put some of my free time (what there is of it) into this beauty. It's a Hawksworth Brake 3rd from Allan Doherty's Worsley Works range of kits. Lots of extras added as the ends are supplied as blanks so the RSU came in handy for adding steps and other gubbins fashioned from brass section and wire etc. Apologies for the image quality.
20131211_202539.jpg

I've always had a soft spot for Hymeks and recall admiring Triang's model in their catalogue 40 years ago. I never did get one and so I was delighted to receive this resin-cast body in the post this morning. Obviously it needs a modest amount of fettling but I'm over the moon with it. It comes from Bruce Smetham and is from the second batch of the kit. The first having one side the same as the other which of course is wrong. One cannot of course see both sides at once but this howler has thankfully been corrected now. The casting is very well done and only a couple of minute bubbles are present and these are easily rectified. Motorising will be no problem and the number chosen will be 7017, the only one I recall seeing in traffic for BR.

20131221_161107.jpg

Bob

Western Thunderer
Thanks.
The jury's still out on that one Jordan. Whilst they look great in BR blue who can resist them it green?
I just don't know!:eek::confused:

Regards to all,

Bob

Office Christmas party last night and thankfully no hangover (despite a valiant attempt).....I just ache all over from too much dancing...........hadn't jived in years :)).

Bob

Western Thunderer
Good grief:eek: it's May already...........I have been busy modelling (when more boring things allow) and this is the result of some of my time. Started last October it was shown part-built in a previous post. It served as a nice filler project between sessions working on the layout.

20140504_113223 - Copy.jpg